Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: It's 2018. Can we just pretend Sonic Forces was never made?

Quote Originally Posted by the 120cxx View Post
    Knuckles has punches while moving before. That's the thing. It's like everyone forgot his moves in sa2 & advance 2 all of a sudden. Those games specifically use a move that allowed him to keep running fast while using his fists.
    Why even bring such poor examples as his SA2 moveset? Nobody is forgetting those games, but they are worth remembering for reasons of not repeating their mistakes, not to design a game like those.

Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    So, having to come to a complete halt, press a button combination and then do nothing for several seconds is good and engaging gameplay? Well, I'm glad you're not in charge of making Sonic games.
    In SA2 you can do a short hop and immediately drill into the ground even at speed.
    Finished Forces stage 22 Death Egg - Death Egg in 1'23"35

And that being said, forces is one of the most disappointing games I've ever seen, everything it offers was done better in older games. You can't convince me otherwise, it honestly feels like a regression in gaming.
    I do think the graphics look better than in previous titles. It all flows nicely in 60fps* as well, unlike in Unleashed.

*provided you aren't playing on Switch
    Finished Forces stage 22 Death Egg - Death Egg in 1'23"35

Quote Originally Posted by SunMerc View Post
    In SA2 you can do a short hop and immediately drill into the ground even at speed.
    Yes, I know that, that's what I was referring to when I said you needed to do a button combination (jump and action button in this case).

No, we should acknowledge its existence, so we can learn from it and not make the same mistakes in the future.
    proud business owner

Quote Originally Posted by bruh View Post
    No, we should acknowledge its existence, so we can learn from it and not make the same mistakes in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Official statement from Sega Games Co., Ltd.
    You do not know de way
    I dunno, man, I don't think SEGA agrees

Spiral Attack and Spinning Back Punch can work for Knuckles. He doesn't lose momentum when using those attacks. They should get rid of Dig, unless they can use it to help you get through the stage. By helping you go through walls or the ground to find other paths to the goal.

Tails can use his Cyclone move from Sonic Battle or Tornado Attack from S Advance 3 instead of using Tail Swipe.
    Last edited by swift92; 01-13-2018 at 05:56 AM.
    ]

Spiral Attack: Performed by pressing B while in Boost Mode. Knuckles spirals forward with his fists while keeping speed. This is similar to the move Knuckles performs in Sonic Adventure 2 when he punches while running.

Check it, straight from Sonic retro.
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120131190711

Here's a picture. This melee attack does the same thing in adventure 2 when at top speed.

This is a thing that existed for 17 years now. How can nobody remember, especially with how much sa2 comes up around here?
    I know about this, I avoided mentioning it because people would think I'm obsessed with Advance 2, but it's actually a game full of little innovations that are worth looking into.

I like that move, but as it is, it's still a bit limited.
    It should be expanded a bit, like, different animation and duration depending on your speed, and some more interaction with the environment... as it is, it's mainly a time frame limited boost or roll, it needs a little bit of additional creativity in order to open more ways to experiment with the physics of the game... I don't know what... but it's a good starting point, the best one IMO than every other punch moves Knuckles ever done.

About the other Advance 2 move, the vertical punch, I don't like that move (along with Sonic's bounce, that despite being based on the bubble shield, managed to be a step backward due to blocking your horizontal movements while performing the move... though it's kinda useful during bossfight to fastly return back and dodge some attack... very situational and not worth keeping that way).
    The point is that, it's (vertically) fast, yes, but you lose all of your horizontal momentum by performing it.
    It's EXACTLY the same problem as the Stomp in modern Sonic games, it's the same move, and I dislike it for the exact same reason.
    Last edited by Iko; 01-13-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordhouse View Post
    You just faced 'em.
    Wanted characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Blaze, Cream, Big, Fang, Chao, Animals, Eggman.
    Favorite Sonic games: Sonic 3&K - Sonic 1 sms - Sonic Advance 2 - Tails' Skypatrol

the Grand Universal Space Station, Helix Nebula

Quote Originally Posted by Iko View Post
    I know about this, I avoided mentioning it because people would think I'm obsessed with Advance 2, but it's actually a game full of little innovations that are worth looking into.

I like that move, but as it is, it's still a bit limited.
    It should be expanded a bit, like, different animation and duration depending on your speed, and some more interaction with the environment... as it is, it's mainly a time frame limited boost or roll, it needs a little bit of additional creativity in order to open more ways to experiment with the physics of the game... I don't know what... but it's a good starting point, the best one IMO than every other punch moves Knuckles ever done.

About the other Advance 2 move, the vertical punch, I don't like that move (along with Sonic's bounce, that despite being based on the bubble shield, managed to be a step backward due to blocking your horizontal movements while performing the move... though it's kinda useful during bossfight to fastly return back and dodge some attack... very situational and not worth keeping that way).
    The point is that, it's (vertically) fast, yes, but you lose all of your horizontal momentum by performing it.
    It's EXACTLY the same problem as the Stomp in modern Sonic games, it's the same move, and I dislike it for the exact same reason.
    You know it's funny, sometimes you can get good ideas for innovation to gameplay in a older game regardless of the quality of the game it originated from. Alot of people can lean from that. Especially SOME people here if you catch my drift game.

As for your feelings toward air cancel moves (drill claw, bounce) while true they were nerfed in the advance games compared to sa2, I still think the moves can be viable as long as they're tweaked to work right instead of making unnecessary changes to it like they did the homing attack in lost world. Perhaps bringing back the horizontal movement they had in adventure 2 would be a start for improvement? Well, provided they have sonic use bounce jumps again. And make knuckles playable again. Among other things.

@Swift 92
    They should expand on his digging ability.
    So far he's only used digging in the two adventure games & nothing else, and yet they've shown clear examples on how to do more with it. Be it from the drill wisp, when you race him in generations, or sonic boom in general oddly enough. Could be done to find hidden routes & shortcuts underground, items, character exclusive areas where others can't follow (while simply breaking down walls would be special routes where others can follow), gives way to more underground based enemies & bosses without needing to add wisps to the equation, can attack enemies from below, and gives a special edge in racing modes to compete with Sonic's more speed based abilities. It also accentuates the differences between the two without having to change up the gameplay too much. He's a treasure hunting powerhouse, it makes sense that his skills involve more punching & exploring stuff.
    Really there's just the matter of making sure it's not too overpowered, a limiter of some kind, like sonic's boost meter perhaps.
    Last edited by the 120cxx; 01-13-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Might update.
    PSN: The_120cxx
    deviantART

There should be more games like it make it so that people can play as Amy and the other characters in the main story.

Peach / Girl Bomber: Tackle with a hip attack, but try not to miss.
    Unikitty: Oh, he's stuck to my butt thank you!
    Amy Rose: Ha! Dexter is just a guy I imagined. I wanted to make you jealous I don't need him now!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast