Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scored a copy of South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Default Scored a copy of South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Though I don't expect the answer to be a yes by many in this forum, lol, anyone else playing this?

Have been waiting for it for a dannnng long time. So far this game's crazy-funny; loaded with references to the show and nonstop hilarious and self-aware writing, it's almost impossible not to feel as if I'm living in the world of the show. Just like the 1st game, the characters don't "Break character" so the entire game takes place within the context of its own story, this time involving superheroes.

Combat system is actually more along the lines of an SRPG, which I'm not yet sold on compared to the more basic turn-based model of the previous game, but I'll give it a chance.

Regardless, I totally recommend this game to fans of the show; comes with a download code for a free copy of the first game too.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 10-28-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

It's on the docket for games I play at my brother's as he does have it, but I'm still in the middle of one or two games I'm playing on his PS4. Given I'm not able to spend too large an amount of time at his house, I don't want to cycle between too many at once or it'll be an eternity before I finish any of said playthroughs.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, SL. I did hear it's a great RPG and well representative of the license it's based on.

Yeah this game's great so far.

The SRPG combat system is starting to grow on me; it's still never my preferred RPG battle system, but this is actually pretty fun. It seems less based on frequent battles than I remember the previous game being and more about fewer, longer ones, which, giving it some thought, might be a change for the better. That said it's been a while since I've played the 1st game so who knows, my memory of it might just be fuzzy.

Otherwise, this is a fully-fledged world to explore loaded with sidequests and of course incredible dialogue. The game also, South Park aside, manages to somehow capture the sort of innocence of childhood lol. This is a great super hero game through the eyes of kids that's M-rated of course as hell. It's brilliant in its own way, as is almost everything from Trey Parker and Matt Stone.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 10-29-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    Though I don't expect the answer to be a yes by many in this forum, lol, anyone else playing this?

Have been waiting for it for a dannnng long time. So far this game's crazy-funny; loaded with references to the show and nonstop hilarious and self-aware writing, it's almost impossible not to feel as if I'm living in the world of the show. Just like the 1st game, the characters don't "Break character" so the entire game takes place within the context of its own story, this time involving superheroes.

Combat system is actually more along the lines of an SRPG, which I'm not yet sold on compared to the more basic turn-based model of the previous game, but I'll give it a chance.

Regardless, I totally recommend this game to fans of the show; comes with a download code for a free copy of the first game too.
    Finished the game on XB1, And I Have to say this game is so much fun, Im Not the Biggest South Park fan but some parts had me crying with laughter, The dialogue during battles are so well done, Some of the side quests and late game story missions have some cheeky references which I wont spoil but are super funny. The combat is simple but super fun. Had a blast playing this. Honestly even if you arent a South Park fan but love games, Give this a go it may pleasantly surprise you

Proud member of The Tails Fan Club
    RubyEclipse = SEGA LEGEND

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Emeralds View Post
    Finished the game on XB1, And I Have to say this game is so much fun, Im Not the Biggest South Park fan but some parts had me crying with laughter, The dialogue during battles are so well done, Some of the side quests and late game story missions have some cheeky references which I wont spoil but are super funny. The combat is simple but super fun. Had a blast playing this. Honestly even if you arent a South Park fan but love games, Give this a go it may pleasantly surprise you
    That's actually pretty cool, I was wondering whether it would be possible for non-fans to enjoy the game as well, though I've been watching SP since I was a kid haha.

I think this game's gameplay stands on its own much more than the previous one's. And since this is basically its own super hero story (the kids are playing super heroes and remain in character throughout) this is actually its own standalone adventure, like the 1st one was, though I think this one has far superior gameplay.

It still puzzles me that the 1st South Park game still has such a higher Metascore than Fractured But Whole; it still scored solidly, but to me the sequel is (so far) unquestionably the better game. I dunno the RPG aspects to me have improved too; it's amazing to see how well the town of SP has been transformed into this RPG world that actually feels far more immersive than anything in something like Horizon Zero Dawn lol. The ability to enter every building, along with the amount of people to interact with and the ambient sound effects really creates an immersive setting.

The music thoroughout is also excellent, though I guess that went without saying given the source material.

On another note, I'm surprisingly enjoying the SRPG mechanics. In fact I may be developing a newfound appreciation for them.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 10-30-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Senior Member UnknownDarkness??'s Avatar

think of this the stick of truth is Paper Mario 64 and The Fractured But Whole is the Thousand Year Door of South Park.
    YouTube Channel is U.D Playthroughs.
    I update gameplay content regularly so check it out.
    Currently recording Ape Escape 3 & Donkey Kong 64 on the channel.

Yeah just checked it out on psn and the fact that it comes with the first game is pretty awesome, think I might buy as well.

Didn't want to jump into it because I didn't play the first, but that's pretty cool that they're doing the Bayo 2 thing here.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "I like Waiters, they bring a lot to the table."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmageZero View Post
    Yeah just checked it out on psn and the fact that it comes with the first game is pretty awesome, think I might buy as well.

Didn't want to jump into it because I didn't play the first, but that's pretty cool that they're doing the Bayo 2 thing here.
    Yeah they're both standalone so there isn't really much of a need to play the 1st. 1st is a medieval open world turn-based RPG while the sequel's an open world SRPG with a super hero world/storyline.

Both games are a lot of fun, though playing one isn't necessary to play the other. I'd recommend just jumping into the 2nd one to be honest, though yeah, the 1st available as a free download is definitely a nice addition.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 11-01-2017 at 11:35 PM.

I love the game. I don't think it's quite as funny as Stick of Truth (still hilarious though), but as a game it's definitely better.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: GOOCH3R
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2375-2456-6218

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownDarkness?? View Post
    think of this the stick of truth is Paper Mario 64 and The Fractured But Whole is the Thousand Year Door of South Park.
    I love this comparison. XD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast