Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Rayman Legends vs. Sonic Forces

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    similar to how Forces' ratings got hurt by being released within months of Mania too.
    Hmm, not really sure what difference that would have made, though. I guess the 2D sections would have had a little added novelty since they'd be the first this gen, but they occupied such a small part of the game that I can't imagine the novelty of them truly changing someone's opinion on the game.

It is true though that developers often have to bring their A-game to stand out on a platform; there's lots of competition out there, and people only have so much money to spend.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 11-14-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Now Playing: South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Persona 5 (PS4)
    Recently Completed: Sonic Forces (PS4), Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4), Sonic Mania (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Super Lucky's Tale reminds me a lot of the co-op platform games that came out a few years ago, like Sm3d World and R&C All 4 one, except you know...there's no co-op, mario power ups, or ratchet weapons so...I can see how it can be viewed as "meh" at best, still, it's not like bright and colorful platformers come out everyday these days (even though in the time span of a couple of days we got 3 of them, but that's not the point. lol)
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "Why was Tom Thumb fired as an accountant? he always came up short."

I'll probably get Super Lucky Tale whenever I get a XBOX. Not like there's that many exclusives on that platform to begin with. Looks cute and I'll probably enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    Hmm, not really sure what difference that would have made, though. I guess the 2D sections would have had a little added novelty since they'd be the first this gen, but they occupied such a small part of the game that I can't imagine the novelty of them truly changing someone's opinion on the game.

It is true though that developers often have to bring their A-game to stand out on a platform; there's lots of competition out there, and people only have so much money to spend.
    The difference is that we wouldn't have a good Sonic game, in recent time, as a point of comparison. The flaws of SF and the success of Mania is not limited to 2D, things such as controls and physics, good and interesting level design transcends dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    The difference is that we wouldn't have a good Sonic game, in recent time, as a point of comparison. The flaws of SF and the success of Mania is not limited to 2D, things such as controls and physics, good and interesting level design transcends dimensions.
    So the argument is that if Sonic Mania didn't exist, people would have just forgotten what a good Sonic game is supposed to control like/be designed like, and would have given Forces critical acclaim just by default? lol Sonic Generations wasn't that long ago.

Plus, not having a good Sonic game immediately predate them didn't suddenly make everyone love Sonic Boom or Sonic 06.

Anyway Sonic Forces isn't even getting trashed the way those games were. It's scoring similarly to Sonic Lost World. Which wasn't immediately preceded by a good Sonic game either. If there was some sort of conspiracy to trash Forces, I think it would be scoring lower than it is.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 11-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Recently Completed: Sonic Forces (PS4), Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4), Sonic Mania (PS4)

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    Without even playing it, I'm going to guess that Super Lucky's Tale is getting scathingly bad reviews for not being Mario Odyssey, similar to how Forces' ratings got hurt by being released within months of Mania too.
    Funny you say that because about 90% of the reviews out there have made that comparison yes. Not sure how anyone can compare what is obviously a budget title for $30, to a Mario game? Lol, reviewers.

Either way, will probably start it this weekend, looks fun and i honestly couldn't pass it up for $30. That's also one reason i bought Forces, $40 wasn't bad.
    <a href=http://segabits.com/forums/ target=_blank>http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Dynamite.png</a>
    Gamertag: Pirovash88

So the argument is that if Sonic Mania didn't exist, people would have just forgotten what a good Sonic game is supposed to control like/be designed like, and would have given Forces critical acclaim just by default? lol Sonic Generations wasn't that long ago.
    Not by default, but as you said, Generations would serve as the baseline rather than Mania, a significantly lower standard to set. And compared to Mania, SF is pretty bad, whereas compared to Generations, it's pretty good, not to mention Lost world or Boom.

Anyway Sonic Forces isn't even getting trashed the way those games were. It's scoring similarly to Sonic Lost World. Which wasn't immediately preceded by a good Sonic game either. If there was some sort of conspiracy to trash Forces, I think it would be scoring lower than it is.
    No conspiracy, just higher standards thanks to Mania.

And compared to Mania, SF is pretty bad, whereas compared to Generations, it's pretty good, not to mention Lost world or Boom
    But Generations was also well-received.

No conspiracy, just higher standards thanks to Mania.
    I somewhat disagree; my opinion of Forces wouldn't have been different had I not played Mania; I tend to prefer 3D Sonic games anyway.

But Generations was also well-received.
    Compared to SF, yes. The point is that, if Mania would've been released just before Generations, Generations would not fair as well as it did.

I somewhat disagree; my opinion of Forces wouldn't have been any different had I not played Mania; I tend to prefer 3D Sonic games anyway.
    The thing is, most people prefer good games, regardless of whether they are 2D or 3D. Generations is the best 3D Sonic, and even then it's not particularly good, while the rest range between awful to mediocre.

I lean more towards SL's point here. Forces is not somehow worse just becuz Mania released recently. Forces has several major problems that would be blatant even if Mania didn't exist. Mania didn't make Forces have ridiculously short and easy levels. Mania didn't make Forces have a completely god awful nonsense story. These would still be very real, very tangible, and very obvious problems even if Mania had never released.
    I play a lot of League of Legends. I currently have Mastery 7 on thirteen champions: Vi (jungle), Tristana (ADC), Lulu (support), Nautilus (support), Sona (support), Bard (support), Rumble (jungle), Poppy (support), Zyra (support), Nami (support), Soraka (support), Miss Fortune (ADC), Leona (support)

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast