Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Is there chance that characters in games will be great again?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleia View Post
    fan-submitted ideas are a minefield for legal issues -- which is why people like Ian had policies against people posting fan-submitted suggestions on his forum. Approaching fans for any ideas would legally implicate them as having read the forum

Most of you are just posting ideas. I did too. But most don't know things like cinematography, how to direct, storyboard, how to work deadlines, through mandates and a host of other things they'll expect from you, and have no formal education or work experience in how the industry works. Its easy to for people to say they'd work at SEGA and even give them ideas for free because they love Sonic, but by the time people are old enough to get those credentials they have to support themselves and potentially a family
    I am not saying that Sonic Team should use fan ideas or that they should hire someone from fanodm (despite I would like to work for them). All that I was trying to say - ST writing quality is even lower than fans. I don't know if the problem is with writers themselves or with working conditions at SEGA, but the result is poor by any standart. And if something is not done to the writing stuff, we won't get good story in Sonic games anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleia View Post
    I don't think that was completely the writer's fault to be perfectly honest. Again, this goes back to them having to work with certain mandates depending on the game. SEGA clearly wanted to pander to the nostalgia of the masses with games like Forces and Mania, and likely forced the writers to add Classic Sonic despite them having no clue what to do with him. They saw how well Generations was recieved and were trying to milk it.
    If you right about it, than it is still a problem. If Sonic Team is forced to make somthing into the game that doesn't have place there and undermines the game itself it is as bad as if writers themselves were to blame. I mean, if I am a writer how can I ever make good story if my supervisers basically tell me to make it bad? We need producers at SEGA, who supervise Sonic Team to be equally dedicated and understanding about Sonic as Sonic Team themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyTurnNow93 View Post
    I'd love to see a game like this. Add the fact that it's a lot easier to make Amy's skills work in Sonic's gameplay style and levels, compared to Tails or Knuckles which have abilities like flight or climbing+gliding that can trivialize levels depending on their design.
    I don't know about "growing as a pair", but Amy does show her love for Sonic in Sonic Advance 3 (and supposedly in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, but that's optional sidequest there and I haven't managed to finish it).

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    I think Sonic not reciprocating Amy's feelings is in itself a jab against her as a character. I mean, she's in love with someone that doesn't like her back, so in love that she kinda stalks him. Because of this she's a character that's difficult to respect and take seriously. Now if Sonic gave her hope it would make her better and it also wouldn't go against Sonic as a character. I don't think making her not like Sonic would be okay too, because then it wouldn't be Amy anymore, it is one of her defining traits.
    I don't think it is, though it also depends on how Sonic acts towards Amy.

Just because Sonic does not correspond to Amy, it does not mean that he can't show some appreciation towards Amy as the only other character that is as loyal as Tails (if not even more). Obviously he's not going to treat her the same as Tails since Sonic would also be cautious to not let out something that might give Amy the wrong idea... Still, I think both characters can understand each other and have a mutual respect. I think something like Sonic reassuring Amy that he'll always be there for her too or any other friendly display would be more than enough.

Likewise, Amy's affection for Sonic, even if not corresponded, can still work in her favor if handled right, such as it being something that Amy diplays in an innocent and playful manner without ever being conditioned to Sonic having to do the same. I feel it would add a noble quality to Amy because it feels sincere and selfless (for example Amy's comitment to put Sonic's well being and happiness before her very own), as well as showing how despite her adoration for her hero, it still something that does not blinding her judgement (like when she stood up to Sonic to keep him from destroying Gamma in SA1) since Amy is IMo that has her priorities well defined by a sense of morality.

Then there's also the way Amy is designed as energetic and with a positive attitude as well as a determination to keep her from giving up. This keeps her character from going into an overdramatic direction regarding Sonic's response to her advances, which are instead played as something light hearted and comical... Though there is also a balance to be kept since Amy is no gag character that can be abused with a detached style of humor... She's still one of the more sympathetic characters in the cast, and even if there is no ill intention, the wrong approach could be perceived as cruel by the audience, particularly fans of the character (regardless of them being Sonamy fans or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If SMS is considered evil then I don't want to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by LootHunter View Post
    I don't know about "growing as a pair", but Amy does show her love for Sonic in Sonic Advance 3 (and supposedly in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, but that's optional sidequest there and I haven't managed to finish it).
    Optional sidequest doesn't make it any less canon as & knuckles is canon and you don't have to play it. A lot of games do have Sonic love Amy more as time passes but sometimes a Sonic games story may stand alone and start there love over again for the beginning.

Peach / Girl Bomber: Tackle with a hip attack, but try not to miss.
    Twilight Sparkle: Sorry, I've been a little skiddley-boppy-boo
    S.Frost: The problem with Sonic is you have to build a lot of content. When speed is your number one thing

I think the characters will be great again if Sonic Team return them to what they used to be in first place and build them upon it .
    Sonic Team changed what fans like about the characters after the game they interduced in , became only shadows for what they used to be .

Quote Originally Posted by Emerlad View Post
    I think the characters will be great again if Sonic Team return them to what they used to be in first place and build them upon it .
    Sonic Team changed what fans like about the characters after the game they interduced in , became only shadows for what they used to be .
    This is true for the series and games in general. Once they return to how it was originally, which Taxman and his team managed to do very well, then the series will be respected and successful again.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213