PDA

View Full Version : Sega Genesis and Sega CD model 1

takashirose
05-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Can you guys tell me what is the model number of the ac adapters for the sega genesis and sega cd model 1 units? I have mine hooked up, but have a hard time to tell the difference. I hooked up the model # 1602 to my genesis 1 and model # 1602-3 to my Sega CD because my Sega CD needs 9 volts. Can you guys help me.

PsychoMistress
05-14-2007, 08:38 PM
IIRC, the Sega CD 1 & 2, and the Genesis 1 all use the same ac adapter - MK-1602.

I've never heard of a 1602-3.

Edit: Oh, it's a variation for the Genesis 1.

So, 1602 for Sega CD, and 1602-3 for Genesis. But, they should still have the same specs.

takashirose
05-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Oh, ok. It's just that the two adapters vary by one volt and have different wattage. I connected my sega cd with the one that has the same voltage, which I believe the sega cd came with. They feel and look similar, but I remember my genesis adapter having adeeper grooves. The instuctions manual for the sega cd model unit said to use the genesis adapter for the genesis and the sega cd adapter for the sega cd. But both adapters say that they are for Genesis use. The instructions has the specifications and I followed that. What happened was that I disconnected my adapters from my genesis and sega cd and had a tough time trying to tell the difference. But I judged by touch.

PsychoMistress
05-15-2007, 09:10 AM
I dunno.

When I bought my Sega CD in 93-94, the factory AC adapter was the exact same one as my Genesis 1.

Throughout the years, there were a few different adapters used - most likely because the systems were manufactured elsewhere to cut costs. I'm guessing the 1602-3 is one of those.

From Sega Support:

If your Genesis has a gray reset button, try plugging the AC adapter from the Sega CD into the Genesis to see if the Sega CD adapter is working.

That may or may not take into consideration the variant adapter.

Here is what the original adapter for the first relese of the model 2 Sega CD should say:

Model: MK-1602

Plug-in Power Supply for use with Genesis Console

Class 2 transformer

Input: 120V AC 60 Hz 18W
Output: 9V DC 1.2A

Okay, here's the difference. The Sega CD should consume approx. 18W.

The Genesis should consume approx. 35W.

I see in the manual what you're talking about on page 5, so make sure the 18W adapter goes to the Sega CD.

Hope this answers your question.

takashirose
05-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Right now I plugged my 1602-3 a/c adapter that has:

Input: 120V AC 60 Hz 18W
Output: 10V DC 1.2A

into my Genesis.

Into my Sega CD 1 I plugged in my 1602 a/c adapter:

Input: 120V AC 60 Hz 35W
Output: 9V DC 1.2A

Is this o.k.? I looked at the voltage and not the wattage. In addition, my Genesis controller looks like my original one because of its grooves. It just feels like the same adapter I've been using with my genesis since 1992. The thing is that both adapters look 98% the same. The Sega CD and Genesis works fine by the way.

PsychoMistress
05-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Okay, I have absolutely no clue why I reverted to thinking this was a model 2. I guess I got mixed up with my own system.

In the back of your Sega CD manual, there should be a page (24 I think) that says "Sega CD Hardware Information"

The first category is Physical Characteristics.

Look that over. Should have the wattage listed as 18W.

Whatever is listed there (should be the same as mine) is what you want from the AC adapter for the Sega CD.

takashirose
05-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I called sega parts and they said that the adapters were the same and that sometimes Sega would print on the adapter specifications that are off by a little bit from what's in the manual, but they work together. Well my Sega CD works just fine. The only thing that bothers me is the interference with my RF adapter. I want to get an a/v cable because my Sega CD causes most of it. But the picture is viewable. Anyway, thanks for responding. :)

PsychoMistress
05-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Ah, good deal. I still don't get the spec difference though. Didn't they know they would confuse people?

Anyway, yeah RF adapters are nasty. There are A/V cables for the genesis all over Ebay though, and it's soooooooooo worth it.

Too bad you have a model 1 Genesis, because I have a whole box full of factory boxed A/V cables for the Genesis 2.

Here's where I got mine, but the ones they send are the yellow/white, not the red/yellow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AV-CABLE-for-SEGA-Genesis-1-1601-Master-systems_W0QQitemZ110128075641QQihZ001QQcategoryZ36 42QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

takashirose
05-17-2007, 05:32 PM
No worries. I can get a Genesis 1 a/v cable through sega-parts.com . Or I could go to my local Digital Press Video Games store. In addition last June, I bought a brand new, official a/v cable for my Genesis Nomad, which takes the same exact a/v cable as the Genesis 2. It's great, but now I have my Sega Genesis and Sega CD hooked and use that more. In order to get Stereo sound with that, it is a little trickeier because I need to connect a mixing cable from my genesis 1 to my Sega CD 1, then use the Sega Genesis 1 a/v cable, but only plug in the video. And then plug in a regular male-male stereo audio cables from my Sega CD to my TV. It's all in the instructions. Some people don't even care to have instructions, which I always recommend.