Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why people hate Sally?

Default Why people hate Sally?

As someone who have entered the internet in 2006-2007, one thing that has brought my attention was the hate Sally has gotten and still to this day goes, I remember some topics regarding her, fanfics describing her as a villian (I legit thought at first that it was a joke but dear lord, many of them depicted Sally as a villian) and even going as far as calling her a manipulative being.

I don't know much about Sally, I know who she is and all, but I don't know her 100%, what I wanna ask is, why did people started hating on her?, what made this a hot topic?, is the hate justified?, I have so many questions..

Senior Member ShadowTheUltimate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DracoMence View Post
    As someone who have entered the internet in 2006-2007, one thing that has brought my attention was the hate Sally has gotten and still to this day goes, I remember some topics regarding her, fanfics describing her as a villian (I legit thought at first that it was a joke but dear lord, many of them depicted Sally as a villian) and even going as far as calling her a manipulative being.

I don't know much about Sally, I know who she is and all, but I don't know her 100%, what I wanna ask is, why did people started hating on her?, what made this a hot topic?, is the hate justified?, I have so many questions..
    She's a great character that represents the west. Of course people are going to hate her.
    "I made a promise and I'm here to keep it."

Honestly, she represents just about everything wrong with how a lot of female characters were written in the 1990's. Let me exlain:

The 90's was the era when feminism was first starting to be felt in the media, meaning that women now needed to be smart and competent. But somehow writers became afraid of giving those characters any obvious faults at all, leading to what we now call "Mary Sue" characters who were presented as ALWAYS being in the right, always intelligent and level-headed and moral. This led to them being boring characters, and they always tried to stand in the way of their crazier friends doing cazy things, leading to them being a force-of-boredom all around, like a nagging nanny preventing the kids from having fun. And as they were also often oboxiously snarky towards their (usually male) companions, they also unintentionally came of as annoying or downright mean.

But thats not all; since old habits die hard, these 90's writers, no matter how much they TRIED to appeal to femininst tastes, simply could not let go of old stereotypes. This meant that at the end of the day, no matter how supposedly "competent" these female characters were, the males had to be the heroes. This meant that these "competent" women were often reduced to the damsel-in-distress role, or at the very least that they always took a backseat to the guys doing the actuall awesome stuff. This led to the EXTREMELY annoying situation where a female character would always be TALKED about as being strong, capable, and heroic, but what we would actually SEE was her being rescued by males who were ACTUALLY stong, capable and heroic.

I short, the 90's gave birth to some of the worst female characters the world has ever seen.

And Sally is, or at least started out being, in many respects, one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlemmer View Post
    Honestly, she represents just about everything wrong with how a lot of female characters were written in the 1990's. Let me exlain:

The 90's was the era when feminism was first starting to be felt in the media, meaning that women now needed to be smart and competent. But somehow writers became afraid of giving those characters any obvious faults at all, leading to what we now call "Mary Sue" characters who were presented as ALWAYS being in the right, always intelligent and level-headed and moral. This led to them being boring characters, and they always tried to stand in the way of their crazier friends doing cazy things, leading to them being a force-of-boredom all around, like a nagging nanny preventing the kids from having fun. And as they were also often oboxiously snarky towards their (usually male) companions, they also unintentionally came of as annoying or downright mean.

But thats not all; since old habits die hard, these 90's writers, no matter how much they TRIED to appeal to femininst tastes, simply could not let go of old stereotypes. This meant that at the end of the day, no matter how supposedly "competent" these female characters were, the males had to be the heroes. This meant that these "competent" women were often reduced to the damsel-in-distress role, or at the very least that they always took a backseat to the guys doing the actuall awesome stuff. This led to the EXTREMELY annoying situation where a female character would always be TALKED about as being strong, capable, and heroic, but what we would actually SEE was her being rescued by males who were ACTUALLY stong, capable and heroic.

I short, the 90's gave birth to some of the worst female characters the world has ever seen.

And Sally is, or at least started out being, in many respects, one of those.
    Worth to add some historical events on the Sonic media that made Sally even more hateful to the fanbase, including the shipping drama agenda, the slap, and the blandness from the post-reboot.

Sally drags down every single FF character, which leads me to believe that the best way to ensure the survival of those characters is to separate and make them secondary occasional cast.

I dislike Sally's character, but I would be giving a chance to see her being written by someone else. Too bad Flynn is back.
    Your actions speak so loudly that I cannot hear what you're saying.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't hate Sally.

I just think that she and Amy would make a cute couple(Runs for it).
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

Sally was not a Mary-Sue, you're thinking of Sonic.

During SatAM, Sally needed other characters more than they relied on her. The closest trope to describe her is the Red-Ogre-Blue-Ogre between her and Sonic; they have differing personalities that compliment each other.

If we're getting into the comics, somewhat different ballgame. At the beginning all was well, then when she broke things off with Sonic in the STUPIDEST, MOST FAN-RAGING-INDUCINGIST thing I've ever seen, things began to change. Sonic was always wrong and she was always right, but she was still more bland than anything. This likely stemmed from the fact that they needed to reboot everything after the Great Pender%^#k and didn't really have an idea what to do with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    I don't hate Sally.

I just think that she and Amy would make a cute couple(Runs for it).
    GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr...
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

A lot of it probably comes from role conflict where two characters with a love interest role, designed for different adaptations of the franchise, both appear in a third adaptation. You had Amy from the games, and Sally from the early cartoons. Then the comics tried to squeeze both in. So you have Amy fans and Sally fans fighting over who should be with Sonic.

Then add in even more love interest characters to the comics (e.g. Mina). Add in poor writing that ends up exaggerating the characters' flaws to give the shippers ammunition to attack the "opposing" ship.

Personally I don't think Sonic should be about love triangles at all (the newer issues seemed to have moved away from that, at least, by downplaying romance AFAIK).

I don't really dislike Sally as a character, but I still prefer Amy as being Sonic's potential love interest, particularly in the games. There's plenty of potential to explore the interaction between those two without introducing another character to create a love triangle and complicate things.

If they did want to make Sally a game character I'd prefer that they don't make her a clear love interest to Sonic. Maybe do something similar to what they did with Sonic and Blaze in the Rush games if they want to do something with them.
    I played through Amy's portion of Sonic Forces, and enjoyed
    ITSMYTURNNOW93.EXE HAS ENCOUNTERED AN EXCEPTION AND NEEDS TO CLOSE:
    FLOATING POINT DIVISION BY ZERO
    Why are Sonic's friends not playable when they form the core of the resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyTurnNow93 View Post
    A lot of it probably comes from role conflict where two characters with a love interest role, designed for different adaptations of the franchise, both appear in a third adaptation. You had Amy from the games, and Sally from the early cartoons. Then the comics tried to squeeze both in. So you have Amy fans and Sally fans fighting over who should be with Sonic.

Then add in even more love interest characters to the comics (e.g. Mina). Add in poor writing that ends up exaggerating the characters' flaws to give the shippers ammunition to attack the "opposing" ship.

Personally I don't think Sonic should be about love triangles at all (the newer issues seemed to have moved away from that, at least, by downplaying romance AFAIK).

I don't really dislike Sally as a character, but I still prefer Amy as being Sonic's potential love interest, particularly in the games. There's plenty of potential to explore the interaction between those two without introducing another character to create a love triangle and complicate things.

If they did want to make Sally a game character I'd prefer that they don't make her a clear love interest to Sonic. Maybe do something similar to what they did with Sonic and Blaze in the Rush games if they want to do something with them.
    Personally, I liked the other love interest characters. I don't care about shipping (blech). I liked seeing the relationships because it changed dynamics of the characters which keeps things interesting when the FF vs. Robotnik thread wears thin. I thought Mina was cute even felt she was a better match for Sonic than Sally. I loved Fiona (like, wow., that jumpsuit <3) but when she ditched Sonic for Scourge that felt SO forced and unnatural. Honestly, wished there were more love interests for the other characters.

edit: Just saw the fine print. Yeah, I'd be fine with that. I just want her there.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

Senior Member ShadowTheUltimate's Avatar

I guess I haven't gotten to the comics where Sally is always right then... From what I've read, she's definitely a moral character (But I see her as... I forget which one, but one of the Presidents' wives. I believe it was Roosevelt's). Always doing her best, being active and helping in any way she can (I specifically saw this during Shadow's rule where he was strict and she would go around helping the people). But either way, she was always strong, but she knew how to play her role. When Sonic asked her to do something, she would do it. The Sally I'm reading so far has been a very strong compliment to Sonic.
    "I made a promise and I'm here to keep it."

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktopus View Post
    Personally, I liked the other love interest characters. I don't care about shipping (blech). I liked seeing the relationships because it changed dynamics of the characters which keeps things interesting when the FF vs. Robotnik thread wears thin. I thought Mina was cute even felt she was a better match for Sonic than Sally. I loved Fiona (like, wow., that jumpsuit <3) but when she ditched Sonic for Scourge that felt SO forced and unnatural. Honestly, wished there were more love interests for the other characters.

edit: Just saw the fine print. Yeah, I'd be fine with that. I just want her there.
    I wonder how much of the love interest shuffling was forced by writers or by SEGA. First it was Sonic with Sally. Then Sonic with Mina. Then Sonic with Fiona. Then back to Sally. Then at one point Sally goes with Monkey Khan and Sonic goes with Amy. Then it goes back to Sonic and Sally. Then reboot the whole thing and downplay romance altogether.

Also I like how you say you don't care about shipping but your avatar is Sally kissing Sonic. Though I guess you mainly like Sally so you support that pairing but aren't really crazy about it.

I'm kind of similar with Amy. I really like Amy in particular and I support pairing her and Sonic together. But I'm not a crazy shipper that only wants to see that and nothing else - I'd want the relationship between the two characters to be developed properly. I do want to see that, but I'd be content just to have Amy kicking butt again like she did in the older 3D games, ideally taking it to the next level over her past accomplishments.

Now, if they did introduce Sally to the games, how would she fit in? Would she still be a princess? If so, where would her kingdom be? Would it be on Sonic's world (requiring an explanation on how we didn't see it before) or in another dimension (similar to Blaze)?
    I played through Amy's portion of Sonic Forces, and enjoyed
    ITSMYTURNNOW93.EXE HAS ENCOUNTERED AN EXCEPTION AND NEEDS TO CLOSE:
    FLOATING POINT DIVISION BY ZERO
    Why are Sonic's friends not playable when they form the core of the resistance?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast