PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast and Saturn more available

Trev186
12-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi,

I applaud that some Dreamcast titles are being re-released on current generation consoles. I understand that this can be time consuming and in some cases impossible licensing wise. Also many games only have niche or cult followings making it unlikely we will see these games ported to other systems (Dragonforce, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shenmue, etc).

Because of this many people have turned to emulation to replay these old classics. Even those who would gladly pay for a used copy are forced down this road because the rarity of many of the original discs (I have seen Panzer Dragoon Saga sell for over $500 on Ebay).

My suggestion is that Sega release their own emulator for their systems and sell them. Now I am sure this will be met with resistance but let me state more arguments:

1. People are doing it anyways and in fact with your systems have an added incentive to do it because the games are more scarce

2. Sell the official emulator. You can make profit and seeing how you have the source it would not be too difficult to make

3. You can also sell digital copies of the games which work in the emulator. Sure others can find the games on the internet for free but they are also unreliable, hosted on sites clogged full of spyware and viruses. If you give people a quick, easy and cheap way to purchase a digital copy of the game most will gladly accept it.

4. Since Sega legally cannot reproduce some games for console remakes because their agreement with those companies was only with a specific console an emulator provides a work around because the digital version of the game sold is the same as the game used on the original console

5. An emulator is easier to port to other devices and operating systems. This would allow Sega to serve a much larger customer base at a lower cost than cutting deals with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. Anyone who has PC, or cell phone could play Sega titles through the emulator. See the below petition started by Android users begging the homebrew community for a Saturn or Dreamcast emulator on their cell phones.
http://www.petitiononline.com/AndSega/petition.html

I understand you may not want to give up your old ways of doing business with disc media but please consider my request as way to bring joy to many of your fans rather than make them spend hundreds of dollars or pirate your companies work to play a single game.

I understand this may not happen now but disc based media is fast and fading. Please bring your fans joy by allowing us to buy games from you legally for a reasonable price as opposed to paying hundreds for a single game on Ebay or resorting to piracy.

MusicVideo
12-04-2010, 03:35 PM
I heart this ! This makes total sense because its ABOUT TIME someone said that.

Hedgefox
12-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Have you heard of Zeebo?

Sega could put Dreamcast & saturn games on it since it's a console based on digital downloads only.

a bee
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Sub-GHz ARM11 can't handle that.

Adam3k3
12-05-2010, 04:50 AM
SEGA is too smart for an idea like this....

Starlight Rage Zone
12-05-2010, 05:29 AM
I think SEGA lost some of the source code for some of their Saturn based games, which explains why they haven't re-released them yet.

I do agree though, put the emulator on the consoles then ask the likes of Konami, Capcom etc to place their games on it...as some people want to play the likes of Sexy Paridous and the likes of Panzer Dragoon.

*I say consoles because emulating something like a Saturn on a portable wouldn't exactly work out that well...whereas PC users are using Steam more and more, which would force SEGA to pay Valve instead...at the risk of their games dropping in price to entice deals...at least if they pay Microsoft or Sony a set amount to emulate the games, then they can gain a profit as the games will be set in price (even if it's 1200 points/$15/13). I'd rather pay that then the original copy that could go for 200...at least Neo Geo games are cheaper to emulate.

hazuki_dojo_98
12-05-2010, 03:27 PM
That sounds good. I never even really dreamed of playing some of those classics.

Hedgefox
12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Zeebo needs more support for it's digital downloads, while game consoles that we have now use CD's for storing games Zeebo is disc free and stops piracy.

Sega should put Dreamcast and Saturn games on it to help a emerging market that could come to the u.s and u.k and never again would we have to go to game stores or even buy physical copies and games wouldn't be able to be pirated.

Trev186
12-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the comments. I still think they should not limit it to consoles. Just keep it as a simple closed source emulator and port it to multiple systems. This way they can have it everywhere.

voltz
12-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Piracy is about the only thing most people can resort to when certain games get way over-gouged on ebay.

I know some say that's just the way the market is, but even you know this it ridiculous.

Trev186
12-15-2010, 04:12 PM
http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/15/sega-dreamcast-emulator-android/