Thread: Yakuza 2 is better

Default Yakuza 2 is better

First of all...Hi there! My name is Daniel and i'm a huge fan of Yakuza 2 in particular.
    Now that Kiwami 2 has been released in japan and now that we can see the game in action i must say that i am extremely disappointed with Kiwami 2.

In my opinion...The music is a big part of what made Yakuza 2 so memorable.

In Kiwami 2, most of the great tracks from Y2 have been either completely scrapped or replaced by something
    that sounded BLAND at best.

I've noticed that :
    - Some cutscenes are BETTER in the original Yakuza 2
    - Some environments are MORE DETAILED in the original Yakuza 2
    - The soundtrack in Kiwami 2 is mediocre at best

I don't know how much of this can be blamed on the Dragon engine. But it seems to me like this new engine hasn't done much good for the series tbh.

I've put together this comparison video to show you exactly what it is that bothers me the most.
    Thanks for your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoGMpbaCEuI

edit : i'm not gonna go as far as to call Kiwami 2 a "lazy cashgrab" but i still believe that they've been lazy AF
    Last edited by DanZan; 12-08-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Come on man. You sure you're a fan? This is why I always tell everyone who played the games to stay positive and not spread TOXIC BS around the fanbase, you're making us look bad. I just knew when TheEryk24 made a similar video that this kind of stuff is bound to happen. Misinformation and negativity spread like wildfire. Yakuza in the West only has word of mouth a marketing. Yakuza 0 only got moderate success because PR gave away free copies to everyone and their mothers. I repeat, MODERATE. It didn't appear on anywhere that the game did okay. Amazon copies going out of stock only means they messed up projected sales, and don't forget about international orders. CALM DOWN WITH THAT. It seems like the new trend is comparing MINOR details in one of those "they messed up the sequel" videos on YouTube. Ditch the cattle mentality already.

Now, since you're a fan of the original let's go through what you said in criticism of Kiwami 2.

- Some cutscenes are BETTER in the original Yakuza 2

They are objectively not. There's better resolution, graphics, finer key frame animations, better voice acting, better facial animation, more detail in movement, lip syncing, lighting, and effects. Gee it's like comparing a PS4 game to a PS2 game!

Look up the first introduction scene with Detective Kawara, you can literally see the sweat forming on his face. It's incredible dude. Maybe some look better to you personally because of nostalgia and all that, BUT you can see the effort in most scenes in the game. Majima's story is done particularly well and plays amazing.

- Some environments are MORE DETAILED in the original Yakuza 2

Are you seriously going to overlook the ENTIRE realistic recreation of Dotonbori for marble reflections in Ryuji's first boss fight? Look at the long battle before that, the whole Omi HQ plays and looks amazing! They even got rid of the goofy chandelier punching QTE. Marble reflections are different than concrete, there's still more detail in Kiwami 2. The reason why they got rid of that because it would probably affect the way the game runs.

A lot of people say they put gameplay before graphics, you're not doing the opposite, you're arguing tiny, irrelavent details that don't make or break a game. Yakuza 2's graphics weren't that great even back then dude, trust me PS2 is my era. I can make a short list off the top of my head where other PS2 games had better graphics. It don't mean jack .

- The soundtrack in Kiwami 2 is mediocre at best

Okay, you're telling the truth on this one. However, it doesn't mean you're right. I'll explain.

See, there are two angles here, studies have shown that the more you listen to a song the more you're going to like it over time. Which explains why radio and movie play is still important in the music industry. However it can work the other way around, overexposure to a certain song can actually cause annoyance to the listener. Which explains one hit wonders over the years, and the audio design philosophy behind remaking instead of just remastering the original songs from Yakuza 2.

As a musician myself I can tell you that I really hated the sampling method (DJing) that the original Yakuza 2 had. It was jarring, with some memorable tracks like a couple of Cowboy Bebop inspired Jazz-Rock theme. This time around its leaning more towards Rock, and guitar based composition this time around. The original was based on drums, bass, and droning riffs via DJ sampling that was popular back then. I really thought the soundtrack was great, the remixes are awesome and they improve on the originals. The new Majima battle theme is awesome too.

Not only that, the music is actually dynamic relative to gameplay events, and they build up hype amazingly before and after battles. Think Twin Dragons and Kuze's Theme, but now it's in almost all story battles. Trust me it's gud.

So since we're both fans of the original here's all the improvements Kiwami 2 made! .. Err, the ones that I can list off the top of my head anyway.

- Overall movement, loading times, and seamless transitions.
    - Graphical detail in genreal.
    - Remember when you couldn't find substories in Yakuza 2 and had to wander aimlessly for hours? Now they appear on the map.
    - Remember when the story STOPPED, and you had to either wait for around 15 minutes for it to continue? That's gone.
    - Remember how you didn't know where you to go to continue the main story so you had to waste possibly HOURS wandering around? That's gone.
    - Remember how you when you used to punch everywhere in all directions and miss a couple of mooks circling you? Punches track now. That's gone.
    - Remember how you had to chip away and re-do the same combo over and over to open an enemy's guard that you can't even grab? Now there are dozens of ways to get around an enemy's guard.
    - Remember when all you had to do was circle around an enemy and use the same combo on their back? More depth in combat.
    - Remember when you were stun-locked by cheap gun-using enemies? That's gone.
    - Remember when you had to chip away enemy's health bars by light attacks only so they can dodge your strong attacks? That's gone too. Unless you're a button masher.
    - Remember all the cryptic ways to unlock upgrades in Yakuza 2? That's gone.
    - Better mini-games, better heat actions, better upgrade system, better saving, better inventory management, better combat mechanics, better enemy AI, better difficulty balancing, better weapon system, better than Yakuza 6 cuz we're not ASsassin's Creed.

Okay, if you read through all that, you're welcome. I also do private seminars.

Ah yeah, one last thing. If anyone even held a fruit knife they will know that dragging a blade against hard concrete is going to ruin it, and is actually kinda stupid. Katanas in particular have to be handled with extreme care because a lot of people have lobbed off their own arms and all that. Google Katana self injury in between ya know..

There are more dynamic boss fight intros too.

Starting a conversation by calling legitimate concerns for "toxic BS", lol okay dude.
    I will give you the benefit of a doubt and assume you are just thinking about the internet in general.

Also if you have any doubts wether i am a fan of Yakuza 2 or not, i've taken this photo as evidence:
    https://i.imgur.com/0ukElDr.jpg

Both are sealed, PAL, very pricy and sought after. One UKV and one scandinavian/nordic. Also the single disc is for playing.

I'm probably not gonna adress everything you say, however...There are parts of the game that look and feel very lazy and sloopy. I don't think anyone who really likes the series should deny that. And as i said before alot of what made Y2 memorable was the great soundtrack (WHICH ISN'T THERE ANYMORE).

Not to mention those awful songs that replaced Crazy Ken Band and Eri Kawai's rendition of Silent Night, Holy Night. And while people can live without Ken's ballads (they are cheesy), the last one is like a spit in the face, ruining the magic of the finale. And the whole game is like that. Simple charm is gone, little details are gone.

edit : what it all boils down to in the end, i guess, is "if it's not broke don't fix it"
    Last edited by DanZan; 12-09-2017 at 01:57 PM.

It is toxic because if any series doesn't deserve flak it's Yakuza. I'm telling you word of mouth is all we got going for it in the West. I know some people who buy the games and give them away for free and all the whining you're doing is possibly diverting people away from it. The localization producers are two jerkoffs doing a lets play with a cosplayer while the Japanese game dishes out Kiwami 2 in three languages. So yeah.

Read what I've written before dude. They did remix some of your precious songs, which most were unmemorable and of low quality anyway. They brought in some DJ guy who slapped RZA on guitar riffs.

Let me get this straight.. I just mentioned a truckload of issues that Yakuza 2 had, HUGE issues, and your argument is the "little things make the game good".. A lot of it was broken and outdated come on. Pick up the game, play it for yourself and then we'll talk.