Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: F2P Paladin gets worse with Pay2Win Loot Boxes

  1. #21
    Senior Member BlackmageZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    6,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    Oh Microtransactions/Loot Boxes are Optional" hog wash.
    You can choose to buy them or not. That's the very definition of optional.

    Downloadable Content, Toys to Life and SEASON PASSES are morally superior to Microtransactions
    No. The first three are all things you have to buy for content, the latter isn't. lol.

    No, and I also liked Skylanders, Disney Infinity and LEGO Dimensions as well. Hell, with Toys 2 Life, you at least have a Physical product to hold
    Great, and the people who simply wanted to buy a 1 dollar skin/weapon can pay up to 16 bucks for something that will collect dust.

    What's morally superior about forcing people to pay extra money for something in one instance and not the other, especially since again, you don't need to buy a microtransaction to unlock content?

    And on a side note: Hyrule Warriors is the best Zelda game ever. Better than the overrated Majora's Mask.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "I like Waiters, they bring a lot to the table."







  2. #22
    Senior Member Captain Linebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    24,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    They are now. You could have protested more than 10 years ago, back when the idea was new. I didn't mind DLC even long before Nintendo implemented it into their games, and that was when I was buying games on Steam and GoG.

    And in some cases, yeah, I do have a problem with Nintendo and Loot Boxes. One of the reasons why I don't play Fire Emblem heroes that often is that I find their Loot Box setup more tedious than just buying the characters straight off the bat. I may like the game's setup of not losing your heroes if they die, but even I think that loot boxes are one of the most stupid ideas ever to put into a F2P game, even one by the Big N. Why I don't raise a stink about it, is that I'm not as harsh on F2P games as I am on $60 games. I tend to give them a free pass because being Free 2 Play is the price to pay for Microtransactions.
    That's nice and all, but I prefer to unlock the content in my full priced game by...actually playing the damn game. Remember that? Wasn't that great? No system in place actively flying in the face of game design by making actually playing it a boring slog so you cave in and shell out more cash for the things you want. No content locked away behind toys that were likely all bought up by scalpers before you even try tracking one down.

    You keep ignoring this though. How many amiibos do you need to buy to get all of BotW's content now? It's quite a lot, enough to total around $120-$130 or so by a quick estimation. Oh and there's more amiibo locked content on the horizon with the Champion amiibos too. Can you really defend this? Can you really? Can you tell me why you unironically think that it's ok when Nintendo does it, without going off on a tangent about moral superiority (lmao), woodsheds, or Fox News?


    aspiring memesmith

  3. #23
    Senior Member Kuronoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Zenithia
    Posts
    22,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackmageZero View Post
    Considering how much you end up paying for an amiibo which usually at most grants you 1-3 cosmetic/unlockable things in a nintendo game, you'd actually unlock more with loot boxes for the same price. And you wouldn't have to go tracking down exclusive one offs at toys r us and the likes either.

    Just saying...

    You pay once for Amiibo. It just costs so much because it's tied to figurines.

    Okay, I'm staying out of this discussion other than this but I have to say the figurines themselves are worth the price. They improved their quality build overtime and I really like the designs of some of these. Like the Kirby one on his warpstar and the Pikmin group one are adorable.

    The use of them varies. Mario and Link add up well if you count their unlocks compared to what other games charge as DLC. Others are one time use. I think the biggest issue of their use is that Nintendo wants you to buy Alts of character Amiibo that do different things. Like with the Metroid Amiibo. I think that goes against their pitch of rolling over Amiibos to future games because surprise you have to buy the one with the different pose.


    EDIT: Is this just a thread to chew out Black Diamond? I thought this is supposed to be about Loot boxes. Calm down you two.
    Last edited by Kuronoa; 12-03-2017 at 04:22 PM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Black_Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    13,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuronoa View Post

    You pay once for Amiibo. It just costs so much because it's tied to figurines.

    Okay, I'm staying out of this discussion other than this but I have to say the figurines themselves are worth the price. They improved their quality build overtime and I really like the designs of some of these. Like the Kirby one on his warpstar and the Pikmin group one are adorable.

    The use of them varies. Mario and Link add up well if you count their unlocks compared to what other games charge as DLC. Others are one time use. I think the biggest issue of their use is that Nintendo wants you to buy Alts of character Amiibo that do different things. Like with the Metroid Amiibo. I think that goes against their pitch of rolling over Amiibos to future games because surprise you have to buy the one with the different pose.


    EDIT: Is this just a thread to chew out Black Diamond? I thought this is supposed to be about Loot boxes. Calm down you two.
    Sadly, it has. All I wanted to talk about was loot boxes in a F2P game, and there were people who wanted to turn it into an Anti-Nintendo thread. Personally, I should have reported them for going off-topic, but I let my desire for chaos on these forums get the best of me.
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Captain Linebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    24,979

    Default

    So I guess not huh? lol


    aspiring memesmith

  6. #26
    Senior Member BlackmageZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    6,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuronoa View Post

    You pay once for Amiibo. It just costs so much because it's tied to figurines.

    Okay, I'm staying out of this discussion other than this but I have to say the figurines themselves are worth the price. They improved their quality build overtime and I really like the designs of some of these. Like the Kirby one on his warpstar and the Pikmin group one are adorable.

    The use of them varies. Mario and Link add up well if you count their unlocks compared to what other games charge as DLC. Others are one time use. I think the biggest issue of their use is that Nintendo wants you to buy Alts of character Amiibo that do different things. Like with the Metroid Amiibo. I think that goes against their pitch of rolling over Amiibos to future games because surprise you have to buy the one with the different pose.


    EDIT: Is this just a thread to chew out Black Diamond? I thought this is supposed to be about Loot boxes. Calm down you two.
    I mean, that's my main problem with amiibos lately, especially with botw alt amiibos and now the new metroid idk.

    Plus I always ask the simple question of why not just both? Why can't I just make a digital purchase of what i want to unlock as oppose to an amiibo or card? If that was a thing, I wouldn't have such an issue with amiibos, it's still b.s. at the end of the day, but a scalpable paywall for a videogame? Screw that.

    I'm not chewing out Black Diamond. I'm just saying as somebody who has experience really doing all of the above (buying amiibos, dlc, season passes, loot boxes)...Loot boxes are really not that bad. Especially if the argument is about morality, at the end of the day, you don't have to buy a loot box. No paywall as oppose to a paywall is obviously morally better.

    If we're talking about game design, both suck since they're making games that revolve around making the purchase of either appealing.

    Granted nintendo isn't making headlines, which is true, but that also kind of shows the sad post wii U state of nintendo more than anything.

    Everybody is going to know about and want to play a major aaa revolving around a franchise that's been around for nearly 40 years and is coming out the same time as one of the biggest movies of the year, as oppose to a game that gets 1.5 - 2 million sales on a failed console.

    Granted there was crap in botw and metroid 2, but again, how many people are really going to care about a metroid game compared to a star wars game *dies on the inside* and botw gets overlooked for the amiibo b.s. because at the end of the day it's probably the better of both games.

    There's a difference between having something that can be interpreted as gambling in certain areas in the country/world where gambling is outlawed, but that's a question of legality as oppose to morality.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "I like Waiters, they bring a lot to the table."







  7. #27
    Senior Member Black_Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    13,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackmageZero View Post
    I mean, that's my main problem with amiibos lately, especially with botw alt amiibos and now the new metroid idk.

    Plus I always ask the simple question of why not just both? Why can't I just make a digital purchase of what i want to unlock as oppose to an amiibo or card? If that was a thing, I wouldn't have such an issue with amiibos, it's still b.s. at the end of the day, but a scalpable paywall for a videogame? Screw that.

    I'm not chewing out Black Diamond. I'm just saying as somebody who has experience really doing all of the above (buying amiibos, dlc, season passes, loot boxes)...Loot boxes are really not that bad. Especially if the argument is about morality, at the end of the day, you don't have to buy a loot box. No paywall as oppose to a paywall is obviously morally better.

    If we're talking about game design, both suck since they're making games that revolve around making the purchase of either appealing.

    Granted nintendo isn't making headlines, which is true, but that also kind of shows the sad post wii U state of nintendo more than anything.

    Everybody is going to know about and want to play a major aaa revolving around a franchise that's been around for nearly 40 years and is coming out the same time as one of the biggest movies of the year, as oppose to a game that gets 1.5 - 2 million sales on a failed console.

    Granted there was crap in botw and metroid 2, but again, how many people are really going to care about a metroid game compared to a star wars game *dies on the inside* and botw gets overlooked for the amiibo b.s. because at the end of the day it's probably the better of both games.

    There's a difference between having something that can be interpreted as gambling in certain areas in the country/world where gambling is outlawed, but that's a question of legality as oppose to morality.
    The ironic part about comparing Loot Boxes to Gambling is that with Gambling, you were trying to win money by spending money. I once had a thing about playing Slot Machines, Video Poker, and even table games like Blackjack. I quit because it felt like a time waster to me.

    With Loot Boxes, you're betting ether win new skins/emotes, or new characters, upgrades or even new weapons within the game. With Battlefront 2, you gotta use the Loot Box if you want to make your character better.
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

  8. #28
    Senior Member BlackmageZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    6,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    Personally, I should have reported them for going off-topic.
    Go right ahead, don't do me any favors if I broke the rules, but last I checked all I did was present my counter argument to your post and points.

    And btw, fyi I'm not anti nintendo, I'm against hiding content behind cards and figurines (I just finished telling kuronoa I wouldn't have an issue if I can still buy/unlock content with a digital purchase). I simply brought up the double standard that many users on these boards had in the past that they're ok with now, I mean if I wanted to I can even bring up older threads from years backs and people can see themselves with their own posts.

    But whatever, if I'm not 100% behind something, I must be 100% against it? sure. why not? Because logic?

    You say you want a discussion, yet you don't, so I dunno dude, make up your mind.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "I like Waiters, they bring a lot to the table."







  9. #29
    Senior Member ShadowLegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The city of Lindblum
    Posts
    54,649

    Default

    It's funny, if it weren't for these topics, I probably never would have heard of any of the games that Black Diamond's complaining about lol.

    Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

  10. #30
    Senior Member Kuronoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Zenithia
    Posts
    22,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackmageZero View Post
    I mean, that's my main problem with amiibos lately, especially with botw alt amiibos and now the new metroid idk.

    Plus I always ask the simple question of why not just both? Why can't I just make a digital purchase of what i want to unlock as oppose to an amiibo or card? If that was a thing, I wouldn't have such an issue with amiibos, it's still b.s. at the end of the day, but a scalpable paywall for a videogame? Screw that.
    Mario Odyssey's Amiibo costumes can be earned in-game they just unlock stuff sooner.
    Not all Amiibo use can be paid DLC, Fire Emblem Echoes saves stats to the figurine. And idea of summoning allies brief time wouldn't make good paid microtransaction.

    Why it isn't DLC? I dunno anymore. Nintendo probably doesn't care that you cannot get that costume that most companies charge 2-3 dollars for. And to be frank so many items used to be unattainable throughout gaming because companies want to reward frequent buyers. I had to get a GBA to Gamecube connector to play Billy Hatcher's minigames. *shrug* It does suck sometimes we are at a point in the industry where if you aren't getting what's on disc you buy supplemental items on the digital store. So Nintendo isn't always doing that.


    I'm not chewing out Black Diamond.
    Oh no when I said calm down you two I meant Black and Linebeck arguing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •