Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EA's attempt to justify a Pay2Win environment in Battlefront II backfires BIGLY

Default EA's attempt to justify a Pay2Win environment in Battlefront II backfires BIGLY

This is what they posted
    The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.
    As a result, many gamers on Reddit downvoted them like crazy, getting to almost -500K. You can read more about it at: https://gizmodo.com/congratulations-...ted-1820391000

I had intended on linking to the Reddit post, but declined due to vulgar comments. But wow. I expected a backlash against EA for this Pay to Win crap, and got more than what I bargained for. YOu know what they say: You play with fire, you get burned, and EA was playing with fire all while surrounded by open barrels of gasoline.
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

I never played the first Battlefront and am surprised how much I do not miss playing star wars games... well, except all the Disney Infinity SW stuff which I played and liked a lot. I mean I would love a new Force Unleashed or Jedi Knight game... but can live without them. The only thing that tempts me though is the SW space battles that Battlefront 2 has... Rogue Leader is still one of the best games ever IMO... and Battlefront 2 is the only way to scratch that itch.

Those user ratings

Xbox Live Gamertag: GOOCH3R
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2375-2456-6218

Senior Member heavily armed waifu's Avatar

Exclamation

par for the course.
    it's one thing to have mega transactions, but to have one that renders the game cheated seems somewhat counterintuitive.
    a game is bought and that's it.
    to pay for the option of 'beating' the game sooner, separates the men from the boys, so to speak.
    perhaps i should give credit to the unknown gamers that are thinking for once.
    about time they made a point.

Watch it make Top 10, if not Top 5 easily.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Quote Originally Posted by - Gooch - View Post
    Those user ratings

Now that's what I call a backlash. In fact, some of the user reviews really drive the point home on how EA ed up. Compare that to the User reviews of Sonic Forces, that's saying alot(And yes, I'm gonna keep doing it)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    Now that's what I call a backlash. In fact, some of the user reviews really drive the point home on how EA ed up. Compare that to the User reviews of Sonic Forces, that's saying alot(And yes, I'm gonna keep doing it)
    Gotta love that professional critic rating. Guess loot crates are pretty cool!
    #1 Final Fantasy character | #1 Nintendo fan | #1 music artist
    "I'm the coolest." óMe
    Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1691-6470-6620

Quote Originally Posted by FFxArianaGrande View Post
    Gotta love that professional critic rating. Guess loot crates are pretty cool!
    Well now I wouldnt' say that

Buried near the bottom of Paul Tassi's excellent piece on how long it takes to grind for Heroes in Star Wars: Battlefront II is an interesting pair of updates.

Tassi points to a video that shows Luke Skywalker costing only 10,000 credits to purchase in the game, as opposed to the 60,000 credits he now costs. Was this how much Luke used to cost before EA raised the prices? wonders Tassi. Or have they already lowered the prices this drastically?

It turns out that neither is the case. This was the price that Luke cost during EA's 'review event' for the game. At these events, game publishers bring a bunch of journalists and streamers together to play the game, eat catered food, have access to the developers and so forth.

Some outlets and individuals even accept travel and lodging from the game publisher on top of the free food. Then, in hotel conference rooms and sometimes even in the hotel rooms themselves, these journalists and YouTubers play the game (on their own for the campaign, and in a group for the multiplayer.)

This is a very convenient way to review a game ahead of launch. You get access early and don't have to worry about not getting a review code in time. You have the developers right there if you need to ask questions. You never want for food and drink. In many ways, it's a great setup for all involved. Certainly game publishers like having reviewers right there, well fed and accessible. If someone doesn't understand something or if there's a bug or a problem, it can be fixed before a review is penned.

There are problems, though. For instance, many reviews of Call of Duty: World War II came out before launch thanks to the review event Activision held before that game's launch. In that cloistered setting, where everything was hooked up via LAN rather than out on the public servers, there were no connectivity issues. For gamers on launch weekend, however, the game was something of a disaster. Even this past weekend (a 2XP weekend no less) World War II's dedicated servers had to be taken down, leaving gamers with a less reliable peer-to-peer setup. I was kicked multiple times and unable to log back on for long stretches this weekend, something I know many others experienced as well.

None of this will be obvious at a review event and so none of these issues will be conveyed to potential consumers in a review.

Or take the cost of Luke Skywalker in Battlefront II. If I'm a reviewer at a review event and the Heroes cost one sixth of what they do at launch, I probably won't even know this. I'll probably assume that this is just how the game works and how much in-game stuff costs. My review will reflect this instead of the truth about the game. And that's the problem with review events. Rather than reflect the truth of these games, they present only a cloistered impression of them; slivers of truth, obscured by the setting, the small changes that make this experience more of a test tube than real life.

Add to this all the other obscuring factors, from sometimes paid travel and lodging to fancy food and a nice hotel, the comaraderie formed between journalists/YouTubers and the developers, PR, and publishers, and you can start to see how, however convenient to all involved, review events are far from perfect when it comes to painting an accurate portrait of these games for gamers.

That doesn't mean they're useless or that the reviews that emerge from review events should be written off entirely. It simply means that savvy consumers should take them with a grain of salt.
    Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#53ed89e33f8f

EA has apparently removed the refund button on their website for battlefront 2

now you have something else to get mad about

Quote Originally Posted by Space Cat View Post
    EA has apparently removed the refund button on their website for battlefront 2

now you have something else to get mad about
    I would, had I pre-ordered the game. Oh well, the ers are gonna get taken to the woodshed and spanked like no tomorrow. XP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast