View Poll Results: Do you agree with the critics that Sonic Forces is better than Zelda BOTW?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Only my opinion matters.

9 60.00%
  • Yes. Critics are well-respected professionals for a reason.

6 40.00%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic Forces Is Better than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    I think we can pretty much rest assured that the Sega.com forum is pretty much the only place on the planet where the comparison would be taken even remotely seriously lol.
    Or we take seriously in how we don't take it seriously. That's seriously a thing.
    If you give a good idea to a mediocre team, they will screw it up. If you give a mediocre idea to a brilliant team, they will either fix it or throw it away and come up with something better...If you arenít experiencing failure, then you are making a far worse mistake: You are being driven by the desire to avoid it. -Ed Catmull,

Or we take seriously in how we don't take it seriously. That's seriously a thing.
    I seriously get what you mean. But.

There are definitely people in this topic who take it seriously and agree with Jim Sterling which is insane lol.

Now Playing: South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Persona 5 (PS4)
    Recently Completed: Sonic Forces (PS4), Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4), Sonic Mania (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

There are definitely people in this topic who take it seriously and agree with Jim Sterling which is insane lol.
    I think you're missing Jimmy's point here.

He spells out what he means quite well: One game thoroughly annoyed him with its questionable design choices way more than the other, and Sonic Forces was not that game.

It's not a matter of "Sonic Forces is overall better than BotW", but rather that one game did prioritize the gameplay people bought the game for over, say, having to stand around in the rain because you can't climb to where you need to go.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post

He spells out what he means quite well: One game thoroughly annoyed him with its questionable design choices way more than the other, and Sonic Forces was not that game.

It's not a matter of "Sonic Forces is overall better than BotW", but rather that one game did prioritize the gameplay people bought the game for over, say, having to stand around in the rain because you can't climb to where you need to go.
    I still don't understand the point of him even making the argument to begin with.

For one thing, he criticizes one game's questionable design choices over the other.....that's a complete opinion. I mean, to me, making a TARGET icon appear being necessary to homing attack onto an enemy was a questionable design choice. There were many in Forces. The fact that there were only 2 boss templates that were recycled for almost every single boss in Forces was a questionable design choice. He didn't like the weapon system in Breath of the Wild, he's made that clear many times. It's his opinion. He thinks it majorly hurt the game. I didn't have that reaction to it.

To say that one game prioritized gameplay over the other is insanity. Breath of the Wild was (in my opinion) an incredible game with incredibly well thought out and well designed gameplay. The other had only apparently 2-3 level designers who couldn't be bothered to design levels that lasted longer than 2 minutes and automated half of that.

I don't see how he could argue that Sonic Forces prioritized gameplay when the gameplay was so half-***ed and underwhelming. There was no effort that went into the gameplay whatsoever, you can play any other 3D Sonic game and see how much better their level design is than Forces.

But that said, that's my opinion; I wouldn't put out a piece on why Breath of the Wild is better than Sonic Forces because the 2 games have nothing to do with each other lol. The 2 games are completely uncomparable; setting aside the obvious (to most people) gap in quality, one is a high speed platformer and one is an action/adventure game with RPG elements. There is no comparrison. A video about how Sonic Forces compares to Wolfenstein 2 would make just as much sense.

If he had recorded this as a video about Sonic Forces vs Mario Odyssey....it'd still be as bat**** crazy (in my opinion) but at least it would be a comparison that makes sense on any level other than the current "I want to troll Nintendo fans who were annoyed at my review" level. Which is quite plainly all that he's doing.

Which is fine, lol, it's his right to do that. I just wonder if 5 years from now he'll look back at his odd championing of Forces (a game that most Sonic fans seem to dislike, by the way) and regret it. It's sorta a weird game to defend.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 11-11-2017 at 03:33 AM.

Recently Completed: Sonic Forces (PS4), Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4), Sonic Mania (PS4)

I still don't understand the point of him even making the argument to begin with.

For one thing, he criticizes one game's questionable design choices over the other.....that's a complete opinion. I mean, to me, making a TARGET icon appear being necessary to homing attack onto an enemy was a questionable design choice.
    That's actually been there since sonic Unleashed btw, not something added to forces.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "Why was Tom Thumb fired as an accountant? he always came up short."

No offense, but what kind of idiot would want to play Zelda BOTW if the rain wasn't a constantly unpredictable hindrance on potentially enjoyable yet tedious gameplay? I mean, come on now, do you really think gamers want their valuable time to be respected at the expense of realistic climbing physics? I demand climbing simulator-level stuff here, after all this is 2017, and Nintendo needs to show the world that climbing is not always fun. In fact, fairly often it's extremely frustrating, but that's exactly the point! It's like a game inside a game where every time you climb you roll the dice to see if you've won or lost, rained or shined!

10/10 folks! I'd give it an 11 if I could.

That's actually been there since sonic Unleashed btw, not something added to forces.
    It wasn't my favorite choice back then either, but in Forces it proves to be more of an issue due to the game's more scripted nature. (example; first boss. Game doesn't let you jump and homing attack it, the circle won't appear. Only appears if you're standing on the ground and he boosts you up when he lands.) I thought the game had glitched or something.

The argument about the rain is the same argument we hear about many games that offer immersion at the occasional expense of doing everything you want to do every second of the time. Is waiting 1-2 minutes once in a while enough to ruin a game for People? Apparently it is, though in BOTW's case it thankfully only ruined it for a very certain group..
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 11-11-2017 at 01:21 PM.

I think he's doing so because he might be getting ready to give Forces a similar / the same review score that he did BotW, and thus he's explaining his position before the inevitable backlash.

That's what I'm guessing, anyway.

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

I think he's doing so because he might be getting ready to give Forces a similar / the same review score that he did BotW, and thus he's explaining his position before the inevitable backlash.

That's what I'm guessing, anyway.
    Jim doesn't do reviews anymore. He's had a few fiascos lately bringing him to this decision; Zelda fanboys harassing him over the 7/10, Hellblade fanboys harassing him over giving it 1/10 for a savefile-breaking glitch, and Mario fanboys harassing over a false rumor that he gave Odyssey a 7/10 as well (due to an photoshopped screencap).

But yeah this is just him saying he enjoyed Forces over BotW. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave Forces a 7.5 if he still did reviews.
    3DS FC: 5086-2063-4318. Add me!
    (And if you do, PM me with yours...)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfI View Post
    Jim doesn't do reviews anymore. He's had a few fiascos lately bringing him to this decision; Zelda fanboys harassing him over the 7/10, Hellblade fanboys harassing him over giving it 1/10 for a savefile-breaking glitch, and Mario fanboys harassing over a false rumor that he gave Odyssey a 7/10 as well (due to an photoshopped screencap).
    Ahhhh, Nintendo fanboys. Aren't they delightful?

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast