Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Freedom Fighter are probably gone....

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi View Post
    1. Sonic may not be able to carry a whole comic as the main focus

2. Other characters bring life into the series, or it ends up looking like a very desolate world

3. Other characters also bring variety, as Sonic can't fit all niches
    1.- That's why we have Eggman for. : 3

2 & 3.- The games already have a plentyful cast of characters that already cover most (if not all) of the basic character archetypes that you can find in almost any work of fiction. I'd say that they are more than enough to make Sonic's new comic world feel alive, as well as allowing for these support characters to receive a decent amount of spotlight instead of watering it down with the constant introduction of new OC's like it happened in the past, especially when there were this many freedom fighter groups scattered around the world. Personally I hope the new comic has it's priorities straight and focus primarily on the Sonic vs Eggman feud, which is what gives rise to everything else, followed in second place by the focus on the game cast and finally whatever is left to the occassional OC's, which should only be used as support for the game characters instead of the mistake Archie used to make where it was the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If SMS is considered evil then I don't want to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by SMS Skull Leader View Post
    1.- That's why we have Eggman for. : 3

2 & 3.- The games already have a plentyful cast of characters that already cover most (if not all) of the basic character archetypes that you can find in almost any work of fiction. I'd say that they are more than enough to make Sonic's new comic world feel alive, as well as allowing for these support characters to receive a decent amount of spotlight instead of watering it down with the constant introduction of new OC's like it happened in the past, especially when there were this many freedom fighter groups scattered around the world. Personally I hope the new comic has it's priorities straight and focus primarily on the Sonic vs Eggman feud, which is what gives rise to everything else, followed in second place by the focus on the game cast and finally whatever is left to the occassional OC's, which should only be used as support for the game characters instead of the mistake Archie used to make where it was the other way around.
    Except that the games also mostly focus on Sonic and have Sonic's friends be background fodder. Plus people complain about that all the time, so I really don't think that having all development time focused on Sonic vs. Eggman like in the games would be good, as Sonic is a rather stale character as a late, plus Eggman is quite one-note after a while.

TBH, I think Sonic's friends carry the series because solo Sonic games as of late have been so boring story wise and only have somewhat decent gameplay to back it up. Imagine a whole comic where it's just pretty much just watching someone play a Sonic game straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1994 View Post
    God, even in positive air, you're all so depressing.
    Missed opportunities are the foundation of this franchise. The benefits of changes that add more IMO outweigh the reasons to not to.
    Every conversation is a battleground.

Except that the games also mostly focus on Sonic and have Sonic's friends be background fodder. Plus people complain about that all the time, so I really don't think that having all development time focused on Sonic vs. Eggman like in the games would be good, as Sonic is a rather stale character as a late, plus Eggman is quite one-note after a while.

TBH, I think Sonic's friends carry the series because solo Sonic games as of late have been so boring story wise and only have somewhat decent gameplay to back it up. Imagine a whole comic where it's just pretty much just watching someone play a Sonic game straight.
    That's because the games focus primarily on Sonic. You have to consider that these are action games and unless one wants a focused ganeplay experience, there is only so much that can be done in terms of storytelling... Reallistically you can't expect for them to add long cutscenes like in the Metal Gear titles. Then there's the issue of ST developers still struggling to find a way to add extra characters, but I think this is a completely different topic, along with how they pretty much use only Eggman and Tails.

In a comic book however, there is much more freedom than what the games offer as this is a story-driven media. One of the things I liked from the last issues of the old Archie is how they used more of the game characters, and in a way that made them justice. Amy was finally portrayed as a sweet and tough cookie who helped anyone who was in need, motivated by a selfless desire to help make things better, even going on adventures with Sonic instead of being sidelined/left behind. Knuckles was treated as an actual character who does his own thing and even showed some layers that humanize him such as when he started doubting his ability to protect the ME (which Amy helped dispelled by making him focus instead on the positive side of how he always brought it back to safety) instead of being a fanservice cameo from the games that can only exist if he's pegged to Sonic and Tails. The Chaotix were given much, much more spotlight than they ever received in the games, and so on. I think the new book can offer not only a chance to give the game cast the spotlight that they hardly receive nowadays, but also used them in a more balanced manner as opposed to the games which are pretty much monopolized by Tails, who is the only character ST seems to handle as "relevant", even if to do this they butcher his character.

Quote Originally Posted by SMS Skull Leader View Post
    That's because the games focus primarily on Sonic. You have to consider that these are action games and unless one wants a focused ganeplay experience, there is only so much that can be done in terms of storytelling... Reallistically you can't expect for them to add long cutscenes like in the Metal Gear titles. Then there's the issue of ST developers still struggling to find a way to add extra characters, but I think this is a completely different topic, along with how they pretty much use only Eggman and Tails.

In a comic book however, there is much more freedom than what the games offer as this is a story-driven media. One of the things I liked from the last issues of the old Archie is how they used more of the game characters, and in a way that made them justice. Amy was finally portrayed as a sweet and tough cookie who helped anyone who was in need, motivated by a selfless desire to help make things better, even going on adventures with Sonic instead of being sidelined/left behind. Knuckles was treated as an actual character who does his own thing and even showed some layers that humanize him such as when he started doubting his ability to protect the ME (which Amy helped dispelled by making him focus instead on the positive side of how he always brought it back to safety) instead of being a fanservice cameo from the games that can only exist if he's pegged to Sonic and Tails. The Chaotix were given much, much more spotlight than they ever received in the games, and so on. I think the new book can offer not only a chance to give the game cast the spotlight that they hardly receive nowadays, but also used them in a more balanced manner as opposed to the games which are pretty much monopolized by Tails, who is the only character ST seems to handle as "relevant", even if to do this they butcher his character.
    Except you make it seem like you only want Sonic's friends to be there as background characters or occasional support.

Plus the thing with OCs, is that it adds more species to the cast, as well as more characters who work with Eggman, instead of it just being him, Orbot, Cubot and nameless, personalityless robots.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1994 View Post
    God, even in positive air, you're all so depressing.
    Missed opportunities are the foundation of this franchise. The benefits of changes that add more IMO outweigh the reasons to not to.
    Every conversation is a battleground.

I value the idea of a Sonic comic mainly because it can explore aspects of certain characters who never get enough screentime in the games proper. That's why it's not a good idea to focus on OCs until the legacy characters have a fair shake at exposure.
    If you give a good idea to a mediocre team, they will screw it up. If you give a mediocre idea to a brilliant team, they will either fix it or throw it away and come up with something better...If you arenít experiencing failure, then you are making a far worse mistake: You are being driven by the desire to avoid it. -Ed Catmull,

Except you make it seem like you only want Sonic's friends to be there as background characters or occasional support.

Plus the thing with OCs, is that it adds more species to the cast, as well as more characters who work with Eggman, instead of it just being him, Orbot, Cubot and nameless, personalityless robots.
    You make it sound all we want is a small band....

"OCs" aren't necessarily if the Sonic world in the games is still jam-packed with characters galore, and at times ST insists on bringing in more from time to time... ("Avatar" from Sonic Forces for example, HYUK HYUK HYUK)

Not only do we have Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Eggman, Orbot, Cubot......

We also have Cream, Vanilla, Team Chaotix (Vector, Espio, Charmy), Babylon Rogues (Jet, Storm, Wave), Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Blaze, Marine, Silver, The Deadly Six (if we must.... :P), Big (again...), Metal Sonic, Sticks....

And if we want to REALLY reach far back..... Mighty, Ray, Tiara, Honey, Nack, Bean, Bark.....

Take your pick!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DuEmpMwLL4S_r5
    Click above to see Minkgirl's Top 100 Sonic Moments!!!

I think people are more concerned that their character will be cut completely. I'm in that camp, for sure.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktopus View Post
    I think people are more concerned that their character will be cut completely. I'm in that camp, for sure.
    I think you need to make your peace with the idea that the Freedom Fighters are doneski.
    If you give a good idea to a mediocre team, they will screw it up. If you give a mediocre idea to a brilliant team, they will either fix it or throw it away and come up with something better...If you arenít experiencing failure, then you are making a far worse mistake: You are being driven by the desire to avoid it. -Ed Catmull,

Quote Originally Posted by Toni the Mink View Post
    You make it sound all we want is a small band....

"OCs" aren't necessarily if the Sonic world in the games is still jam-packed with characters galore, and at times ST insists on bringing in more from time to time... ("Avatar" from Sonic Forces for example, HYUK HYUK HYUK)

Not only do we have Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Eggman, Orbot, Cubot......

We also have Cream, Vanilla, Team Chaotix (Vector, Espio, Charmy), Babylon Rogues (Jet, Storm, Wave), Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Blaze, Marine, Silver, The Deadly Six (if we must.... :P), Big (again...), Metal Sonic, Sticks....

And if we want to REALLY reach far back..... Mighty, Ray, Tiara, Honey, Nack, Bean, Bark.....

Take your pick!
    Yup. Currently the Sonic game franchise has plenty of characters at it's disposal as well as locations and settings, unlike it's early years. Would be a really shame to have them not receive the spotlight that could be achieved in a book that focuses on the game cast because of bringing back a group of non-game characters that already had their time. Being very honest, I think that they're not just no longer needed but also wouldn't do any good because there simply is no rele for them that is not already covered by the game cast... Plus it wouldn't made sense either when the intention of the new comic is to make a fresh start.

Senior Member HarfSkyWolfDragonHog's Avatar

hey but we got forcedes and now thers new feedom fighters. like harf, and his companeros. (thats spanish, but harf isnt)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123