Thread: Arcades to Consoles

Default Arcades to Consoles

Sega consoles in the past were based off of their Arcade machines. Example : Dreamcast was a console version of the Naomi. Sega is still making arcade cabinets and I think it would be cool if they made console versions of these machines. Would that be easier to make then a whole new console? They already have the hardware and games made for it, they just need to fit it into a console shell. What do you guys think?

Modern arcade machines are based on PC's. Sony and MS have that covered. You could get a PC too.

Sega also isn't exactly flooding the market with arcade games like they used too.

Right. I suppose it would be more work to make their own architecture like they did with Naomi 2. Consoles typically have hardware specific peripherals that are better implemented with their games. Like the VMU on the Dreamcast. I'd like to see Sega make something different with their own hardware.

I wonder if these kinds of machines can be replicated on x86 or ARM processors, since they are cheaper to mass produce(Especially ARM)
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlitz View Post
    Right. I suppose it would be more work to make their own architecture like they did with Naomi 2. Consoles typically have hardware specific peripherals that are better implemented with their games. Like the VMU on the Dreamcast. I'd like to see Sega make something different with their own hardware.
    They didn't exactly make their own architecture ever. NAOMI 1 & 2, Saturn & 32X used Hitachi chips that were made to control things like CD-Rom drives or ECU units in Automobiles. Master System and Genesis/Mega Drive used CPU's that were popular in home computers at the time. Other companies did the same with their chips (Nintendo, NEC/Hudson, etc.)

So choosing to use "off the shelf" chips like Intel Celerons, Core II Duo's or i3, i5 etc. isn't exactly straying from what they did in the past.... I don't see what the difference is between choosing an Intel CPU over something Hitachi, or Motorola offer.

And I'd say consoles very rare have console specific peripherals that are designed just for the system. For every VMU or Wiimote you have a bunch of consoles that basically just have a bunch of buttons as inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    I wonder if these kinds of machines can be replicated on x86 or ARM processors, since they are cheaper to mass produce(Especially ARM)
    Replicated how? You can easily emulate old arcade hardware for the most part. Much of the arcade hardware from all sorts of companies over the last decade or so have used Intel x86 chips (celerons, Core Duos, i3 etc.). Taito makes one of the most popular ones these days and it's Intel x86. I'm pretty sure I've read stories about people getting their PC's to essentially act like one of their Type- X Arcade boards in order to run certain games.

Namco was kind of the only exception using hardware based on Sony's consoles.

So it wouldn't be that hard for them to make a console based off of their arcade machines then. If everything is just off the shelf. I'm not looking at what most companies do with their consoles. I'm specifically focusing on what Sega has done and what they could do again with new game specific peripherals.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlitz View Post
    So it wouldn't be that hard for them to make a console based off of their arcade machines then. If everything is just off the shelf. I'm not looking at what most companies do with their consoles. I'm specifically focusing on what Sega has done and what they could do again with new game specific peripherals.
    So you want them to release a system that has a handful of games but also needs things like a Gun attachment, Steering wheel and basically a beatmania pad?

Have you seen Sega's post Naomi 2 arcade offerings? From Chihiro (based on the original Xbox actually) on?

There isn't really a whole lot and not much of it is really anything to write home about.
    Last edited by rf switch; 12-24-2017 at 02:59 PM.

I said NEW game peripherals. Everything you just listed we've already seen before. Don't ask me what that new peripheral is because I don't know. If you were to ask me what Sega's new game tech would be before the VMU was a thing, I wouldn't be able to foresee it beforehand and the VMU would still get made. Sega is creative with their hardware is what I'm getting at. Games like Shining Force Cross and Border Break union were cool Sega Arcade games. They're still making quality content.