Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 4, Call of Duty, and Star Wars Battlefront win the November NPD

Default PlayStation 4, Call of Duty, and Star Wars Battlefront win the November NPD

Overall

November 2017 US video game spending across hardware, software and accessories jumped 30 percent when compared to a year ago, to $2.7B. Gains were achieved across all categories of spending.

Software

Dollar sales of Console, Portable and PC Games Software combined to reach $1.2B in November 2017, up 19 percent versus a year ago. Year to date, consumer spending on Software is up 6 percent at $5.4B.

Call of Duty: WWII was November's best-selling game overall, and instantly becomes the best-selling video game of both 2017 (year to date) as well as the rolling 12 month period ending November 2017. Call of Duty: WWII generated more launch month consumer spending than any Call of Duty debut since the release of Call of Duty: Black Ops II in November 2012. Call of Duty is the top ranking revenue generating franchise in tracked history.

Assassin's Creed: Origins was the third best-selling game of November. Over its first two months, Assassin's Creed: Origins has generated the highest consumer spend for an Assassin's Creed franchise release since 2013's Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

November sales of Racing games tripled when compared to a year ago, making it the fifth most purchased Super Genre in the month. Shooter games (+30%) and Sport Games (+26%) also experienced strong year on year November sales growth.

Activision Blizzard generated the most consumer spending of any publisher in November 2017 and remains the top selling publisher of 2017.

Hardware

Hardware spending in November 2017 grew 52 percent when compared to year ago, to $1.1B. Spending growth was driven by Nintendo Switch, Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4.

Sony's PlayStation 4 sold the most units of any hardware platform in the month of November, while Microsoft's Xbox One drove the highest dollar sales of any hardware platform during the month.

More units of PlayStation 4 hardware sold in November 2017 than any other month life to date. PlayStation 4 is the best-selling video game hardware platform year to date.

Xbox One hardware generated its highest unit sales tally of any November month life to date.

Year to date, hardware spending has grown 28 percent versus 2016 to $3.4B. Consumer spending on Nintendo Switch, Plug N Play devices such as the SNES Classic and the PlayStation 4 continue to fuel growth.

Accessories

Total spend on Accessories and Gamecards grew 11 percent in November compared to a year ago, to $344m.

Spending on Gamepads grew over 30% in November compared to year ago. The Dualshock 4 Black PS4 controller was the best-selling video game accessory in the month.

Software Rankings

Overall

Call of Duty: WWII
    Star Wars: Battlefront II
    Assassin’s Creed: Origins
    NBA 2K18
    Madden NFL 18
    Super Mario Odyssey*
    FIFA 18
    Need for Speed: Payback
    Destiny 2**
    Pokémon: Ultra Sun*
    Pokémon: Ultra Moon*
    Middle-earth: Shadow of War
    Grand Theft Auto V
    The Sims 4
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
    Mario Kart 8*
    Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus*
    South Park: The Fractured But Whole
    WWE 2K18
    Just Dance 2018
    https://venturebeat.com/2017/12/14/n...ear-over-year/

congrats to EA, Activision, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo! but mostly EA and Activision, and PlayStation
    Last edited by Space Cat; 12-14-2017 at 06:13 PM.

PS4 on top, no Nintendo games in Top 5, Zelda and Mario Kart 8 out of Top 10, no Skyrim or Doom 2016 to be found, and no third-party Switch exclusives in the Top 20 either.

Overall a good month, I'd say.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    no Skyrim or Doom 2016
    Inb4 Wolfenstein II is canned for the switch.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "I like Waiters, they bring a lot to the table."

Lol actually, it gets worse when you see the Top 10 Switch sales for November, too:
    Quote Originally Posted by NPD
    Nintendo Switch

1. Super Mario Odyssey
    2. Mario Kart 8
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    5. Splatoon 2
    6. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
    7. Sonic Forces
    8. Doom 2016
    9. Pokken Tournament DX
    10. Just Dance 2018
    This port of Doom that had been so highly praised by Nintendo fanboys sold worse than the Switch port of Sonic Forces. Let that sink in for a moment, for real lol.

Why don't Nintendo fans put their money where mouths are? I mean, would it have helped if they'd included a Samus alternate costume a la Skyrim's BotW armor, so that they could pretend like they're playing a Nintendo game instead?

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Gotta love these threads when they give birth to conspiracy speculation and hasty conclusions that run contrary to statements straight from the actual devs or positive performance as shown on platform best-seller lists. Or the standard posturing combined with childish putdowns and fandom stereotyping. *sigh*

Anyway, congrats to everyone in this measurement of sales in the regional market of North America (and of course for Media Creates, which covers its own single regional market). When it comes to getting excellent sales, everyone's a winner.

I'm personally a little more impressed by those who don't have the shortcut of multiplatform and specifically on systems that have been out for a few years longer than others that still got high on there, but it's not a contest. Never has been to me and never will be. That's completely missing the point of having so many choices. When a plethora of people are putting out great stuff, all that matters is the fact that they're successful.

WII looks fantastic (and I'm sure more than earned its Best Action Game award at the Game Awards) and I do look forward to picking up mine next year. Thanks, Bethesda. ^___^

November was a fantastic month. I picked up many a fantastic game.
    Last edited by Twilight_Jedi; 12-14-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    Lol actually, it gets worse when you see the Top 10 Switch sales for November, too:

This port of Doom that had been so highly praised by Nintendo fanboys sold worse than the Switch port of Sonic Forces. Let that sink in for a moment, for real lol.
    Well tbf, sonic forces for the switch made up about 33% of the games total sales. (I think ps4 made up 41%, the rest xb1, Idk about steam numbers) so I guess my question is, what is the total figure for sonic forces to put this all in perspective?

Why don't Nintendo fans put their money where mouths are? I mean, would it have helped if they'd included a Samus alternate costume a la Skyrim's BotW armor, so that they could pretend like they're playing a Nintendo game instead?
    That would've been cool, but there is a part of me that believes Federation forces dashed all of that, though even they had a Samus skin for that Pile of ****.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmageZero View Post
    Well tbf, sonic forces for the switch made up about 33% of the games total sales. (I think ps4 made up 41%, the rest xb1, Idk about steam numbers) so I guess my question is, what is the total figure for sonic forces to put this all in perspective?
    I have no idea. SEGA hasn't published any official numbers AFAIK.

Still, given all of the hype that this port of Doom had going for it, I wouldn't have thought it'd be down with the likes of Just Dance 2018.

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight_Jedi View Post
    Gotta love these threads when they give birth to conspiracy speculation and hasty conclusions that run contrary to statements straight from the actual devs or positive performance as shown on platform best-seller lists. Or the standard posturing combined with childish putdowns and fandom stereotyping. *sigh*

Anyway, congrats to everyone in this measurement of sales in the regional market of North America (and of course for Media Creates, which covers its own single regional market). When it comes to getting excellent sales, everyone's a winner.

I'm personally a little more impressed by those who don't have the shortcut of multiplatform and specifically on systems that have been out for a few years longer than others that still got high on there, but it's not a contest. Never has been to me and never will be. That's completely missing the point of having so many choices. When a plethora of people are putting out great stuff, all that matters is the fact that they're successful.

WII looks fantastic (and I'm sure more than earned its Best Action Game award at the Game Awards) and I do look forward to picking up mine next year. Thanks, Bethesda. ^___^

November was a fantastic month. I picked up many a fantastic game.
    Well hopefully that is the case where they go with releasing the game anyway, Afterall if the wii U can get a delayed version of watchdogs that nobody bought or cared for.

Though I'm willing to chuck that up to the fact that doom 2016 mainly appeals to double dippers, as I really can't imagine people wanting to wait or settle for the switch version unless they REALLY wanted to play it on the go.

Now, granted it's still pretty good looking and playable on the go, but console wise...yeah not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight_Jedi View Post
    Speaking of which, I thought this was interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by NPD
    The best-selling games of 2017 so far

1. Call of Duty: WWII
    2. Destiny 2**
    3. NBA 2K18
    4. Madden NFL 18
    5. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
    6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
    7. Grand Theft Auto V
    8. For Honor
    9. Injustice 2
    10. Horizon Zero Dawn

The best-selling games over the last 12 months

1. Call of Duty: WWII
    2. Destiny 2**
    3. NBA 2K18
    4. Madden NFL 18
    5. Grand Theft Auto V
    6. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
    7. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
    8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
    9. NBA 2K17
    10. Final Fantasy XV
    Call of Duty: World War II is the highest selling game of the last 12 months, which includes last December in 2016.

Guess when even jaded modern FPS players like Gggmanlives are praising CoD's campaign and trash talking Wolfenstein's, it's not a surprise that the former game would be so much more highly successful.

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Meanwhile, the only exclusives charting for November are for Nintendo systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertette View Post
    Slow down there Charles Dickens, no one signed up for this forum to read a novel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast