Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Copped FFXV

Still really digging this. Bummer it's supposed to fall off at the end.
    <a href=http://segabits.com/forums/ target=_blank>http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Dynamite.png</a>
    Gamertag: Pirovash88

Quote Originally Posted by pirovash88 View Post
    Still really digging this. Bummer it's supposed to fall off at the end.
    Well you're kinda lucking out in the sense that you'll benefit from a couple patches that have made the final dungeon much shorter and better-plotted so we'll see.

I do still think the last several hours have big flaws but it'll be interesting to see what you think.

Now Playing: Persona 5 (PS4)
    Recently Completed: South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    Well you're kinda lucking out in the sense that you'll benefit from a couple patches that have made the final dungeon much shorter and better-plotted so we'll see.

I do still think the last several hours have big flaws but it'll be interesting to see what you think.
    From the perspective of a tradition fan and hatter of open worlds I find the game didnt get good until it was linear.

This is the issue with going with split focus. Only one half of the game appeals to each audience. The open world is a mindless fest of the same quest over and over with no depth and 3 pathetically small towns.
    That level of accomplishment when you've finally made it to someones ignore list! Priceless total victory!

I don't mind linearity but linearity doesn't have to mean that the game has to be put on rails. Past FF games managed to allow you to explore while telling linear stories with things like environmental barriers keeping you on the right course. But you still had the freedom to wander.

I've always felt that the combination of the "open world approach" and the linearity is what made the PS1 Final Fantasy games work so well, and though I really liked FF15 a lot, I still think that the PS1 style is the best direction for the series going forward. FF15's choice of providing an incredibly open 2/3 and then suddenly putting the game on rails is a weird one to me.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 12-07-2017 at 03:10 AM.

The on rails thing didn't bother me as oppose to how the game just expected you to know what the hell was going on before hand to give the premise or any of the plot points any meaning or significance.

These are the people that destroyed your hometown, killed your dad, and the dude who punked you and your friends out fights you, you'd think there would be a big payoff.

I dunno, I'm going to buy all the dlc episodes and watch the movie soon.

Game wise, it's not bad, it's just story wise and just the overall setting (I mean it's a medieval times/cyber punk with the same country dinner/inns?) this game is kind of bleh.

Like I said previously, the thing people will remember the most with any rpg is the story, and the fact that the story is dang near non existent.

Like imagine if you're reading the song of Ice and Fire books and you decided to go from a storm of swords right to a dance with dragons, and when you're in the final 1/3 of the book you're just clueless as to how certain things got to where they are because you didn't read a feast for crows.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 15 DLC (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "Did you hear the joke about the roof? Never mind, it's over your head."

I've decided to give the games dlc and movie a try and watch seeing as though I had today off and nothing better to do.

And after playing Episode Gladius, I'm kind of torn. It's incredibly short lived, linear and the payoff isn't something I would recommend for even the few dollars it cost.

Though my experience was fun though. If for nothing else the added lore of the kings guard, Cor, Gladio and my main man Gilgamesh!!! (though he's no where as awesome here as he was in FFV and FF12...or for that matter, even that of FF 13 - 2's DLC, but his metal theme remix is alone worth this inclusion)

And you see, it's stuff like that which kills me. WHY was that omitted from the game? Even if it was an afterthought, I want to learn more about the events that happened prior to the game, as it makes the events in the game all the more significant.

Cause that's how storytelling is suppose to go, you set up something first, so that when something happens, you can react to it. Rather things just happen, and they feel like they have no significance or meaning, and you can only appreciate them in hindsight, and only if you're willing to care enough to spend money to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by - Gooch - View Post
    The movie is actually not bad. I expected it to be rubbish, but it's entertaining enough if you take it for what it is, which is a two hour opening cutscene for the game, lol.
    The short anime episodes on Youtube are also pretty good, especially the episode that focuses on Prompto.
    Got to say, you were right. After watching Spirits Within and Advent Children, I was expecting absolute garbage, but this was a surprisingly well made movie, and well voiced cast. Thankfully the people who cast the roles knew what Sean Bean does best is die in spectacular fashion, and the movie doesn't disappoint. lol. (Still can't forgive pixels, I mean the freaking centipede didn't eat him and he lived throughout that movie, it was *******!!!)

The movie along with Episode Gladius makes me believe the story outside the game, is much better then the story told within the game. Which is atrocious but it's slowly redeeming the the poor story the game told thus far.
    Bad joke of the week: "Did you hear the joke about the roof? Never mind, it's over your head."

Do you recommend i watch the 2 hour opening video so i can take in the lore some more? I didn't even know that was an option.

Definitely glad i won't have to deal with any long dungeons. That's one of the main reasons i quit on FFXII lol.
    <a href=http://segabits.com/forums/ target=_blank>http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Dynamite.png</a>
    Gamertag: Pirovash88

Quote Originally Posted by pirovash88 View Post
    Do you recommend i watch the 2 hour opening video so i can take in the lore some more? I didn't even know that was an option.
    I do and don't. lol.

I mean to get the most out of the story, then I say yes, but see if you can do so by cheap (or free) means. It's a decent movie, it adds to the games lore, but do so only if you really care to do so.

I mean, that's my problem with this game in general, they kind of give you a bare bones basic shell of a story and save a lot of the lore for other media, which to pay for. And to me, just sell me the whole game at once, I'm not sure how or why developers think they're doing gamers a favor selling only part of a game, you have a 100 dollar game, just sell it for 100 bucks. (though now the game, the dlc and the movie wouldn't even add up to 60 dollars, but you get my point)

The game is more or less about just driving around with your buddies to your wedding, taking country roads and what not, Then takes a 360 serious turn when the empire destroys your hometown, kills your father, and you have to seek out the power of the previous luci kings before you take on the empire and exact your revenge.

Except, the empire, what they did, they're motivations, who they are and why they do the things they do are all explained outside of the game.

Not to get into super spoilers just yet, but the part that SL is talking about where they patched kind of ties in with all of this.

Needless to say, imagine how unsatisfying it is to have a resolve to a plot line, and not even know or realize it was a resolve until post game, post buying and watching other media?

I honestly didn't find myself feeling the need to see the movie. It's probably only essential viewing if you're finding yourself wanting more from the game's story; I was fine with the game's story for what it was in an open world game. A couple holes towards the end were annoying and I wish some things were better explained but I didn't find myself regretting not sitting through a 2 hour movie lol.

I mean I dunno maybe I missed a bunch, who knows, but I don't feel compelled to find out. I enjoyed the game and sorta left it at that.

Definitely glad i won't have to deal with any long dungeons. That's one of the main reasons i quit on FFXII lol.
    Yeah it's pretty much the only bad dungeon, and it sort of continues the unfortunate traditions of FF12 and FF13 where they throw you in a ridiculously long final dungeon. It isn't hard though, just goes on and on. It doesn't feel like an RPG dungeon at all, feels almost like a sluggish Resident Evil 6, lol. But again your experience with it will be faster.

Don't let a fear of the final 1/3 hurt your enjoyment of the game though; it really isn't bad, just very linear and kinda melodramatic lol.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 12-09-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    I honestly didn't find myself feeling the need to see the movie. It's probably only essential viewing if you're finding yourself wanting more from the game's story; I was fine with the game's story for what it was in an open world game. A couple holes towards the end were annoying and I wish some things were better explained but I didn't find myself regretting not sitting through a 2 hour movie lol.
    It's not so much about not seeing a 2 hour movie, just the game does an absolute **** poor job of explaining things like the Star Scourge, the importance of Insomia's Wall, The Ring and the Crystal.

The movie in short, does explain most of that. The king is able to put up a wall thanks to his ability to use the ring to power the crystal that keeps out demons from entering Insomia as well as protect it from enemy attack. The emperor wants the crystal and the ring for that reason, and enlists Ardyn as chancellor as he not only came up with the magitech solders and knows about the crystal, but also has the plan to get it.

the king and Luna(because she's an oracle) already kind of know the importance of said ring and crystal and already know the empire is up to no good, arrange it so noct is out of town before everything goes down, and it explains how Luna had the kings ring, and how she escaped the town alive.

Don't let a fear of the final 1/3 hurt your enjoyment of the game though; it really isn't bad, just very linear and kinda melodramatic lol.
    I didn't mind the final 1/3 of the game so much, just the jarring shift to a survival horror game felt completely out of place.

Yeah, the magitech solders are mindless zombies that the empire uses as solders, but like you said, how the game literally becomes resident evil at that point both in setting and in gameplay is kind of ridiculous,

And that's sort of my problem with the games story in general, it doesn't properly set up that 1/3 act of the game.

It's like Ardyn is this lovable goofball to this ultimate evil guy at the snap of a finger. It's like looking at darth vader when he's a kid in phantom meneace to chopping off obiwan's head.

And yeah, I get that noct lived a sheltered life, and he's suppose to be oblivious to a lot of the things around him so that we the players get to learn through his interactions but even Noct doesn't get told half the **** he needs to know, and at the last 1/3 of the game.

And there is so much about noct's dad story that I truly find more interesting than this game. Cid talks about how he and "Reggie" had a falling out. Ok, what was that? and why did Cid change his heart to start helping Noct? Cor the immortal was the youngest Knight to serve the king, has fought by the king, challenge himself to become stronger for the king, and feels a need to help noct out of regret that he didn't do more to help his father, that's some deep **** dude. lol.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast