Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Docked, Portable, Pro, Joy Con: How Do You Play?

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    The potential for third-party games that don't sell? =P
    Like Wolfenstein the New Colossus on the PS4/XBone/PC. Oh wait.
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

That game deserved to underperform tbh.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

To be fair Doom is a $60 game that's available for $20 on the other systems that came out over a year ago. I just hope Bethesda doesn't use that as a barometer for future Switch support. Skyrim seems to be selling well (amazingly) on Switch and it too is M-rated, so that will hopefully counter-balance the Doom sales.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-01-2018 at 11:57 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    A lot of games run sub-720p in portable mode too, with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being one of the real standouts, operating in standard definition more often than not.
    I honestly have to say its one of the 2 games we own and on a technical level its one of the ugliest games i've played in years. My wife who's not a gamer by any means and the very definition of a casual thinks the graphics are terrible. It looks like complete trash on my 65" tv and the awful textures and low resolution are so apparent.
    That level of accomplishment when you've finally made it to someones ignore list! Priceless total victory!

Yeah Xenoblade 2 I thought looked bad since its first debut. There are far better-looking Switch games out there, including the one that launched with the system.

Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)

It's my JRPG of 2017 personally. No disrespect to Persona 5 (which I do think was a legitimate GotY contender, and all of the nominees were), but I'm just having a blast with Xenoblade 2. (Xenoblade is shaping up to be my favorite games in the Xeno franchise, no disrespect to classics like Xenosaga or Xenogears)

Looking at recent comments, though, I have no objections talking about the awesome games of last year (and there's quite a bit I'm looking forward to this year already), but this is still a thread for talking about our preferred way of playing on the system, right? :P

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    It's strange, I had the exact opposite reaction; the game looks gorgeous on the TV and loses a good bit of its visual luster portably, which is statistically true as it drops down in resolution and loses some key graphical details.

Anyway when I get mine it will undoubtedly be mostly used docked, but I look forward to taking it on the go somewhat regularly as well.
    Didn't take you to be in the 'both' camp, SL. Nothing wrong, but I didn't quite get that impression from past conversations.

Yeah, though, I do play docked mostly, but you wouldn't believe how many games translate beautifully for portable play (not just the obvious ones like stuff like BMZ and Mighty Gunvolt Burst, which I play both on my TV and on the go). I've said it already, but I treasure the flexibility itself moreso than the two styles individually.

And as for the port conversation, Bethesda only had positive comments about its reception. That's a better sign than not.

I enjoyed using my buddy's on the go back a couple months ago when I first got to fully experience the system, so indeed while it won't be my preferred method of play, I can see myself making use of it periodically.

Part of me would regret so much though getting to a brand new, beautiful area of Mario Odyssey but knowing that I'm not experiencing it to the full visual capacity that it could be if I were on the go with it. I feel like I would instantly want to shut the game down and rush back home with it and plug it in the dock, so that type of experience probably wouldn't be a good fit for me on the go, but something like LA Noire, where it's a single world, I think would be fun to play out and about.

In a house that's in a city that's in a state that's in a country that's in a continent somewheres.

I'd say that the ratio from portable to docked for me personally is about 70-30 percent in portable's favor.

I don't have a pro controller at the moment, I've been doing just fine with the joycons. From where I stand, it's pretty much an expensive, unnecessary luxury.

Doom 2016 is one case where I feel it looks better portable than docked. It looks crisp and visible enough in portable mode, but when I play it on the TV it kinda looks like an internet video that's been compressed to heck and blown up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123