Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Battlefront II crashes and burns in sales.

Default Star Wars: Battlefront II crashes and burns in sales.

Well thanks to the Loot Box Backlash, Star Wars Battlefront II couldn't even make 1M last month.

NPD is reporting (via WSJ) that Star Wars Battlefront 2 sales (in the US), were only 882,000 in its debut month. This is in sharp contrast to chief Activision rival Call of Duty: WWII, which instead sold 4.4 million copies during the month using the same metric.

That means that to date, Battlefront 2 has likely only sold about 20% the copies of COD: WWII, if digital sales estimates are accurate, though COD does have a two week head start on it. Still, the figure is disappointing and EA has clearly been hit hard by the well-publicized pushback to the gameís loot boxes, which caused microtransactions to be stripped out of the game hours before launch. So in addition to lost sales, what the NPD figures are not showing is potential lost revenue from having zero post-launch monetization, while Call of Duty has been able to start selling its loot boxes with little controversy, as they donít have nearly the same impact on gameplay.

Still, analyst firm Wedbush isnít writing off Battlefront 2 just yet, saying that with the release of The Last Jedi next week and Christmas approaching, that it could make for a good holiday gift. But I think that analysis overlooks the fact that the core problems that made Battlefront 2 repel so many players have not been fixed. The game is still built around a microtransaction/loot box model that no longer exists, but still affects gameplay, and increasing crate earning rates has not fundamentally changed that system. Nor do players have any idea when and how microtransactions will return, and how that will affect the game. And more generally, itís hard to come back from being utterly savaged by fans and critics like Battlefront has been.
    You can read more at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc.../#53949d382b38

EA's push for a Pay2Win system in Battlefront II collapses as much as Alderaan did. SAD!
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

Nice! Call of Duty WINS, Star Wars loses!

To hell with Star Wars! Long live Call of Duty!
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Call of Duty. It goes nuts with Loot Boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    Call of Duty. It goes nuts with Loot Boxes.
    Both games have loot boxes, but CoD still sold several million more anyway.

I guess people prefer more realistic settings to fantasy space opera ones.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Doom>>>>>>>>>>Call of Duty.

I'm a huge SW fan and have zero interest in picking up Battlefront II... mostly because the SP campaign looks so meh. I saw a video with Kylo Ren fighting a bazillion bad guys in arcade mode... but I can already do that in Disney Infinity.

Also IMO Ghost Recon Wildlands is the best military action game this gen... the PVP mode called Ghost War is also amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    Well thanks to the Loot Box Backlash, Star Wars Battlefront II couldn't even make 1M last month.

You can read more at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc.../#53949d382b38

EA's push for a Pay2Win system in Battlefront II collapses as much as Alderaan did. SAD!
    Just goes to show you that even the vastly superior franchise in a choice of two can be brought down by sh***y handling. Thankfully, it's only this particular game and its sh***y practices by the most awful of all publishers, Japanese and Western.

Combined with CoD going back to its WWII roots as its fans have been long clamoring for, and you have a foregone conclusion. It was of course going to do better. It's a fanbase that was gratified vs. a fanbase that was horribly spurned.

It's just what happens when a license goes to the absolute worst entity it could have gone to. As you brought up very well, EA and their scumbag practices own this failure. I would not lose sleep if they ever paid the ultimate penalty, seeing as each and every one of their studios would be better off being independent and/or being owned by literally anyone else.

882,000 is bad? How much have previous Star Wars games sold in their 1st month?

Not that I'm rooting for this game's success in any way shape or form but I am frankly getting tired of reading about it on here lol. What criteria are we going by where nearly 900,000 in a couple weeks is crashing and burning?
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 12-09-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    882,000 is bad? How much have previous Star Wars games sold in their 1st month?

Not that I'm rooting for this game's success in any way shape or form but I am frankly getting tired of reading about it on here lol. What criteria are we going by where nearly 900,000 in a couple weeks is crashing and burning?
    I'm guessing 4 Million.

On a side note, I unfortunately have found something that is WAY worse than Microtransaction-primed loot boxes, and it's something that isn't even cooked up by the Video Game industry. It's called: Internet Throttling. Yes, I'm going off topic and talking about Net Neutrality again.

This Thursday, we may end up losing Net Neutrality, and it will affect gaming in a major way

1) You may end up paying more for playing games online. If you don't pay for fast lanes, you may get a major disadvantage in online games. Pay 2 Win at its worse, except not even controlled by the Triple A companies

2) This may also affect Digital Storefronts. Google Play, iTunes, PSN, XBLA, eShop, Steam, Origin, GoG.

3) We may end up taking a lot longer to get patches, DLC, updates, etc.

4) It also means Indie companies will suffer as their product will not have as much attention without the open ended view of the internet

5) Oh, and boards like this may end up closing due to a lack of traffic.

As much as I do have scorn on gaming, even I think they don't deserve this. Loot Boxes, Microtransactions, DLC, Amiibo, etc. They're all nothing compared to losing the free open range that is the internet. And if Net Neutralty does go down, well it's been nice knowing you all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast