Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when they said they were going to focus on quality again?

Senior Member ShadowTheUltimate's Avatar

Still can't get over how severely they butchered Forces... it had such great potential, so many missed opportunities.
    "I made a promise and I'm here to keep it."

Senior Member Aaronterasu Okami's Avatar

The CEO never said sega was going to make quality games he said he was considering it and then said "No promises." therefore you can't call him a liar.
    Last edited by Aaronterasu Okami; 12-07-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Sure thing. I also remember people using the time spent on the engime to defend the state of the game.

On the bright side we still have Mania. Sonic Team gonna need to try harder to make Sonic reputation go back to the bottom :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronterasu Okami View Post
    The CEO never said sega was going to make quality games he said he was considering it and then said "No promises." therefore you can't call him a liar.
    Thats a brilliant idea! From now on, Sonic Team should use this as theme phrase whenever they develop a new Sonic game. "No promises" its quite catchy
    Last edited by Saberyoko; 12-07-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    Introducing Mephiles 2.0

"None of this is Good, Vector. Thats why it's called war."
    By Knuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronterasu Okami View Post
    Iizuka said they would make quality games in the Summer of Sonic 20th Anniversary interview and again during, I think, Lost World. Not like they shouldn't strive to do so, anyway.

NOT EVEN ONE GAME AFTER THE FACT. I don't count Mania, since it is the anti-establishment Sonic game. The best thing Sonic Team did was get out of their own way in the 2D department.

Also, forget about arguing whether hey lied or not. If the CEO said that they make no promises for quality (which is immensely stupid), then they're non-committal hacks. If they promised quality, and don't deliver, then they're committed hacks. Just file this declaration of quality with all the others from the past ten years. They all hold the same amount of weight.
    If you give a good idea to a mediocre team, they will screw it up. If you give a mediocre idea to a brilliant team, they will either fix it or throw it away and come up with something better...If you arenít experiencing failure, then you are making a far worse mistake: You are being driven by the desire to avoid it. -Ed Catmull,

Quote Originally Posted by Theadvisor1234 View Post
    I don't count Mania, since it is the anti-establishment Sonic game.
    Not sure what that means, but Mania was still a quality Sonic game, the likes of which we hadn't had for twenty something years.

Also, forget about arguing whether hey lied or not. If the CEO said that they make no promises for quality (which is immensely stupid), then they're non-committal hacks. If they promised quality, and don't deliver, then they're committed hacks. Just file this declaration of quality with all the others from the past ten years. They all hold the same amount of weight.
    To be honest, this year SEGA has released plenty of quality games, outside of the best Sonic game in two decades. So it's not like they didn't deliver on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    Not sure what that means, but Mania was still a quality Sonic game, the likes of which we hadn't had for twenty something years.

To be honest, this year SEGA has released plenty of quality games, outside of the best Sonic game in two decades. So it's not like they didn't deliver on that front.
    Mania doesn't count, because it's the game we should have gotten a long time ago. They don't get extra points for the bare minimum, especially when they had to rely on another team to make it happen. I still think Mania's a good game, and certainly the best in a long time, but that doesn't mean much when it's the first great game after a line of stinkers.

The bar should be pushed even higher. Sonic Team has failed this year. A new team has succeeded. That's why I don't say that Sega has kept their promise, at least regarding Sonic, and I couldn't care less about their other franchises.
    If you give a good idea to a mediocre team, they will screw it up. If you give a mediocre idea to a brilliant team, they will either fix it or throw it away and come up with something better...If you arenít experiencing failure, then you are making a far worse mistake: You are being driven by the desire to avoid it. -Ed Catmull,

Well, not for nothing outside of the rise of lyric and alien colonial marines we have seen better quality titles. Sega wasn't rushing things out, and for all intents and purposes, even the likes of Fire and Ice and Forces are well polished games.

And am I the only one that doesn't hate forces? Granted, it's nothing special, but I had fun playing it, I have fun replaying it as I try to strive for S ranks, red rings, 5 counts and silver moons.

Then again, I went into the game with Zero expectations, so the fact that the game looked and played as well as it did was already in the black for me. lol.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 15 DLC (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "Did you hear the joke about the roof? Never mind, it's over your head."

Quote Originally Posted by Theadvisor1234 View Post
    Mania doesn't count, because it's the game we should have gotten a long time ago.
    I don't really understand this line of thought, by that logic wee can not count countless of future Sonic games, even if they are great, simply because it's something we should've gotten a long time ago.

They don't get extra points for the bare minimum, especially when they had to rely on another team to make it happen.
    It's not unprecedented for companies to outsource development of games, I don't see why that would disqualify it.

And, a great game is now considered the bare minimum? What is par then? GotY? Game of the decade perhaps?

I still think Mania's a good game, and certainly the best in a long time, but that doesn't mean much when it's the first great game after a line of stinkers.
    If anything, that makes it mean all that much more. Mania effectively ensures that 2017 was the best year the series has had in the two decades. How can that not mean much?

That's why I don't say that Sega has kept their promise, at least regarding Sonic,
    Why not? They've released the best Sonic game in two decades.

and I couldn't care less about their other franchises.
    You're missing out. Besides, it's still a part of their portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmageZero View Post
    Well, not for nothing outside of the rise of lyric and alien colonial marines we have seen better quality titles. Sega wasn't rushing things out, and for all intents and purposes, even the likes of Fire and Ice and Forces are well polished games.

And am I the only one that doesn't hate forces? Granted, it's nothing special, but I had fun playing it, I have fun replaying it as I try to strive for S ranks, red rings, 5 counts and silver moons.

Then again, I went into the game with Zero expectations, so the fact that the game looked and played as well as it did was already in the black for me. lol.
    "Hate" is a word that gets thrown a lot. I hated the prequel Star Wars movies, I hate getting stuck in traffic, I hate my boss. "Hating" Forces might be strong. By almost all accounts, the game is mediocre, but the hate is there. The hate stems from the fact that we, as fans, were let down YET AGAIN, that riding on the heels of one of the greatest games of the last 20 years was a phoned-in, lazy, game that we were led to believe was worked on for years, had returning characters, had a deeper story, and an interesting villain.

On which of these areas did Forces succeed?
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast