PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite RTS games?

RubyEclipse
08-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Thought about making this a poll, but that would be rather limiting.

With Universe at War soon on it's way, what are your other favorite RTS games, and why are they among your favorites?

utred
08-22-2007, 03:50 PM
CoH, WC3 and Starcraft are my favorite games.

All 3 a different style but all ownage.

hags
08-22-2007, 03:54 PM
AoE2 (skirmish), the entire CnC series, with Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Wars being the three favourites, Generals the exception (Too bland), also Warcraft III (campaign)and Starcraft (Ideas).

Earth 2150 isnt half-bad either.

Aoe2 because its fun to build up a huge base, go trough time, recruit/upgrade a huge army, and see them battle/win the war by building and holding a wonder/collecting relics. Also, while the music could ring cheap in the ear, it is highly atmospheric and memorable. Plus, i reckon its 2D graphics still striking.
But what i like the most about it, is watching all the villagers gathering ressources.

Tiberian Dawn because it introduced a very deep story about the differing viewpoints of two parties and their struggle, with an ambiguous material and the music, full motion videos and units we all got to love.

Red Alert 2, because the FMVs were vastly entertaining, the units imaginative, and the conflict between Sovjets and Allies very intriguing.
Music was striking, again, and the graphics were much sharper, while the gameplay itself tighter.

Tiberium Wars, because it took this more than a decade old concept and put it in a wonderfully designed and polished veil, with almost everything that a modern RTS stands for, while still maintaining the fast, effectladen, striking and simply super-cool battles between Nod, GDI and the newly introduced Scrin.

Warcraft III, because it blurred the limits between RTS and RPG, in a campaign thats pulling on your heart and brain at the same time.
It looks wonderful, and the CGI videos still amaze me.
Also, it offers 4 quite different factions.

Starcraft, because it came up with three perfectly balanced and imaginative factions, which, next to CnCs, are the coolest the human mind ever created.

And, last but not least, Earth 2150, for the almost unlimited combinations of mechs youll build as you wish, all the neat weapon and defense upgrades which are applicable for buildings too, and the depressing main storyline that is rather imagineable (Collect ressources to have enough fund for your faction and leave the earth).
On a side note, all those short recruitement and news videos made the game seem even more realistic.

slornie
08-23-2007, 12:52 PM
UAW :P

I also like SWEAW/FOC, Warcraft II, and Red Alert 1/2.

Gwaihir
08-23-2007, 04:36 PM
- All command and conquer series EXCEPT for Tiberium Wars and Renegade.

-UAW ofcourse.

-SWEAW, just because it was SW.

-WC3

-Starcraft

-Earth 2150

Markp
08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Red Alert 1 and 2 are at the top of my list forever, I don't play them alot these days but the impact and amount of time I spent playing it is just massive. I still ramble on with some of the unit responses when I'm bored or alone :).

Close second is warcraft 3 really fun game, the custom maps were like an expansion pack.

then in no particular order: CNC3, cnc1 (tiberian dawn), Rise of nations, starcraft

Cow60Moo
08-23-2007, 08:31 PM
SC

everything pales in comparison =)

vb
08-24-2007, 03:00 AM
- Earth 2150 (thx for crappy 2160, Zuxxez >.>)
- Starcraft (Even if the interface sucks hardcore)
- SupCom (Non-diverse factions doesn't matter)
- UaW
- C&C Series, including Generals, but I didn't play TW

Piglet
08-28-2007, 04:56 AM
Currently:

Tiberian Sun

Red Alert

Homeworld 2

Empire at War + Expansion

And some more.

Games I hope that will join my list:

Universe at War

Kane's Wrath

Halowars

And the latest Settlers.

Nestian
08-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Dawn of War: Love the IP and the squad based combat was just fun. CoH had squad based combat, but it really felt too micromanaged considering there was only 2 sides to play. DoW had several factions which varied the strategy a bit, which is something CoH greatly needs.

Starcraft (of course?): Not much to say, its just a very solid game.

Dune 2000: Love the IP, though the game seemed to run a little slow for my tastes.

Warcraft 2: Granted, the game had its faults, but I really didn't like the hero emphasis that was put onto WC3. WC2 was one of the first RTS games that I was really into, even though I'd been playing RTS games since Warcraft 1.

Omni^
08-28-2007, 10:51 PM
CoH, WC3 and Starcraft are my favorite games.

All 3 a different style but all ownage.

Right on the money :) The main reason I'm so interested in UaW though is because I'm kindof annoyed that Relic can't balance CoH all that well, so I'm gonna give 'em a few months and see what happens :P

Thundertactics
08-29-2007, 01:14 AM
SupCom, becuz enourmous amounts of units.

UAW, becuz it's awesome.

Warzone 2100, becuz it wuz the first 3d rts and you could customise your units. (Like Earth 2150 but that came later). And it was the first RTS I ever played.

AoE 2, becuz it wuz fun.

Empire Earth series, becuz you have a lot of ages.

PrinnySquad
08-29-2007, 02:14 AM
Companies of Heros, even just for blasting bits out of buildings :)
Dawn of War, becuase it's fun, and I like the IP.
UAW, because it looks interesting.
Red ALert 2 is my favourite C&C of all time.

Karma Cowboy
08-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Dune 2, Generals + zero hour, Renegade,

ch0m1k
08-29-2007, 06:51 AM
Command & Conquer series ofcourse :)

Star Wars Empire At War

Company of Heroes and other WWII RTSes

Warcraft 3

HeirachyFood
08-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Entire dune series...

Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2... (all inclusive of expansion packs)

Entire Dawn of War series...

Think tats bout it...

Ghostly Substance
08-29-2007, 11:08 AM
- Rise of Nations with Thrones and Patriots expansion
- Rome Total War (If its not an RTS well it is to me)
- Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars Empire at War + Forces of Corruption
- Homeworld 2 with mods
- Universe at War
- Warcraft 3 only for its unique non skirmish maps.

Project Dark Fox
08-29-2007, 12:49 PM
The first Red Alert is my favorite. It's what got me started on Command and Conquer, and through someone letting me borrow First Decade I can play it as long as I want long after giving the game back.
Only used it to install the first two games. Heh.

Tiberian Sun, I'm glad that still works under the XP environment. A little slower than Red Alert but with all of its new additions (pavement, burrowing, terraforming, just to name a few) it definitely feels fresh each time I pick it up.

Anyway, yeah. For some reason I didn't get into StarCraft all that well. Maybe it was too slow for my taste.

Levelpart
08-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Warcraft 3- I've been playing this for 4 years and I'll never get tired of it.

Civilization II (I played this on playstation :D )

And now I'm starting to play Cnc3 again since they are fixing all the bugs and imbalances

Vorlin
08-29-2007, 03:07 PM
I'd say mine are WC3, SC, and now CNC3... COH is a great one too and looks like WIC will definitely bring some new light in deployment to the RTS realm.

Black Mercury
08-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Let's see....Dune series, Starcraft series, C&C series, Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne, Age of Empires series. And lately I have found a new RTS that has wetted my appetite, Dawn of War and Winter Assault. These games rock.

[SAS]Hunter28
08-29-2007, 08:36 PM
The only RTS games I really enjoy is the C&C series (before EA bought out westwood, they totally destroyed the name. :( ) and the Dawn of War series. I still believe that C&C gold is the best made RTS game around, think about it, Westwood set the standards for all RTS games.

Westwood is the reason why I signed up for this beta. I heard that some westwood members went to Petroglyph Games. :wink:

C&C forever!! :D

Long Live Westwood

dinwrest
08-29-2007, 09:01 PM
I've never tried the C&C series but I want to. The demo wouldn't start on my computer for some odd reason.

Looking a the games on my desk I have:

-Dawn of War
-Empire at War
-Battle for Middle-Earth
-Rise of Legends
-Rise of Nations
-Black & White 2 (if you consider that an RTS)
-Age of Mythology
-Age of Emprires III
-Warcraft III
-Impossible Creatures

I hardly play any of those :lol: .

ShrkySN
08-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Total War series

WarCraft 2

and hopefully Universe at War..

PSU_Castor
08-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Starcraft, Dawn of War. Moreso Dawn of War lately, but Starcraft was one of the first that I really got into.

Hierarchy 117
08-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Dawn of war series, cac series, Empire earth 1 to 2, supreme commander, civilization 4, age of empire 3 and expansion, tar wars forces of corruption.

jazamora07
08-31-2007, 03:51 AM
All warcraft (cept WoW of course)
starcraft
generals, zero hour (main favorite)
empire earth

Evil Yoda
09-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Alright i think
-CoH
-starcraft
-Warcraft 3
-Empire Earth 2
--and don't forget the master of all RTS Supreme Commander.

Ringtails
09-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Starcraft: Brood War

...and that's about it.

Soul_fear
09-13-2007, 11:31 PM
my lists of fav Strategy games

-Rise of Legends
-Total Annihilation (with CC and BT)
-Rise of Legends (with T&P)
-Empire Earth
-WC3
-C&C2 red alert
-Rome Total War

TheRoadToDawn
09-14-2007, 09:04 PM
My favorites include, of course if you know me from the CNCNZ forums, is the entire Command and Conquer Series, Emperor Battle For Dune, Dune 2000, and AOE (1+2).

Squirrel Lord
09-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Any C&C game except for the original Red Alert (Red Alert 2 was great)

Any strategy game by Blizzard

Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander

Also, there's a little game called Metal Fatigue that holds a special place in my memories. It wasn't all that good, but it was cool.

And, if it counts, Sacrifice.

Nietzsche
09-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Red Alert. Nothing can beat the original tank rush...

While this is not technically a RTS, Sole Survivor was an interesting concept.... I still have the box.

Secant
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Dawn of War-because of the gritty fast-paced action and strategy the game had.

and my other one (which suprises me that no one said this one yet) is Homeworld. That game was awesome.

edcalaban
10-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Anyone remember Outpost 2? That was good.

Total Annihilation, Starcraft, C&C Tiberian Sun, SupCom, etc.

RPG-29
10-20-2007, 01:50 AM
Ive played many rts games (e.g. Earth series, C&C series, WC3 and SC etc.) My favorite rts games are:

C&C Tiberian Sun

C&C Tiberian Dawn

Starcraft

Thandor

C&C Red Alert

Dr.Pain.
01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
1. Starcraft

2. CNC3

3. UaW

4. FA

5. Red Alert 2/Yuri revenge

And probaly in the future

1. Starcraft 2

2. Kanes wrath

3. UaW expantion :D

smokeybravo
02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
The Age of Empires series makes any other RTS look like a complete joke.

H4yw1r3
06-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Mine are

1)Starcraft (Broodwar)--> Protoss ftw, can't wait for starcraft 2.
Great story line and also the three factions that were very well balanced.

2)Dawn of war series
If you got a hold of all the expansions and stuff... So many different factions to chose from... :D loads of fun

3)UAW
Not much to say but awesome. ^_^ to bad the campaign doesn't go past the novus campaign. :(

4)Red alert 2
The originality of the units and the campaign.

Spectreofwar
06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Mine are
3)UAW
Not much to say but awesome. ^_^ to bad the campaign doesn't go past the novus campaign. :(

Yes it does...

There's a Hierarchy campaign and almost half a Masari campaign after the Novus one.

-J

H4yw1r3
06-12-2008, 01:03 PM
H4yw1r3 wrote:
Mine are
3)UAW
Not much to say but awesome. ^_^ to bad the campaign doesn't go past the novus campaign. Sad

Yes it does...

There's a Hierarchy campaign and almost half a Masari campaign after the Novus one.
not for me, game freezes up after the first campaign. black screen... :(
no solution for it yet besides downloading the next savegame.

So just have to wait.

Best games to come--> starcraft 2 and dawn of war 2 :D

Angelus321
08-27-2008, 09:04 AM
UAW
Command and conquer 3 tiberium Wars,+Kanes Wrath
Red Alert 2
Red Alert 1
BOTS
Earth 2150
Forged Alliance
Empire Earth 1