View Poll Results: Should the Freedom Fighters be brought back?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 60.00%
  • No

4 40.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should IDW and SEGA bring the Freedom Fighters back?

Question Should IDW and SEGA bring the Freedom Fighters back?

So, with the IDW comics coming soon in April, people have been thinking about the Freedom Fighters, and if they should and will return or not. The obvious answer to most people would be yes, but hear me out. Don't you think they've exhausted everything they could out of them? 24 years worth of comics, with the same characters. And yes, several franchises have been going on for many years but that's because they came up with new ideas. Archie has, too. But, they've used up those ideas. The only ones I can think they would come up with now is really cheap ones, like "SALLY HAS A LONG LOST BROTHER?!?!?!". Actually, they've probably already done that. We need new characters, the Freedom Fighters have long since gone stale. They were only ever invented to fill in roles that didn't exist in the series at the time.

Of course, that's just my opinion. Bringing them back could actually be a good idea, it would bring in Archie fans that weren't interested in the IDW comics, and even draw new ones in. There's always new ways they could develop the characters, so people wouldn't get disinterested.

First flesh the game cast, give them a fair amount of spotlight and make them have adventures in which they can do things without depending on Sonic to win. Once this is done then we can discuss the possibility of creating new characters for the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If SMS is considered evil then I don't want to be nice.

Why don't they return some of old characters instead , I want Tikal to come back .
    -Great games are made with love and passion .
    -Clever writer would make any character he has great . Great writer would make all characters he has great .

The argument doesn't make any sense. The X-Men have been around since the 60s and Marvel gets plenty of content. Batman and Superman have been around since the 30s and they still have material. The FFs weren't invented to fill niches, it's the Five Man Band trope. Sonic is the hero, Antoinne is the lancer, Bunny is the muscle, Rotor was the mechanical part of the "brain" role, Sally was other half and the leader as well as filling a minor role as the "heart", and Tails was the 6th ranger. There were also plenty of other characters that could have been explored further like Nicole, who was a much more recent addition.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

Actually it does. The FF's were indeed filling for roles that "supposedly" did not exist, despite by 1994 the franchise already having main support characters like Tails (whose role in SatAM was undermined to give it to the chipmunk), Amy and Knuckles.

I always thought that investing so much on characters from a cancelled TV show was alwas a mistake and a waste, since they literally had no future in the franchise, Sega clearly had no interest in any of them and the only reason they were kept around for so long, including on the post-reboot, is the preference from a bunch of writers that refused to let go and worse, crapped on the game cast to make these as well as some of their original creations look "better" than the game cast, which for all of their made up excuses ("hyuck hyuck, we can't do anything with them cuz Sega won't allow to develop these characters", which is funny dince they messed around and added thing to the MAIN character Sonic himself that did not make sense or contradicted who he is) ARE the characters that the vast majority of people want to see.

Really hope that IDW does make a fresh start, leaving behind all of the dead weight characters that were holding back the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If SMS is considered evil then I don't want to be nice.

In Japan, Tails was a mechanical genius...for some reason. Look at his design. He's a little kid who follows Sonic around, and flies. Where does his mechanical aptitude come from? What part of his design shows this?

In the U.S. he was just a kid. That's it. When he was shown in Sonic 2, he was shown flying by himself and in his plane, which made at least some sense because he himself can fly. Seriously, why is he smarter than the villain?
    Last edited by Clocktopus; 01-01-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

It makes sense to me. His tails spin around like a propeller, which is used in machines. Hense, mechanic. Well, I don't really like how SEGA makes him a super genius nowadays, so if that's what you're talking about then I agree.

I think that yes, they should, but not as they were before in the two first continuities.

I feel that they can still bring something that add to the world of the games as they have personalities, motives, visions, ideals that aren't those of the game character (for instance, using the Acorn Kingdom to create a backstory to the classic archipelago was a great idea, especially with the addition to the Acorn-GUN tensions or the second civilization : it made the whole world more organic and helped fleshing out a part of the Sonic universe that needed it). They also helped fleshing out some of the game character : Bunnie made Tails motivation for being a mechanist more interesting in the second continuity (+ it was one of the cutest Tails flashback that I've seen), Amy and Sally friendship helped a lot the developpement of Amy in those continuities (especially in the Mecha Sally arc, with moments like the events in the Feral Village), etc. I think that the stories possible with them are hardly exhausted, especially with a brand new status quo that will exist in the new IDWSonic world. So, they have still something to bring. Not to add that they have a dedicated fanbase, and that pleasing them too might be a good thing too, as them too are potential buyers, so… All of that make that keeping them around in one way still make a lot of sense.

But I feel that they shouldn't be as much as before the main focus. They should be treated like other legacy character : as a group that exist in Sonic world, and Sonic interact with them sometimes. Why ? Like for instance the Chaotix, they would have their own motive and dynamics, and their story could evolve a lot by not being always with Sonic. (and tbh I feel that the Chaotix should be more often used that the FF). First because even if they are great, the comic should use first what's relevant to the franchise, and use for special occasion legacy character. Secondly because having a 10+ cast in the second ArchieSonic continuity was already a bit too much with a complete world to rebuild, so with a new comic that won't have Sonic Universe for other character, such a cast would be really too much. But as a small group that exist in Sonic's world, it would make their appearances more meaningful (as they would be less frequent) and more pleasing (as they wouldn't be used as often as before, when they appear it would be more interesting).

And they shouldn't be used in the first arc too, that should be focused on showing us what will be the new comic-book. They could be name-dropped at one point (it would make their fan happy, without taking too much storytime), or even make some cameo (a bit like the Sally and Bunnie pictures in Rouge room in the Forces comics), but what need the first comics is to focus, in order to give us a good taste of what will be IDW Sonic.

Long story short, they are good character, with still a lot of potential, and having them around would be a great thing, but they shouldn't be the main focus of this comic-book.
    Last edited by Kazhnuz; 01-02-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Adding a last argument.

No, because Flynn is writing again, and alone.
    Your actions speak so loudly that I cannot hear what you're saying.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I hope not they just get in the way of other characters like Amy from getting any screen time.

Peach / Girl Bomber: Tackle with a hip attack, but try not to miss.
    Twilight Sparkle: Sorry, I've been a little skiddley-boppy-boo
    Amy Rose: Ha! Dexter is just a guy I imagined. I wanted to make you jealous I don't need him now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast