View Poll Results: Should the Freedom Fighters be brought back?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 60.00%
  • No

    4 40.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Should IDW and SEGA bring the Freedom Fighters back?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Clocktopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Knothole
    Posts
    618

    Default

    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

  2. #22
    Senior Member SMS Skull Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Drinking sake with Segata Sanshiro
    Posts
    31,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jorgekorke View Post
    Characters from a cancelled TV show, or characters from the longest-running game-related comic series?
    You say it as if they had THAT much demand, which to be honest, they didn't. The fact that they were kept around in the post-reboot ONLY because of the writter's insistance should tell that the SatAM characters don't have, and will never have the same demand as the game cast. You know, the characters that the vast majority of fans want to see. A new comic based on the Sonic franchise simply has no place for the FF's because of how the game cast already covers most (if not all) of the most basic roles that you need with the already existing cast of characters that can offer tons of stories with the benefit of not having the comic tied down to one sole story like in the past with the "Acorn Kingdom vs Eggman's Empire" which turned the game cast from individuals with their own goals and adventures into some kind of guerrilla or a assembly of heroes. The removal of the FF's would effectively free the game cast in order to offer more variety with the stories.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If SMS is considered evil then I don't want to be nice.

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havon Bob Topal View Post
    Flynn flanderized Amy making her love for Sonic far to rare in the story with her looking more like a background fighter and not a standalone character like in Sonic Heroes or Sonic Chronicles with me not seeing how she is more importance in the comics then the games as in that she can be herself and still be importance to the story.

    I don't see what makes fighting the Iron King more important then her loving Sonic how does Iron King make her not "hammer-crazy" and the fighter arc had very little respect for her.

    I have a feeling that Sega got more involved with the comics and Flynn had to make comic Amy like games Amy but American writers have a hard time showing Amy being in love Sonic.
    Flanderizing is not quite "making a part of a character too rare", it's exaggerating a trait in the character to the point of it being the alpha and the omega of a character. Flanderizing is way more making Amy just about "being in love with Sonic" (or worse, "being the creepy fangirl" we see in some Amy-hating fanfics). And tbh, I'm not sure that SEGA care as much as you seems to think about how is Games-Amy, with how were written Sonic Lost World and Sonic Forces in that regard. If SEGA cared about that in the comic, they would have cared in the games. So I'm not sure that it's a theory that works.

    Amy being in love with Sonic was a part of her character, but in Adventure, we see *way more of her*, as she is a capable ch aracter that have her own story arc, and that act because of her compassion. Sonic Adventure 2 have still that, even if she was downplayed a bit. And that's what Flynn got right for me : Amy was more than being in love with Sonic. She was a competent fighter (and her use of hammer wasn't just played for laugh, and that was *really great*, that why I talked about the Iron King), she was the girl with a big heart that helped a small flicky in many moments (especially when she talked with Knuckles, but also when with Tails she helped Sonic to get better before the formation of Team Fighter). And I liked the addition of a bit of a cocky side.

    Fun point : Flynn made me like SonAmy. At first I didn't quite like it, but the flirt moments and some other between her and Sonic in the second continuity made me like the ship xD

    But to develop more about the Iron King Arc : She wasn't show as "hammer-crazy", but as a competent fighter. For the Fighter Arc, yup, she had a "silly moment" during her battle with Knuckles, but most character had one. For me, having a "silly moment" for a character is less disrespectful that some of her moments from Battle or 2006, for instance. And I agree that Chronicles got her really right, I honestly forgot that game. About Sonic Heroes, I'm a bit more conflicted, especially as she seemed to me not as much as fully on helping Cream and Big as the "Adventure Amy" would have been.

    I agree that the FF should have been less used and Amy should get a better spotlight, though, that's the point of my argument about using the FF as side-character.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMS Skull Leader View Post
    You say it as if they had THAT much demand, which to be honest, they didn't. The fact that they were kept around in the post-reboot ONLY because of the writter's insistance should tell that the SatAM characters don't have, and will never have the same demand as the game cast. You know, the characters that the vast majority of fans want to see. A new comic based on the Sonic franchise simply has no place for the FF's because of how the game cast already covers most (if not all) of the most basic roles that you need with the already existing cast of characters that can offer tons of stories with the benefit of not having the comic tied down to one sole story like in the past with the "Acorn Kingdom vs Eggman's Empire" which turned the game cast from individuals with their own goals and adventures into some kind of guerrilla or a assembly of heroes. The removal of the FF's would effectively free the game cast in order to offer more variety with the stories.
    Meh.

    TBH, IDW have a big demand of them, looking at social network and stuff, and it's bigger than the "they shouldn't be here" demand (most of people don't really care about that, though :'D). And the second continuity actually lost reader to the first one (that had a pretty solid readership), so the fanbase of the comic-book is a base to be reckon with, especially with how much time ArchieSonic got to live. And tbh, I'm not sure that there are so much game fans that are that much allergic to their very existences. Of course there are more fans of the games, though. But the fanbase of those character might be enough to be interesting, especially with how much they are dedicated. I'm not sure that so many game fan would just buy it because they aren't some character, tbh.

    About most of the cast covering most of the basic role ? Not that much. Sally is a strategist and have some unique personnality (more interesting imo in the second continuity, with her stress issues), Bunny cover some specific theme, Antoine have some kind of character that isn't common in the series… And I won't even talk about Nicole. Rotor is the character that is covered by game character. A character is more than a "basic role", it's something bigger, a collection of theme, concepts, ideas, personnality, etc. And they give something that is unique.

    Most of the problem of having the comic tied to only one story came of making Sonic and the game cast a part of the FF. They should have stopped that with the reboot, with Sonic fighting on his own against Eggman, and the FF doing the same with their own mean. Removing the FF is just one way of changing the stories, there are tons of other way of doing the same. And it make the comic having actually more variety, with a group that can make another kind of stories than with the Chaotix, or than with the Bean-Bark-Fang trio (that might still be there in IDW), etc. There is a place for them. As there is a place for every lost character from the games, from some obscure character from other continuity that could be dig up, or even reusing Madonna.

    It's just a matter of having ideas
    Last edited by Kazhnuz; 01-04-2018 at 06:58 PM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Havon Bob Topal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Twilight Park / Pleasure Castle.
    Posts
    4,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazhnuz View Post
    Flanderizing is not quite "making a part of a character too rare", it's exaggerating a trait in the character to the point of it being the alpha and the omega of a character. Flanderizing is way more making Amy just about "being in love with Sonic" (or worse, "being the creepy fangirl" we see in some Amy-hating fanfics). And tbh, I'm not sure that SEGA care as much as you seems to think about how is Games-Amy, with how were written Sonic Lost World and Sonic Forces in that regard. If SEGA cared about that in the comic, they would have cared in the games. So I'm not sure that it's a theory that works.

    Amy being in love with Sonic was a part of her character, but in Adventure, we see *way more of her*, as she is a capable ch aracter that have her own story arc, and that act because of her compassion. Sonic Adventure 2 have still that, even if she was downplayed a bit. And that's what Flynn got right for me : Amy was more than being in love with Sonic. She was a competent fighter (and her use of hammer wasn't just played for laugh, and that was *really great*, that why I talked about the Iron King), she was the girl with a big heart that helped a small flicky in many moments (especially when she talked with Knuckles, but also when with Tails she helped Sonic to get better before the formation of Team Fighter). And I liked the addition of a bit of a cocky side.

    Fun point : Flynn made me like SonAmy. At first I didn't quite like it, but the flirt moments and some other between her and Sonic in the second continuity made me like the ship xD

    But to develop more about the Iron King Arc : She wasn't show as "hammer-crazy", but as a competent fighter. For the Fighter Arc, yup, she had a "silly moment" during her battle with Knuckles, but most character had one. For me, having a "silly moment" for a character is less disrespectful that some of her moments from Battle or 2006, for instance. And I agree that Chronicles got her really right, I honestly forgot that game. About Sonic Heroes, I'm a bit more conflicted, especially as she seemed to me not as much as fully on helping Cream and Big as the "Adventure Amy" would have been.

    I agree that the FF should have been less used and Amy should get a better spotlight, though, that's the point of my argument about using the FF as side-character.

    Amy love for Sonic wasn't exaggerated or flanderizing as it will change base of the circumstances she is in something I believe Sonic Heroes did right Sega does care about Amy being in love with Sonic but she's not getting much screen time in recent games but in those small amount of screen time she is in she is in love with Sonic something I think Ian Flynn hates but in games where she gets screen time like Heroes, Battle, and Sonic Free Riders she really loves Sonic.


    I can't see how Adventure's Amy isn't the same as Heroes Amy and so on she's a competent fighter its not hard to see but with Ian Flynn that is all he can see in her a "girl fighter" and nothing more don't see how she gets a big heart from Flynn's writing.


    And the Fighter Arc tried its best to show how she isn't a competent fighter it didn't even show her fight silly moments are funny that wasn't more like Flynn flanderizing.
    Last edited by Havon Bob Topal; 01-04-2018 at 07:49 PM.

    Peach / Girl Bomber: Tackle with a hip attack, but try not to miss.
    Twilight Sparkle: Sorry, I've been a little skiddley-boppy-boo
    S.Frost: The problem with Sonic is you have to build a lot of content. When speed is your number one thing

  5. #25
    Senior Member jorgekorke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    3,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMS Skull Leader View Post
    You say it as if they had THAT much demand, which to be honest, they didn't. The fact that they were kept around in the post-reboot ONLY because of the writter's insistance should tell that the SatAM characters don't have, and will never have the same demand as the game cast. You know, the characters that the vast majority of fans want to see. A new comic based on the Sonic franchise simply has no place for the FF's because of how the game cast already covers most (if not all) of the most basic roles that you need with the already existing cast of characters that can offer tons of stories with the benefit of not having the comic tied down to one sole story like in the past with the "Acorn Kingdom vs Eggman's Empire" which turned the game cast from individuals with their own goals and adventures into some kind of guerrilla or a assembly of heroes. The removal of the FF's would effectively free the game cast in order to offer more variety with the stories.


    I don't even care about their removal anymore, but I'll play devil's advocate for fun.

    If the quantity of fans attached to these characters were so insignificant, they wouldn't care to apply the PR strategy I mentioned before.

    And more importantly, you should be aware that just because some characters are dead now it doesn't mean that it will cure Flynn's syndrome of shoving characters into stupid teams just because he has some kind of Sonic Heroes fetish.

    Someday he could learn that the characters are not mere mechanical tools, though.
    Someday.

    Last edited by jorgekorke; 01-05-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    Your actions speak so loudly that I cannot hear what you're saying.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havon Bob Topal View Post
    Amy love for Sonic wasn't exaggerated or flanderizing as it will change base of the circumstances she is in something I believe Sonic Heroes did right Sega does care about Amy being in love with Sonic but she's not getting much screen time in recent games but in those small amount of screen time she is in she is in love with Sonic something I think Ian Flynn hates but in games where she gets screen time like Heroes, Battle, and Sonic Free Riders she really loves Sonic.

    I can't see how Adventure's Amy isn't the same as Heroes Amy and so on she's a competent fighter its not hard to see but with Ian Flynn that is all he can see in her a "girl fighter" and nothing more don't see how she gets a big heart from Flynn's writing.

    And the Fighter Arc tried its best to show how she isn't a competent fighter it didn't even show her fight silly moments are funny that wasn't more like Flynn flanderizing.
    About Heroes my memories failed me : in the first cutscene she is helpfull toward Cream and Big (even if in the rest of the game, she is kinda just about marrying Sonic, though), my mistake. But for other games like 2006 (where her "I prefer Sonic to the world" speech was pretty bad, especially as they could just have make her 100% faithful to the idea of Sonic not being the one who will destroy the world, and maybe that could have been what make Silver doubt), and Battle with pretty so-so, with some great scene but with other things that where kinda… strange (the boxercising, that cliché wasn't needed, and how she dragged an obviously unwilling Cream into it was kinda… IDK, it irked me a lot, and that was sad as I loved Sonic Battle, and I found the "it's our baby" moment really funny and adorable at the same time). I don't remember that much Free Riders except that Shadow was reduced to a bully and some other stuffs.

    For me, several scene sell me how much Adventure Amy is respected in Flynn's writing : her will to help Blaze even after they battled in Treasure Team Tango (even if it's a scenario by Tracy Yardley, they work together and share mostly the same vision) and her talk with Shadow after that, her scene with Tails after Antoine's coma, how she helped Knuckles to get better. All those moment helped develop the character. And about her loving Sonic, I felt many moment where they flirt, where they taunt each-other while still really liking each-other, more sincere than the "marry Sonic" meme. It's just my vision, but I felt more like on these moment that the SonAmy could work, because there where something between them (and even on Sonic's side, something that infuriated some SonAlly fans).

    If an arc make some joke when the rest of the comics show how she is competent, it's not really "trying to show that she isn't competent". Many character got a beatdown during this arc, and it was more for fun. Most characters got that kind of joke in the comic at one point or another, for instance with how Nicole was abandoned during Treasure Team Tango.

    So yeah, I still think that she was treated with much respect in the comic, since the arrival of Flynn. It wasn't perfect of course (I've got my problems with Flynn writing, for instance I feel that he should use way less the "Team" format and play more with unusual combinations of characters…), but I feel that game character got their share of glory (except the Babylon Rogues), and that they would just need a bit more focus to be perfect (and that's why I'm all for making legacy character a bit on the sideline, while keeping it in order to create a better variety of arcs)… and it would even become nearly perfect if IDW had some kind of Sonic Universe-like arcs, as having arc without Sonic is great too.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Havon Bob Topal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Twilight Park / Pleasure Castle.
    Posts
    4,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazhnuz View Post
    About Heroes my memories failed me : in the first cutscene she is helpfull toward Cream and Big (even if in the rest of the game, she is kinda just about marrying Sonic, though), my mistake. But for other games like 2006 (where her "I prefer Sonic to the world" speech was pretty bad, especially as they could just have make her 100% faithful to the idea of Sonic not being the one who will destroy the world, and maybe that could have been what make Silver doubt), and Battle with pretty so-so, with some great scene but with other things that where kinda… strange (the boxercising, that cliché wasn't needed, and how she dragged an obviously unwilling Cream into it was kinda… IDK, it irked me a lot, and that was sad as I loved Sonic Battle, and I found the "it's our baby" moment really funny and adorable at the same time). I don't remember that much Free Riders except that Shadow was reduced to a bully and some other stuffs.

    For me, several scene sell me how much Adventure Amy is respected in Flynn's writing : her will to help Blaze even after they battled in Treasure Team Tango (even if it's a scenario by Tracy Yardley, they work together and share mostly the same vision) and her talk with Shadow after that, her scene with Tails after Antoine's coma, how she helped Knuckles to get better. All those moment helped develop the character. And about her loving Sonic, I felt many moment where they flirt, where they taunt each-other while still really liking each-other, more sincere than the "marry Sonic" meme. It's just my vision, but I felt more like on these moment that the SonAmy could work, because there where something between them (and even on Sonic's side, something that infuriated some SonAlly fans).

    If an arc make some joke when the rest of the comics show how she is competent, it's not really "trying to show that she isn't competent". Many character got a beatdown during this arc, and it was more for fun. Most characters got that kind of joke in the comic at one point or another, for instance with how Nicole was abandoned during Treasure Team Tango.

    So yeah, I still think that she was treated with much respect in the comic, since the arrival of Flynn. It wasn't perfect of course (I've got my problems with Flynn writing, for instance I feel that he should use way less the "Team" format and play more with unusual combinations of characters…), but I feel that game character got their share of glory (except the Babylon Rogues), and that they would just need a bit more focus to be perfect (and that's why I'm all for making legacy character a bit on the sideline, while keeping it in order to create a better variety of arcs)… and it would even become nearly perfect if IDW had some kind of Sonic Universe-like arcs, as having arc without Sonic is great too.
    If a arc from before can say she's competent but then not show it when she can use it then I don't see why people have such a hard time seeing that Amy from Adventure to Heroes is the same caring Amy. Her "I prefer Sonic to the world" is out of her love for Sonic and world as Sonic will save it she is 100% faithful that Sonic won't be the one who will destroy the world that's why she choose Sonic over the world.

    Peach / Girl Bomber: Tackle with a hip attack, but try not to miss.
    Twilight Sparkle: Sorry, I've been a little skiddley-boppy-boo
    S.Frost: The problem with Sonic is you have to build a lot of content. When speed is your number one thing

  8. #28
    Senior Member Clocktopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Knothole
    Posts
    618

    Default

    Well, this is a good sign.

    https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Hedgeho...ords=idw+sonic

    The evil genius Dr. Eggman has been foiled--but the work of Sonic the Hedgehog isn't over yet! In the aftermath of the latest epic battle, rogue robots continue to attack small villages around the world. In order to succeed, Sonic will need the help of his friends Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, along with some new and surprising allies. This new collection from acclaimed writer Ian Flynn features the blue blur like you've never seen him before. Gotta go fast!
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clocktopus View Post
    So Dr. Eggman's robots have gone out of control and only Sonic, his friends and their new allies can stop them. I wonder who these new allies can be?

  10. #30
    Senior Member DaddlerTheDalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NRW, Germany
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Well. I would like to see the FF in the IDW comics in some capacity or another.
    "You're watching a Poster!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •