PDA

View Full Version : Game Freezes - Disc has a "ring of death"

ssj3sean
10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
This is the 2nd game Ive owned for the 360 that my disc has a scratched ring around it, the 1st game being Oblivion. Why does it do that? It is because I played it too much?

I can get to the character select screen, but then when it loads up to where I can move around, anywhere from my room, guardians hq, parum, you name it. It freezes a couple seconds after it finishes loading. Even the music skips or doesnt even play.

Ive seen lvl 40's already, and obviously they've been playing twice as long as I have, and I'm lvl 21, and logged 31 hours since thursday afternoon. They dont seem to have a problem with the disc.

I got mine from Gamestop, should I just go ahead and exchange it since it is clearly damaged? Gamestop does even exchanges right?

All I would like to know is what would cause what I like to call, the "ring of death" scratch

If anyone can help with this, I'd really appreciate it, thanks

Starman
10-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Regarding the scratches on the disc itself - Are you moving your xbox around with the disc in the drive? If so this has been known to lead to damaged discs. I'd suggest removing any media from the drive if you need to move your 360 around that includes laying/standing on its side/base.

As for if Gameshop does exchanges - well I don't know personally as I'm UK based and retail law is different here. But I would think providing you've got your proof of purchase, and are only asking for an exchange I shouldn't see any reason why they should not swap it for you.

Billkwando
10-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Gamecrazy will resurface the disc for a few dollars.....and with a professional machine, not a friggin game doctor.

I killed my Medal of Honor that way.....not good for xbox games.

captain nintendo
10-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Are you playing your 360 while it is laying flat, or while it is standing up?

I highly reccomend that everybody use the 360 while it is laying flat. Also, as said previously... Do not move the 360 around while playing a disc.

I had this problem when I originally bought my PS2 on launch day. I played a game while my PS2 was standing up, and I got the circle of death. Been playing it flat ever since, and have not had a single problem in 5 years!

I own a 360, and I apply the same logic to it as well :wink:

Thuggles
10-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Many of the 360 DVD drives are crap, I doubt it's your fault. You'll need to get your xbox repaired or it'll damage more games. You can return games to EB or Gamestop within 7 days of purchase to exchange it for the same product. And "Ring of death" generally refers to the 3 red lights I believe.

I just read you played Oblivion too. If you decide to get it repaired they'll want your entire xbox (HDD specifically.) They don't need it, if you're persistant you should be able to keep your hard drive.

KaiserStrafe
10-31-2006, 05:12 AM
Many of the 360 DVD drives are crap, I doubt it's your fault. You'll need to get your xbox repaired or it'll damage more games. You can return games to EB or Gamestop within 7 days of purchase to exchange it for the same product. And "Ring of death" generally refers to the 3 red lights I believe.

I just read you played Oblivion too. If you decide to get it repaired they'll want your entire xbox (HDD specifically.) They don't need it, if you're persistant you should be able to keep your hard drive.

This post is false. When you send your 360 to get it fixed, they specifically tell you not to send them your hard drive. Also 90% of the "Ring of Deaths" around the CD result in people having their 360 standing up or moving it while the system is on. The system is not broken if it creates that ring around your CD. Also the 7 days is a lie as well...thats only with used items, not systems. I think you need to read up on your information.

Alucard1015
11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Actually you have 7 days to return an unopend package to get a full refund and used items its 30 days. Your best bet is taking it to Gamestop and explaning your problem and hope they will do a onetime switch of discs. Thats what i did when my Oblivion disc got that ring on it but, that happend when my dog pulled on my ethernet cable and it jarred my system.

Thuggles
11-02-2006, 08:57 PM

This post is false. When you send your 360 to get it fixed, they specifically tell you not to send them your hard drive. Also 90% of the "Ring of Deaths" around the CD result in people having their 360 standing up or moving it while the system is on. The system is not broken if it creates that ring around your CD. Also the 7 days is a lie as well...thats only with used items, not systems. I think you need to read up on your information.
I was talking about the game, I worded it wrong is all. Way to make yourself look like a :):):):):):) though.