PDA

View Full Version : Classic Bait & Switch

CapedCrusader
05-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Dear Sega,

Shame.

Again, shame.

I played the PS3 version of this game, and thought it was alright. So, when the PC version came out, I bought it.

Of course, there was no press about the fact that there were two versions of the game. After Spiderman 2, I can understand that.

But what did you think the PC gamers reaction to this would be?

Did you think we'd be happy with this travesty? What planet are you on?

And you knew that, since this was a software purchase, we wouldn't be able to return it and get our money back. So one can only assume this was intentional.

You lost a customer over this fiasco. I will never purchase another Sega product, be it hardware or software. You've broken my trust, and I think you will never earn it back because I truly don't believe it matters to you.

Marvel should revoke your license, and refuse to grant you any more of their properties to mangle. I read somewhere here from an A2M developer that they've been trying to get Sega as a client for years. It appears to me that you've used these people and discarded them, as the gaming public won't trust them any more either.

I truly hope that you'll take these comments to heart, and seriously review any product from the consumer's point of view before releasing it. A 5-year-old could have told you this would cause problems. If this is the best your product review and quality assurance departments can do, I suggest you find someone else to perform that task.

I can't find the words to express how deeply disappointed I am in both your company, the developers of this version of the game, and Marvel Comics for letting you do this.

Jax
05-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Sooooooo....You are saying that it is SEGA's fault for a game that A2M made?

Mr.Deviance
05-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Sooooooo....You are saying that it is SEGA's fault for a game that A2M made?
Don't know who you are trying to defend but yeah what that person said above you, is the purest way of stating the truth and concealing his vial anger and hatred, something that I can't do.
SEGA is the name of the one who let that company do such a low class product. After such an abomination sega shouldn't of let that :):):):) to be released in public and this is FACT!
When your car is broken where do you :):):):):), to the company that sold your car or to the working hand that left flaws inside after they were done assembling it?
It's so easy to figure this one out.
I am a customer and I say SEGA IS GUILTY!

Jax
05-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Well...That is true. But as many movie games are...These titles might have been rushed to meet the date of the movie.

I'm not sure if SEGA or Marvel are in control of the time factor though.

Kubwulf
05-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Doesn't matter who's in charge of the shipping date. Sega is the proprietor of the liscence. A2M is the developer. As someone who has worked in the development industry, I can tell you, the liscensors (SEGA) in this case, have the final say. If they don't like the product, they send it back and have the developer fix it. If A2M was rushed, they delivered a damn good product regardless. What a lot of you are complaining about are the graphics and gameplay for the PC vs the Consoles. Allow me to remind you that the commercials I've seen are not platform specific. So it doesn't matter what graphics are shown. The fact is that at the end it lists the platforms. Sega never said that the graphics shown were for the PC version or not.

I don't agree with what everyone is ranting about. I don't have a console and so I don't see the difference. To me, its a decent game, with a decent story that carries from the movie. Its interesting and if you have a console and PC and you bought both versions... fine complain. But really guys, whats all the hub-bub? You KNOW PC versions won't have the same graphics as a console. Why get all worked up over it?

vZv
05-15-2008, 08:40 AM
1. SEGA was "charge" in this situation... :x
2. The screens and trailers where specified as PC's so dont lie here pal... :evil:
3. Yes PC can't have graphics like console... it can have graphics MUCH BETTER then consoles, right now PC's are more powerfull then consoles, and with the same speed of making new video cards, processors soon there will be games ported not from consoles to PC but from PC to consoles !!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Kubwulf
05-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I specified that the commercials I'd seen weren't platform specific. I don't read the gamer magazines, I don't go to conventions, I rarely keep tabs on whats coming out anymore. What I'VE seen isn't platform specific.

PC vs Console graphics isn't something I'll go into here... Its a seperate debate.

Once again, what I"VE seen isn't platform specific so I don't see what everyone is complaining about. If you have links to the site you are saying shows where they use platform graphics and bill it as the PC version, link it.

vZv
05-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Here, there was fev more but I cant remember them -
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_14505.html
http://www.reelcomix.com/322-New-Iron-Man-PC-Game-Screenshots.html

Flymaster
05-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Here, there was fev more but I cant remember them -
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_14505.html
http://www.reelcomix.com/322-New-Iron-Man-PC-Game-Screenshots.html

Those coud very well be pc screen shots. I don't see any indication that they are not. THe big difference I can see from console to pc graphics are the bolders and some of the of the other objects. I agree with Kubwulf, the graphics aren't as bad as most of you are saying. If it's that big a deal to you, buy an Xbox.

Kubwulf
05-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Not only that but the article was posted on April 14th!! When did the game come out? It may only be 2 weeks time difference, but what says that those pics weren't changed or from an earlier version of the game? How often will a developer send out Beta screen shots in order to tease mass millions and then those scenes never make it into the game?

What about games like Final Fantasy X where every add showed the full 3d rendered movies and no actual gameplay? The game looked NOTHING like the advertising except in the movies that play between chapters.

You guys are making much ado about nothing. You want to be so outraged that you're grasping at any little thing to be mad at. Why?

CapedCrusader
05-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Look, everyone here seems to be hung up on the graphics.

The graphics are the least of the issues, although the "bad guy fall down go boom" visuals are pretty silly.

The *game* itself is completely different, gameplay-wise.

Some activities that are available in the PS3 version which are not available in the PC version:
PS3 allows you to catch missiles and throw them back. Not on the PC.
PS3 allows you to catch drones and rip them up. Not on PC.
PS3 allows you to tear vehicles in half. Not on the PC.
PS3 allows two flight speeds, normal and afterburner. Not on PC.

And that's just what I can think of right off-hand. The actual gameplay is different between the two versions. For instance, the bit with the stolen attack helicopter. On the PS3, this was a tough fight. On the PC, it was a joke.

They are two completely different games, but they all have the same box art. I haven't compared two different boxes in detail, but I imagine that there are different logos on the back of the box for the two different developers. I'll check, but this is hardly sufficient.

Now ask yourself, how often do you compare a PC game you are going to buy to the other platform versions of the same game to see if it's actually the same game? Be honest. The answer is most likely "Never".

If I had known before-hand, I never would have spent my money on it. Porting a PS2 game to PC when you have an XBox 360 version available is just plain horrible.

Sega should have made it clear from the outset that there were actually two different games being marketed. Anything else is being deceptive. As I said, it's classic bait & switch. Make the consumer believe they are getting one thing, but they are actually getting something else.

Being honest may have cost Sega some initial sales, but it would have been better in the long run. Breaking consumer trust is a dangerous thing to do, and they've just done it in spades.

Starship
05-25-2008, 08:21 PM
I just registered to voice my disappointment (to be polite) with the pc version of Iron Man...yup, I got suckered into buying it based on seeing the 360 version.
Does anybody know the address to e-mail Sega directly? Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see it on the the website. :cry: