Thread: Localization incompetence?

Default Localization incompetence?

I know we should be happy we are getting the games at all, but I'm worried that this series continues to be mismanaged by Sega of America/EU. What is taking so long? I mean there is no doubt that Persona 5 was hurt sales-wise because the localization took a year. I don't want the same thing to happen to Yakuza.

HOW is it possible that games get multiple subtitles in different languages without taking so much time?? A lot of Japanese games have multiple language settings not just English and it takes less time. How is it possible that since Yakuza 6 has been announced to be TRANSLATED Sega of Japan is releasing 3 games?? That makes no sense to me.

Now I'm not an expert but one thing for sure is WHATEVER THEY ARE DOING, ITS NOT AN EFFICIENT WAY OF TRANSLATING THE GAMES. Your thoughts?

At this point, I think it's more about spacing the releases than the localisation itself taking time. Between Y0, Kiwami and Y6, that's three games in the span of just over a year. That's already a lot of games in a relatively short time span, cramming in more would risk over-saturating the market and create series fatigue.

Not that I personally would mind, the more Yakuza the better.

There is still a risk that it will hurt the games on the long run, same as what happened in the past two generations. It's really the same mistake: games being released after the console's life cycle and being dated and overshadowed by the newer console and games.

Marketing efforts have improved, the older team seemed clueless about the product they're promoting (Yakuza 3 and 4). They are doing more things in terms of marketing but there's a serious lack of communication it seems. There's this fan art contest that I think with a good PR/Marketing team most websites would be talking about. There's a whole interactive comic book that nobody is talking about either.

The smarter move I think is just releasing titles as quickly as possible, and working in unison with Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios. Unless the Sega of America is going to give Kiryu the same fate the 32X had.

I remember the first Yakuza coming in english voices and spanish! subtitles to Spain. After that, every title was jp voices/eng subs. I understand english at a decent level but i hoped to see jp voices/esp subs. I suppose they don't see us as a big enough market to do the effort.

So it makes sense that it is incompetence. I mean comparing other games that are localized it just can't he anything else. It's the same team behind Persona 5.

Hate to say it because Scott Strichart and Sam Mullen and the others are so cool and charming, but their output is weak compared to other studios.

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    There is still a risk that it will hurt the games on the long run, same as what happened in the past two generations. It's really the same mistake: games being released after the console's life cycle and being dated and overshadowed by the newer console and games.
    In regards to Y1 and 2, those games released in Japan at the end, or after the newer consoles had been released. So can't really put the blame on the localisation team for that. As for the PS3 entries, only Y5 released after the new and more powerful consoles had been released. But from what I understand, Y5 took so long to be localised not because they were working on it for so long, but rather because they didn't. From what it seemed, Y5 was not green lit for localisation by SEGA until Sony stepped in.

So it makes sense that it is incompetence. I mean comparing other games that are localized it just can't he anything else. It's the same team behind Persona 5.

Hate to say it because Scott Strichart and Sam Mullen and the others are so cool and charming, but their output is weak compared to other studios.
    I would say it's more an issue of funding than incompetence. The games don't sell and are not expected to sell well in the West, so SEGA is likely not giving them much funding to dub the games or implement subs of various languages.

Should have worded it better I guess. A year definitely makes a difference is my point. Now more than ever because we're nearing the PS4's life cycle and we got three games with one year each for translation.

If theres a low budget i would assume that they should hurry it up cuz the longer they take the more money the project needs and add the time value of money and it might be a problem. HURRY UP I'M TIRED OF WAITING >_<

I think the process should at least be reviewed. Kiwami 2 could be out by the end of next Summer (I hope) Hokuto, I really would like to think by Christmas.

The guys over at Atlus are great, but any longer that 9-12 months max following its Japanese release is too long in my opinion.

At least they sent out the questionnaire the following day after the new titles were announced.
    Let's hope for something at PlayStation Experience again.

As for over saturating, that wouldn't be an issue if they looked into their localization processes, and got the games out within a more suitable time frame.
    If Ubisoft can get Assassin's Creed out - and dubbed in Japanese for a Worldwide release almost annually, then SEGA can close the current time gap at the very least.

Should have worded it better I guess. A year definitely makes a difference is my point. Now more than ever because we're nearing the PS4's life cycle and we got three games with one year each for translation.
    Kiwami was released seven months after Y0, and if Y6 releases when it's scheduled to then that's another seven months from the release date of Kiwami, that's closer to half a year than a year. It's quite a lot of games in a short time span to be honest.

If theres a low budget i would assume that they should hurry it up cuz the longer they take the more money the project needs and add the time value of money and it might be a problem. HURRY UP I'M TIRED OF WAITING >_<
    Low budget means the localisation team is small, and will require more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshiro80 View Post
    I think the process should at least be reviewed. Kiwami 2 could be out by the end of next Summer (I hope) Hokuto, I really would like to think by Christmas.

The guys over at Atlus are great, but any longer that 9-12 months max following its Japanese release is too long in my opinion.

At least they sent out the questionnaire the following day after the new titles were announced.
    Let's hope for something at PlayStation Experience again.

As for over saturating, that wouldn't be an issue if they looked into their localization processes, and got the games out within a more suitable time frame.
    If Ubisoft can get Assassin's Creed out - and dubbed in Japanese for a Worldwide release almost annually, then SEGA can close the current time gap at the very least.
    I think it's important to have in mind that the West is an afterthought when it comes to this series. They are made by SEGA's Japanese studios, for the Japanese market first and foremost. It's not really comparable to a series such as Assassins Creed which is made with a more worldwide market in mind.