Thread: Sega's brand new (and extremely subtle) gaming platform

Default Sega's brand new (and extremely subtle) gaming platform

I'm not sure if anybody else has thought of/realized this, but for those of you hoping Sega actually puts out a new gaming platform of some kind-- they actually already have, and it's been staring at us in the face for a while now!

SEGA FOREVER! Yes, that's right.

The reason why I feel like that is a new platform for them is because of a few different things:

1. It's a brand that consists of a specific library of games, so from a technical standpoint it sort of IS a platform.
    2. They marketed and teased it in a fashion that was very reminiscent of their old console commercials.
    3. They're always improving the core emulator and expanding the library.
    4. More recently, they announced a partnership with RetroBit to produce Bluetooth/USB-compatible versions of their classic controller peripherals. Those will obviously be tailored to play Sega Forever games, so right there you have the controller attachments for said platform (not to mention, brand new officially-licensed Sega hardware! YAY!).

Even though Sega Forever isn't necessarily a hardware platform, it still has a lot of the same fundamentals OF a gaming platform in general. I don't know if Sega realizes this or not (they probably do), but they're literally sitting on a gold mine with Sega Forever. If they execute the marketing right and put enough resources into it, it could maybe even eventually go head-to-head with Steam!

To me, Sega Forever is actually a very appropriate successor to the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast tried to focus a lot on online gaming, and Sega Forever itself is a cloud-based platform. The concept behind Sega Forever is also arguably just as innovative as the Dreamcast. If you remember a while back, they were talking about releasing Sega Forever on multiple platforms if it was successful enough. So this could potentially be the first unified gaming ecosystem that spans across all devices: smart phones, PC's, tablets, and even all 3 consoles that are competing AGAINST each other!

Anyway, that's my two cents. Let me know if you thought of this before, or what you think about my perspective here. Am I totally bonkers to think this way? XD
    Last edited by Lodmot347; 12-21-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Maybe, but I would have to agree, but why not come out with a median for those who just want to use sega forever.Seems like a good idea, could get better performance, they could still have it on everything else but also have the limited supply of the median.
    seems as if on everything else it would be an app/launcher where as it could be a fully feature OS.

Quote Originally Posted by segaplayer View Post
    Maybe, but I would have to agree, but why not come out with a median for those who just want to use sega forever.Seems like a good idea, could get better performance, they could still have it on everything else but also have the limited supply of the median.
    seems as if on everything else it would be an app/launcher where as it could be a fully feature OS.
    I love that idea, and it would be great if Sega actually did that in partnership with Retro-Bit for the really die-hard Sega fans that actually want a new console from them. Like you said, it would most likely be a very limited supply run of the system if they ever decided to do that.

I'm actually in the process of building my own sort of "modern" Sega console out of small PC parts to kind of scratch that specific itch for new Sega hardware. It will be loaded with mostly Sega releases, and it will also use the Retro-Bit controllers too when they come out. Maybe later I'll show it on the forums here. o w o