View Poll Results: Do you agree with the critics that Sonic Forces is better than Zelda BOTW?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Only my opinion matters.

8 57.14%
  • Yes. Critics are well-respected professionals for a reason.

6 42.86%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Forces Is Better than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    Play the game and you'll see.

You're wrong about homing attacking in the Adventure series but let's set that aside. The homing attack does the same thing whether enemies are present or not in those games.
    I suggest you play the game and see for yourself. Because the wrong here is you. The homing attack can only be performed when there are enemies or objects in range, otherwise it will do a jump dash, which is the same in Generations and Unleashed.

The problem with Forces is that the reticle does not appear until the game thinks it should appear, even if you're clearly within range of the enemy, thus making it unreliable. Generally it works but when it doesn't work it's incredibly frustrating.
    You do realise that the reticule appears when you are in range of the enemy, right. It's a visual indicator of whether you can perform the homing attack or not. Removing it, would not change the range of the homing attack, you'd still fail to do it in the same scenarios as you are failing now, just without the visual cue.

So again, how exactly would the lack of a reticule solve your issue here? Because the problem you are describing is with the range of the homing attack, not the presence of a reticule.

Meanwhile, back on the ranch...

I got to agree with SL on that the comparisons to both games makes no sense. You want to compare botw to say the likes of other zelda games, or horizon zero dawn or skyrim, fine.

You want to compare forces to other sonic games, or say Super Mario odessey or Ratchet and Clank, again, fine.

But comparing the two to say which is "better" is like comparing puyo puyo tetris with the likes of Call of duty WW2, Yeah, you could enjoy one more than the other, but I enjoy playing guitar more than changing the oil in my car.

Though something I probably should've done from the start, I seen the video and whatnot, so I get what Jim is saying and I do agree to an extent, yes I shouldn't hate the game (I don't) and it's not as bad as most say it is (it isn't).

that's sort of why I giving sonic forces a pass probably more so than it really deserves, though I have previously preference my statements that I'm grading the game on the 'sonic curve' in that, in terms of 3d sonic games...eh...it's pretty good.

Yeah, there were no real moments that annoyed me in the game, with the exception of the Zavok fight like SL mentioned, and that's because I too made the mistake of wanting to jump before the game wanted me to. (though excuse me, only pretty much every other 3d platformer I ever played in my life, when a boss jumps and hits the ground, it usually causes a shock wave that stuns so, so I don't know where the hell I got the idea to do that here, but what ev's) And it didn't have things that usually ruin what would otherwise be great sonic games in the past.

I didn't have to go outside an amusement park and pull out a fishing rod to get my pet frog out of the swimming pool. I didn't have to search for jewels in outerspace with bad reverse gravity gimmicks, I didn't have to play a poor mans version of starfox/panzar dragoon, play a god of war wannabe with the same annoying fight music playing again and again, it didn't have an overally drawn out final stage and boss battle, I wasn't running in or on top of tubes the whole game, and I wasn't playing a lego game that looked like Jak and daxter for the ps2 in terms of graphics, doing nothing in boring empty hubworlds...

I actually played a high speed platforming game that was fun from beginning to end. Which despite how heavily flawed this game is brings it to my top 5 best 3d sonic games rankings, because the sum of my experience was better than say the likes of sa2 or unleashed which had great hedgehog levels and were a ton of fun to replay post game, but were both marred with 60% or more of crap.

As for the botw rain thing, idk. Yeah it's annoying, but here's the thing, it also works in your advantage, as it makes it easier to sneak around enemies since it's harder for them to hear you going around, and if there is thunder in the forecast, it works against those using metal weapons as it will damage them, disarm them, and temporarily stun them. You can also just look for shelter and stare at a campfire or make one yourself since the game throws flints and wood at you everywhere around the world, rest at an inn/your house/your town or just teleport to another part of the world because you see, rain doesn't fall everywhere at the same time, just like, you know, real weather.

But hey, what do I know, I only pumped over 100 hours into the game and completed it both in normal and master modes, what do I know?
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "Why was Tom Thumb fired as an accountant? he always came up short."

> Sonic 1, 2 and 3 are better than Sonic Mania (as anyone who played them in the 90s would know).

> Breath of the Wild and Sonic Forces are different games. One was meant to be an open-world kind of game, where the player decides how long it will take to finish the game. The other has a linear progression, being divided by stages and having a time limit to complete each one.

It's like comparing a pineapple to a Mercedez benz.

That's right.
    There's nothing to compare.
    Ore wa Sonikku za hejjihoggu!

Well what if you like the way a Mercedes Benz tastes better?
    you're going into orbit, you stupid mutt

Anime was a mistake btw.

I suggest you play the game and see for yourself. Because the wrong here is you. The homing attack can only be performed when there are enemies or objects in range, otherwise it will do a jump dash, which is the same in Generations and Unleashed.
    haha dude what are you talking about? Here, he does a homing attack with no enemies present right here, it's at 2:17. You did not need an enemy to be within range for the game to allow you to perform the homing attack move in SA's 1 and 2. That's a more recent limitation.

You do realise that the reticule appears when you are in range of the enemy, right. It's a visual indicator of whether you can perform the homing attack or not. Removing it, would not change the range of the homing attack, you'd still fail to do it in the same scenarios as you are failing now, just without the visual cue.
    Yes correct but as you can see in the above video, in the past you didn't need the game's permission to perform a homing attack, you could do one whenever you wanted.

Because the problem you are describing is with the range of the homing attack, not the presence of a reticule.
    It really isn't though.

That said, I do feel that the range of the homing attack in Forces could certainly be better, so thank you for mentioning it.

Yeah, there were no real moments that annoyed me in the game, with the exception of the Zavok fight like SL mentioned, and that's because I too made the mistake of wanting to jump before the game wanted me to. (though excuse me, only pretty much every other 3d platformer I ever played in my life, when a boss jumps and hits the ground, it usually causes a shock wave that stuns so, so I don't know where the hell I got the idea to do that here, but what ev's) And it didn't have things that usually ruin what would otherwise be great sonic games in the past.
    Hahaha! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

In any other Sonic game you would have been able to jump and homing attack him; hell SA1's first Eggman boss was pretty much exactly that.

> Sonic 1, 2 and 3 are better than Sonic Mania (as anyone who played them in the 90s would know).
    Sonic 1 is not in any way, shape, or form better than Sonic Mania. And yeah I played them in the 90s.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 11-15-2017 at 01:16 AM.

Now Playing: South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Persona 5 (PS4)
    Recently Completed: Sonic Forces (PS4), Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4), Sonic Mania (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Quote Originally Posted by SonicNostalgia View Post
    What makes those games better than Mania? And why does it matter when you played them?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    haha dude what are you talking about? Here, he does a homing attack with no enemies present right here, it's at 2:17. You did not need an enemy to be within range for the game to allow you to perform the homing attack move in SA's 1 and 2. That's a more recent limitation.

[video=youtube;qnNTj0zwMFU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNTj0zwMFU/video]
    Did you watch the video even? At that time, he does a jump dash, not a homing attack. Something you could do in Unleashed and Generations as well.

Yes correct but as you can see in the above video, in the past you didn't need the game's permission to perform a homing attack, you could do one whenever you wanted.
    Except that, he does not do a homing attack in that point in the video, it's a jump dash.

It really isn't though.
    Explain.

Jump Dash is literally a homing attack that isn’t targeting anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertette View Post
    Slow down there Charles Dickens, no one signed up for this forum to read a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
    Jump Dash is literally a homing attack that isn’t targeting anything.
    Except that it doesn't home in on anything, and doesn't have offensive properties, effectively losing the two elements that make the homing attack a homing attack.

Doesn’t matter if it doesn’t “home” into anything, that is what it is. You’re pretty much arguing semantics to no real end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertette View Post
    Slow down there Charles Dickens, no one signed up for this forum to read a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
    Doesn’t matter if it doesn’t “home” into anything, that is what it is. You’re pretty much arguing semantics to no real end.
    Sure, it is what it is, which is not a homing attack. It also doesn't have the offensive properties of HA. Apart from being executed in the same way (jump button in midair), they have nothing in common. So it's not so much about arguing semantics, as it is simply recognising and distinguishing different moves and mechanics.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast