Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 126

Thread: Is there chance that characters in games will be great again?

  1. #41
    Senior Member Kuronoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Zenithia
    Posts
    22,633

    Default

    I like Tails as a gadgeteer, like in the Game Gear games.

    I think the best way to improve the cast of characters is to organize them where they belong again.

    Tails and Amy I say are the most versatile supporting roles. Like Sonic can be used in most stories. At least I think so.

    Knuckles is not needed all the time. Just when Master Emerald, Angel Island or the Chaos Emeralds are the main subject.

    Chaotix should be solving mysteries and we catch them optionally in a middle of one that can teach us more about Sonic's world or give us the background to the current plot if we seek the end of their case.

    Team Dark can work this way too, since they do a lot of background missions.

    Big and Cream are so neutral and "pacifists" they get deserved small scenes or cameos. Really, a lot of characters work better for spinoffs after their story arc.

    You get the idea.

  2. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I doubt it. Forces proved part of the problem with the game characters is that while they may serve a technical function, they have no chemistry with one another.

    I feel like the quality of writing went down partially because SEGA entrusted the story to primarily be written by Japanese otaku despite Sonic never even being big in their country. Sonic's so obscure there, that now you've got a new generation of people working on him that, unlike the original members of Sonic Team, probably don't care as much about him the way many westerners have over the years. They're in it for a paycheck and it shows. And when you take into account SEGA's attitude and the poorly renown working conditions of the staff, it would probably make it very difficult for them to keep what little motivation they probably already had.

    Furthermore, they're relying on an industry filled with Japanese otaku who .... Don't like interacting with people as much. Which may seem insignificant at first glance, until you recognize a lot more anime is littered with the same types of characters and tropes to compensate. And then you realize how much they rely on this for Sonic. You're looking for Sonic and the characters to improve in an industry that doesn't seem to want to understand organic human interaction to write characters.

    I'm sure not everyone in the industry acts that way. And there is still a lot of good anime out there, but I imagine these are the kinds of people SEGA can afford with their once again, poor, and stressful working conditions. Which only makes things worse because they pigeon-hole Sonic in a niche for uninterested Japanese and a handfull of western anime fans following the otaku writing trends people like Hayao Miyazaki warned us about.


    Quote Originally Posted by PandaChao~ View Post
    I used to like Tails (Well, I was more neutral to him). But now I absolutely hate him as a character lol. He's such a crappy character all around now. And on top of that he plays the obnoxious genius child trope.
    You can be a kid genius and still have a personality. Tails however, feels more like a plot device than an actual character, and I agree he isn't particularly interesting. I feel like he's in the game because people 'expect' him to be, which essentially just gives SEGA room to put little effort into him because he's seen as a quintessential character regardless of the quality of writing he's been given.
    Last edited by Rosaleia; 11-14-2017 at 12:19 PM.

  3. #43
    Senior Member SonikkuEkkusu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Catastrophe  Title:     Black Fallen Angel
    Posts
    4,842

    Default

    #MakeSonicCharactersGreatAgain

    Well, somebody had to post this. XD
    Check out Project Drive!

    "Yami de shika sabakenai tsumi ga aru..."

  4. #44

    Default

    I feel like Amy might be a character who could use further exploration.

    Also, yeah, considering Sonic is more popular in the west than in Japan, maybe we should have western storywriters. Though keep the games less serious than the comics for the most part.
    I played through Amy's portion of Sonic Forces, and enjoyed
    ITSMYTURNNOW93.EXE HAS ENCOUNTERED AN EXCEPTION AND NEEDS TO CLOSE:
    FLOATING POINT DIVISION BY ZERO
    Why are Sonic's friends not playable when they form the core of the resistance?

  5. #45
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyTurnNow93 View Post
    I feel like Amy might be a character who could use further exploration.

    Also, yeah, considering Sonic is more popular in the west than in Japan, maybe we should have western storywriters. Though keep the games less serious than the comics for the most part.
    The Adventure games were about as serious as the comics and SatAM if not moreso in certain instances. What sets Sonic Adventure, SatAM and even to an extent Archie (depending on the era) from Forces is that they knew how to balance the tone of the story better with their characters. They knew how to balance the humor of the characters and make them play off one another, despite the severity of the plot so that the story was still fun and didn't take itself too seriously. Meanwhile, I find Forces a very fitting name for this game due to how forced it felt just to write. Its so focused on its "serious, edgy plot", that the characters come second, and are mostly just there for exposition.

    And I feel like getting more western writers is only half the issue, and one I'm dubious Japan will allow for central titles since doing so would give westerners more authority over the brand and how its handled. Why do that when they know Sonic fans are known for accepting anything regardless of how bad it is? SEGA doesn't feel the need to change.

    That, and the problem isn't soley that SEGA primarily hires Japanese or even otaku. Its that they can only afford low-quality writers because nobody talented is motivated to waste their time working there under SEGA's poor corporate conditions. Even if they hire western writers, they'll probably still be mediocre; the type SEGA can pay to work for peanuts.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Reichskommissar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    11,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleia View Post
    Its that they can only afford low-quality writers because nobody talented is motivated to waste their time working there under SEGA's poor corporate conditions. Even if they hire western writers, they'll probably still be mediocre; the type SEGA can pay to work for peanuts.
    Doesn't seem to affect the Yakuza series, or any other SEGA series apart from Sonic, which pumps out great games with engaging stories and great written characters.


  7. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    Doesn't seem to affect the Yakuza series, or any other SEGA series apart from Sonic, which pumps out great games with engaging stories and great written characters.
    To say all of SEGA's titles are written with engaging stories and characters is highly debatable. As for the Yakuza series however, that franchise does better because they don't treat the it like a blatant cash cow the way they do with Sonic. As popular as Yakuza is, it doesn't have the same degree of brand loyalty amongs its fans the way Sonic does. Which actually helps it because this means SEGA actively has to work harder on it and be competitive. People have higher standards for that series and WILL walk out, if SEGA decides its going to be as sloppy with its production the way they are with Sonic's.

    Again, part of the responsibility for Sonic's decline is on the fans. SEGA knows they'll put up with anything so they don't have to work as hard to sell a good product. Which likewise extends to hiring quality writers.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Reichskommissar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    11,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleia View Post
    To say all of SEGA's titles are written with engaging stories and characters is highly debatable. As for the Yakuza series however, that franchise does better because they don't treat the it like a blatant cash cow the way they do with Sonic. As popular as Yakuza is, it doesn't have the same degree of brand loyalty amongs its fans the way Sonic does. Which actually helps it because this means SEGA actively has to work harder on it and be competitive. People have higher standards for that series and WILL walk out, if SEGA decides its going to be as sloppy with its production the way they are with Sonic's.
    So, SEGA's supposedly poor corporate conditions are not something that can be used to explain poor writing of Sonic, since if that was the case, it'd apply all across all of the companies games, which it evidently does not.


  9. #49
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    So, SEGA's supposedly poor corporate conditions are not something that can be used to explain poor writing of Sonic, since if that was the case, it'd apply all across all of the companies games, which it evidently does not.
    Just because working conditions are better for certain IPs doesn't mean its going to be that way for each one. Why invest in better working conditions for Sonic's staff when there's no motivation to? It "partially" explains the poor writing, because if SEGA puts the Sonic staff under harsh working conditions, naturally the higher quality developers and writers aren't going to put up with it after awhile, and will take their business elsewhere to where their work will be better appreciated; leaving only the more mediocre members to weather the storm because they can't afford to demand better treatment or go somewhere else as easily.
    Last edited by Rosaleia; 11-14-2017 at 07:46 PM.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Reichskommissar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    11,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleia View Post
    Just because working conditions are better for certain IPs doesn't mean its going to be that way for each one. Why invest in better working conditions for Sonic's staff when there's no motivation to? It "partially" explains the poor writing, because if SEGA puts the Sonic staff under harsh working conditions, naturally the higher quality developers and writers aren't going to put up with it after awhile, and will take their business elsewhere to where their work will be better appreciated; leaving only the more mediocre members to weather the storm because they can't afford to demand better treatment or go somewhere else as easily.
    You claimed it was a general issue for SEGA as a company, which it evidently isn't.


Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •