View Poll Results: Do you agree with the critics that Sonic Forces is better than Zelda BOTW?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Only my opinion matters.

8 57.14%
  • Yes. Critics are well-respected professionals for a reason.

6 42.86%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic Forces Is Better than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Default Sonic Forces Is Better than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

One of the most well-respected gaming critics, Jim Sterling, has said what we've all been thinking: Sonic Forces is better than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In his latest Jimpressions, Sterling spells it out: Sonic Forces is no Sonic Mania, but it is a more enjoyable game than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. He may deny saying outright that Sonic Forces is better than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but that's to avoid triggering all the Zelda fans who'd flip out like B.o.B. learning that the world isn't flat. Likewise, to avoid triggering Nintendo fans who can't handle a bit of naughty language, I will not be posting a link to the video as I am sure he says a naughty word at least once. He's British, after all.

2017 has been quite a ride. Who would've thunk that such a half-hearted effort by Sonic Team could outdo what is arguably Nintendo's magnum opus? Imagine if, rather than using only their half-butt, Sonic Team used their whole butt in developing a game? I imagine Miyamoto would react just like this:

#1 Final Fantasy character | #1 Nintendo fan | #1 music artist
    "I'm the coolest." óMe
    Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1691-6470-6620

Saying Forces is better than botw, may be one of the few examples where you can have a wrong opinion. lol. Like, you could think that way, but sorry, you're just WRONG. Botw is probably one of the best open world games ever made, Sonic forces is an above average to good 3d sonic game, but a mediocre to bad game in every other sense.

That being said...

I can see the argument of what may or may not be a more "fun" experience. Botw is a game where exploration and puzzle solving, in a highly atmospheric setting is the games true genius, so for those who prefer more spectacle and flash, forces actually is much better in that regard, and I can see where some might consider botw boring if you're not into explorations games, and sonic forces is fun, FLAWED, but fun for those who like more fast paced action.

Then again, Jim Sterling reminds me a lot of the fine Men and Women who clean out septic tanks, I mean the absolute **** that he has seen, and experienced on a daily basis with the steam indie games he plays, he can enjoy and praise a game like sonic forces because it's a PROVEN FACT, THAT WORSE GAMES EXIST, but, idk, I got to see the article or video on this to get the full context first. So if somebody can supply a link for me?
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "Why was Tom Thumb fired as an accountant? he always came up short."

All I can say is that while Forces isn't the best modern Sonic game (that award still goes to Unleashed), I have enjoyed nearly all of my time with it, whereas BotW got boring and tedious really fast.

Also, who would prefer BotW's 30fps to Forces' 60fps? What a slideshow!
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

That's not saying much. The more important question is how it compares to Mania, and in Sterlings words: "it's [Sonic Forces] no Sonic Mania".

Is he meant to be taken seriously? I don't follow pro reviews as much nowadays but the title of his review sounds clickbait and unprofessional.
    It's fine if he doesn't like BotW and likes Forces more. He would be minority but it's nice to be minority sometimes too.

Sonic Forces is in no way better than botw however, I surely enjoy playing it. I find botw to be the absolute worst zelda game in terms of fun. I do not enjoy it at all and its simply just ElderScrolls ZELDA edition. Not what I wanted out of zelda at all.

On the flip side of things forces takes tons of misteps too. The creat-a-character stages and gameplay simply arent enjoyable to me compared to the sonic stuff and the stages are far to short. I don't want no sonic mania end stages were you're almost running out of time but a nice 6 to 7 minutes would be ideal.
    That level of accomplishment when you've finally made it to someones ignore list! Priceless total victory!

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    Also, who would prefer BotW's 30fps to Forces' 60fps? What a slideshow!
    I own the wii U version, 30fps is only when you're standing still (very cinematic). lol

Still an absolutely beautiful game though imo, and surprising considering how limited the wii U is.

But if there is a case to get a non-switch version of the game is for the Metropolis Zone alone, easily the most beautiful stage I've ever seen in a 3d sonic game, the amount of detail and flying through with 60fps is pretty dang sweet.

Taking one of my favorite levels from Sonic heroes to gen 8, and bah gawd, was it glorious, and easily one of my favorite missions and levels in Forces. (Which you can play as Shadow in as well)
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "Why was Tom Thumb fired as an accountant? he always came up short."

Quote Originally Posted by Clesarie View Post
    Sonic Forces is in no way better than botw however, I surely enjoy playing it. I find botw to be the absolute worst zelda game in terms of fun. I do not enjoy it at all and its simply just ElderScrolls ZELDA edition. Not what I wanted out of zelda at all.

On the flip side of things forces takes tons of misteps too. The creat-a-character stages and gameplay simply arent enjoyable to me compared to the sonic stuff and the stages are far to short. I don't want no sonic mania end stages were you're almost running out of time but a nice 6 to 7 minutes would be ideal.
    This is the Nintendo forum. All that matters is fun. It seems that more than a few people actually find Sonic Forces more fun than BotW, which is why Sonic Forces can be considered better than (or at least on par with) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
    #1 Final Fantasy character | #1 Nintendo fan | #1 music artist
    "I'm the coolest." óMe
    Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1691-6470-6620

The comparison is ridiculous, I sometimes find Jim Sterling's writing to be interesting but he's totally trolling with this, I feel like lol, if he's really saying this.

Now Playing: South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Persona 5 (PS4)
    Recently Completed: Sonic Forces (PS4), Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4), Sonic Mania (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Honestly, Sterling's not a professional critic. And if he were, this would be credibility-destroying. Objective consensus of both games has spoken, and a professional is supposed to be impartial whereas his thoughts very often come out biased and hard.

Sonic Forces is not even close to being the huge step for its series that both Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey were for their own. It's a pretty fun game, but by both fun factor and objective game design, Forces doesn't really live up to its own predecessors, much less to stellar games from series with a much more refined track record.

And mind you, I'm a fan of both series to a very high extent. I really did want Forces to be that next big step for Sonic the Hedgehog. It's not.

I will say this for it, though. It has quite a few great moments and elements about it. There were a few times where I felt it could reach Colors in terms of a good Modern Sonic title, but it hasn't quite even done that for me...yet. I get into quite a few of the levels, which makes it a shame that so many of them are so short.

I'm about halfway through the game, so I'm not giving it a final verdict yet. I'll tell you this, though. Even without DLC, this game will not have the longevity of the game it's being compared to (which doesn't work because they're different genres). Not even close. And it has nothing to do with the MC scores.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast