Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation Experience 2017

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdeptRogue View Post
    As selfish as it sounds, I don't want to see anymore Yakuza games right after releasing 2 games this year and one coming in spring next year. They need give us something new because the past few years at the PlayStation Experience all they have shown was Yakuza and it's getting repetitive, all they can do is show us more VC4 or announce Shining Resonance or A Certain Virtual On localization. In other words the Yakuza needs to go FAR FAR away for over staying it's welcome and the fact games aren't selling well, you guys can give the series a rest can you?
    Have you played a Yakuza game before? There are always improvements. The repitition only gets stale if there's no progress, which there is in every entry. Similarities arise because it's a thing called genre. FPS games and 3rd person shooters are very similar yet they are the best selling games out there. Open world, Ubisoft-type games are basically cut and paste game design and they sell well.

There's a new IP coming up called Hokotu Ga Gotoku, a mobile game, and a new Yakuza entry with a new protagonist and story. You want the series to stop coming to the west because you feel that it's getting repetitive? Well I'm sure if you talk to Sega and just let them know how entitled you feel they'll do something about it.

Shortcomings in terms of sales might have to do with the series being mismanaged since day 1, and even with the new team they can't do damage control properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Have you played a Yakuza game before? There are always improvements. The repitition only gets stale if there's no progress, which there is in every entry. Similarities arise because it's a thing called genre. FPS games and 3rd person shooters are very similar yet they are the best selling games out there. Open world, Ubisoft-type games are basically cut and paste game design and they sell well.

There's a new IP coming up called Hokotu Ga Gotoku, a mobile game, and a new Yakuza entry with a new protagonist and story. You want the series to stop coming to the west because you feel that it's getting repetitive? Well I'm sure if you talk to Sega and just let them know how entitled you feel they'll do something about it.

Shortcomings in terms of sales might have to do with the series being mismanaged since day 1, and even with the new team they can't do damage control properly.
    Here is my reason why I think Sega should focus on something else not waste their resources on more Yakuza titles. Yes I have played them and it's same thing everytime they release a new game and no improvements doesn't make the series even better. In fact you can make the most crafted game in the series and you will get the same results and because Yakuza gets a yearly release following the same characters and same location, there's no reason to get (over)hyped about it. And you want to know the best part is? There is something called burnouts/fatigue, with each new release sales drop and that means more money for them to burn. Everyone I talked to is either not interested of the series to being fatigue due to many releases of the same thing.
    As for Hokotu Ga Gotoku, it's literally Yakuza with Fist of the Star skin slapped right on it so it's not a new IP it's a license-based franchise, if that's not enough that Yakuza isn't getting borderline milked, they are using the voice cast from the series to voice the Fist of the North Star characters.

Nintendo is on a whole other spectrum with their product life cycle, and mid life cycle upgrades don't compare to new hardware releases. You just can't judge consumer behavior based on that, it's about the previous and current market cycles. When that next leap in hardware is here expect more people to buy consoles, just the way it always been.

I'm really talking about why you should be worried about Hokuto Ga Gotoko not being localized. Graphics and outdated mechanics have always been a complaint in Yakuza games outside of Japan for a reason, being outdated did hurt the series. Nagoshi's team seems to put out games in yearly plans to reach specific time periods and you can be sure that profits are considered in planning the release dates accordingly. So when when Sega stretches releases too far apart they're really not looking at long term threats.

So the point I'm trying to make is, skipping a year might be okay for hardcore fans who are going to buy it anyway, but it will damage the series and sales, and we have two games released by the end of a console's life cycle to back me up: Yakuza 2 which failed sales-wise and became difficult to buy shortly after its release all the way up to this day, hurting the series some more. Add to that Yakuza 5 which was NOT going to be localized if Sony didn't step in, and was released digital-only and had plenty of localization errors. The only thing that makes sense is if they can catch up to the Japanese releases.

From what I've heard that's exactly what they want to do, but at this rate of efficiency - or lack thereof - it's worrying, and even if we are getting the games without much begging we can't give Sega props for that. It seems like the series continues to be mismanaged by the Western division. I don't understand how can a localization job can take longer than developing an entire game. I don't know if it's the low budget because the more you stretch out a project the more money the company uses to feed it. It's what got Kojima fired right? He used an out of schedule and over budget project to hold Konami ransom basically.
    I understand your worries, but we still aren't near the end of PS4 life cycle, PS2 and PS3 lasted more than 10 years, with PS4 we are only in its 4th year and both MS and Sony just released their mid-gen hardware to rebalance the gap with the PC world (if they intended to launch PS5 in the next 1-2 year, why wasting money on midgen hardware?), without any additional element of disturbance, I think that at least for 2-3 years we should be fine with the current hardware.
    Microsoft probably will not even made a Xbox Two since it doesn't consider One X a midgen but their future.

Now Sega is finally doing his job in developing console game in Japan with his own teams and localizing them all with their western branches.
    But you must understand also that we can't have 3 Yakuza games each year otherwise the market will saturate.
    Yakuza 6 is expected in March, Kiwami 2 probably at the end of 2018 or beginning 2019, sooner will just harm the series.

Now Hokuto Ga Gotoku while similar it's a brand new game and IP aimed to another audience, (fans of the manga/anime primarly), so they can release Hokuto in mid-2018 also to cover Kiwami 2 that should (and must) arrive later.

Not to mention that we also have other Sega games, Valkyria 4 finally during 2018, with a little luck Virtual On and Project Diva Complete Disc Edition too, so Sega is pretty busy, it's really unfair to criticize them now.
    They are doing a wonderful job and I hope they will get better and better at both developing and localizing since they are on the right path finally.
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/11403311736_d9378cea2e_o.jpg
    We want Panzer Dragoon SAGA 2 RPG on PS4 and other home consoles, please Sega, please Nagoshi!

@blueadeptrogue I can guarantee you didnt play the Yakuza games. So you think they should focus on other franchises that do the same thing? You don't know what you're talking about. Theres a reason why theykeep making these games and its because they do sell with proper marketing in Japan. They have improved and the whole franchise fatigue can be circumvented if they try to build and expand on whats already there. You judged HGG before it releases too so you don't know what you're talking about honestly. Its one of the top earning franchises that Sega makes with critical acclaim and a strong followimg. But they should leave it anyway. Now go ahead and leave my sight.

@CityHunter we can agree that there is an issue with timing the releases. Its their own doing really. The PS4 has 2 years most likely. You know what hurts software sales for an old console right? A 6th entry in the series is a hard sell for newcomers. If they can release Kiwami 2 closer to 1 then its a good thing because its a huge upgrade. They can sell them if they market the games better. Its not like we're talking about WWE games or a Warriors game here. Just the fact that it takes them a year to translate and alter the code is ridiculous makes them open for criticism. I think we can also agree that other companies would have done a way better job at localizing.

@blueadeptrogue I can guarantee you didnt play the Yakuza games. So you think they should focus on other franchises that do the same thing? You don't know what you're talking about. Theres a reason why theykeep making these games and its because they do sell with proper marketing in Japan. They have improved and the whole franchise fatigue can be circumvented if they try to build and expand on whats already there. You judged HGG before it releases too so you don't know what you're talking about honestly. Its one of the top earning franchises that Sega makes with critical acclaim and a strong followimg. But they should leave it anyway. Now go ahead and leave my sight.
    You don't need to be overly defensive because how I feel, what I have played, and what I said about the Yakuza series. I played them and given them a chance just to get a better judgement of the series, the results are the same, they don't appeal to me, they are repetitive, and they are not GOTY material or games to get hyped about. The series has never been doing well here even with marketing here, the franchise has been decline for some time now including Japan. The reason I want Sega to bring other titles here that I mentioned because they don't get a yearly installment like the Yakuza series. When's the last time we got a sequel to the most awarded game series Valkyria Chronicles? Hmmm When was the last time we got a Shining game here? Hmmm When was the last time has Sega made a brand new Virtual On game? Hmmm Lastly, where is Phantasy Star Online 2, the game that we were promised 5 years ago? Hmmmmmmm. Should I care for about another 10 year remake Yakuza, a mobage Yakuza game, another main Yakuza title, and a Yakuza game based on Fist of the North Star? Should I, do I need to care about these 4 Yakuza titles over like Valkyria Chronicles 4, PSO2, and Shining Resonance PS4? You need to get your head straighten if you think the answer is yes.

Point is, they can make the most crafted game in the series or better than the last game and I still wouldn't care cause like COD and Assassin's Creed it's a yearly installment that does the same thing everytime they release one. I say to them I have no care in the world for them and there are zero reasons to get hype for them.
    And dude that last comment, "Now go ahead and leave my sight". Act your age.

I'm not getting defensive, just annoyed honestly.

We can argue the finer points why these games take quality into consideration, and how they evolve in quality but if you don't like the genre then you're biased and there is no point if you cant relate what I'm saying to experience. I understand that its not your thing, just understand that other people get it and they love these games.

Yakuza 6 has Puyo Puyo and VF5 among other stuff, no microtransactions and free DLC. Give it some props. You can't compare em to COD or AC for obvious reasons. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

I'm willing to buy you a couple of Yakuza games seriously If you live in my area. We can meet in a mall or something so you won't think I'm psycho, try em, send me your completion message and then tell me what you think.

@CityHunter we can agree that there is an issue with timing the releases. Its their own doing really. The PS4 has 2 years most likely. You know what hurts software sales for an old console right? A 6th entry in the series is a hard sell for newcomers. If they can release Kiwami 2 closer to 1 then its a good thing because its a huge upgrade. They can sell them if they market the games better. Its not like we're talking about WWE games or a Warriors game here. Just the fact that it takes them a year to translate and alter the code is ridiculous makes them open for criticism. I think we can also agree that other companies would have done a way better job at localizing.
    The timing for the relases would be difficult for any company since it's a yearly series, the only solution would be make worldwide releases for Yakuza at the same time for Japan/Asia/West (like they are doing with Valkyria 4), but maybe we're not far from that, things are improving.

I don't think a 6th entry would worry too much the newcomers, I don't think for example that all the people who bought Metal Gear V played all the previous Metal Gear games (on the contrary I think only a very small portion of gamers did this) so I don't think a numbered game would scare people too much, what scared people about Yakuza is that they didn't know what kind of game it was, but thanks to Yakuza 5, 0 and Kiwami 1, they are starting to know and love the series and now we have new gamers joining the community of fans and the series in an health state.

But they have to pay attention to saturation now otherwise the series will suffer fatigue here like it's suffering in Japan.

That's why after Yakuza 6, Hokuto Ga Gotoku would probably be the best way to break the routine with a new thing that will also be loved by yakuza fans, so when Kiwami 2 will be released later both the game and players will feel fresh.
    We want Panzer Dragoon SAGA 2 RPG on PS4 and other home consoles, please Sega, please Nagoshi!

I'm willing to buy you a couple of Yakuza games seriously If you live in my area. We can meet in a mall or something so you won't think I'm psycho, try em, send me your completion message and then tell me what you think.
    Hey that's not fair if I say that I hate Yakuza would you buy me a copy too?

@BlueAdeptRogue

I know how you feel, but there's no need to be harsh toward the Yakuza series anymore since Sega Japan finally understood that we can't have only Yakuza and Sonic on console are are making many other console games (a new Virtual On, Shining Resonance Refrain, Valkyria 4 etc.).

Not to mention that even Yakuza Studio is improving, Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2 are made with a brand new engine and system and I can say after tried both that they are two fresh experiences, more similar to Shenmue), even Hokuto Ga Gotoku will not be just a reskin, it's just borrowing the open world system and the vocie actors but it will be a different game and a new experience, and a dream come true for the fans of the manga/anime.

Things are improving guys, let' hope that things will continue improving and that we will receive all these games in the West,

(sorry guys for the triple post )

@cityhunter I agree with you on that. Worldwide release would definitely be the best option. All the waiting is brutal, and you can't expect players to remember Yakuza Kiwami 1 after a year and a half. If theres a risk for saturation quality releases and proper marketing should cover it. I believe Kiwami should have been marketed as an expansion or something. I'd buy you the games but I'm worried you'll get fatigued.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast