Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Color me unimpressed. Worst of both worlds.

Default Color me unimpressed. Worst of both worlds.

So as an owner of the Wii u a system considered trash by most people i was expecting the switch to be a huge step up and in the right direction. What I'm getting is a lot of lackluster experiences.

The first thing i notice hen comparing to the Wii u is that the interface for the switch is only in 720p and then upscaled to 1080. It looks jaggy and grainy by comparison. I've noticed that almost every single game on the Wii u aims for and hits native 1080. The switch sucks docked. Tons of games are running at 720p or sub 720. Truly looks god awful on any tv over 32".

As a portable you run into the same thing. Xenoblade 2 is . I can't believe theyd release a game running and looking so awful. You can tell that its not even running 480p a lot of times. Has next to no anti alaskng and has junk textures.

It's failing me as a portable gaming machine as most vita games look better on the vita screen. I hate this lack of focus on screen clarity is ridiculous.
    That level of accomplishment when you've finally made it to someones ignore list! Priceless total victory!

Told ya.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

You own a XB1 though. You should be accustomed to 720p and lower by now.

Edit: After a more thorough read, your claim that most Wii U titles targeted 1080p is completely false lol. That's in addition to the nonsense you typed suggesting Vita games looked better on its screen.

I OWNED a Vita (OLED model) and I can tell you that you're talking out of your *** here. There isn't a contest between the panels and your only named example is Xenoblade 2.

Try again.
    Last edited by Arcanine; 01-04-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertette View Post
    Slow down there Charles Dickens, no one signed up for this forum to read a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post

Edit: After a more thorough read, your claim that most Wii U titles targeted 1080p is completely false lol. That's in addition to the nonsense you typed suggesting Vita games looked better on its screen.

I OWNED a Vita (OLED model) and I can tell you that you're talking out of your *** here. There isn't a contest between the panels and your only named example is Xenoblade 2.

Try again.
    Super Mario Oddssey runs at 720p vs all the mario titles on the wii u running at 1080p. The point I made about hte menus is also very valid. I've only played 2 switch games right now. Theres not much worth buying if you already had a wii u and I am expressing my opinion. The smaller oled screen looks better than the larger screen on the switch. Games like killzone, uncharted and ys8 are very noticable examples of games that really stand out above and beyond anything i've seen on the switch.

I just dont get why games arent targeting a clear presentation. No one is playing games on 720p these days and not having an aim for 1080p docked on all titles is a real mistake as far as clarity.

Also theres nothing on xbox one that looks as bad as the switch. The switch not only has the lower resolution, it has lower texture quality, filtering, lighting and frame rate.
    That level of accomplishment when you've finally made it to someones ignore list! Priceless total victory!

Try again.
    Well, look at it this way. It's an opinion piece and it doesn't really pretend to be anything more than that (it's at least not being 'in-your-face' about it). I don't (and objectively speaking, can't) agree with probably even a single sentence of it, but still...

For me, though, it's the only one that does everything right in terms of machines currently on market. It more than deserves it rather huge success for its first year, even being the fastest-selling home console in U.S. video game history.

The games I have are all fun to play and even great to look at. I don't put the visuals first because gaming's not a beauty pageant, but I can still appreciate when something looks amazing, beautiful, or whatever...but I do care more about a game being fun to play and all of the games I own physically and digitally are very fun to play.

I've noticed that almost every single game on the Wii u aims for and hits native 1080. The switch sucks docked. Tons of games are running at 720p or sub 720. Truly looks god awful on any tv over 32".
    Erm.....huh? I can't think of a single Wii U title that aimed for 1080p, let alone hit it. (I'd imagine a couple exist but dang dude it was an incredibly uncommon thing.) Many ran at 30FPS too.

Switch so far has more 900p/1080p and 60FPS games already seemingly than Wii U ever has.

Nintendo couldn't even get their 2D Mario sidescroller running above 720p on the Wii U. Not sure where you're getting the idea that Mario games on Wii U ran in 1080p, literally not a single one did.

Odyssey runs at 900p (generally) while docked.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-04-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Super Mario Oddssey runs at 720p vs all the mario titles on the wii u running at 1080p.
    False, Super Mario Odyssey utilizes dynamic resolution and spends much of its time north of 800p. Portable mode drops below 720p, but aside from the 3DS titles, there's no point of reference to compare those to.

Games like killzone, uncharted and ys8 are very noticable examples of games that really stand out above and beyond anything i've seen on the switch.
    They really don't though. Closest game to compare Killzone 2 on Switch would be Doom 2016 and well, that's not a contest.

As for Uncharted, well lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight_Jedi View Post
    Well, look at it this way. It's an opinion piece and it doesn't really pretend to be anything more than that (it's at least not being 'in-your-face' about it).
    It is not opinion to say "most Wii U games targeted 1080p"; it's false.

As far as "screen clarity" is concerned, that is false as well. Not only in the difference between resolution for the two panels, but even as far as games in native-resolution are concerned. Few Switch games even dip below 600p, which is still higher than the Vita's 544p display (many major releases like Uncharted Golden Abyss weren't even native-res).

Even on the technical side, the Vita-1000 uses an OLED display. So while you get to enjoy deeper blacks on that display, that's about where it stops in terms of advantages. Not to mention, the nasty burn in they'll be doomed to be getting in the long run. Older OLED panels are especially prone to this.

But of course, this thread is from the guy who thinks (thought?) Persona 5 was graphically a better looking game than BOTW.

Erm.....huh? I can't think of a single Wii U title that aimed for 1080p, let alone hit it. (I'd imagine a couple exist but dang dude it was an incredibly uncommon thing.) Many ran at 30FPS too.
    Super Smash Bros Wii U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Rayman Legends and Wind Waker HD were 1080p on Wii U. That's it.
    Last edited by Arcanine; 01-04-2018 at 05:56 PM. Reason: quote error
    Slow down there Charles Dickens, no one signed up for this forum to read a novel.

[COLOR=#333333]False, Super Mario Odyssey utilizes dynamic resolution and spends much of its time north of 800p.
    Wow! 800p!

That's a full 80 more p than 720! Impressive!
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Super Smash Bros Wii U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Rayman Legends and Wind Waker HD were 1080p on Wii U. That's it.
    Yup, sounds about right.

It's why so many of us never understood why some on here were so dead set on claiming that the Wii U was a next gen-capable machine; the list linked to by Twilight Jedi (not sure why he edited it out lol) is just sad.

For those curious;

Nintendo exclusive Wii U retail games:

Animal Crossing - Amiibo Festival: 720p & 60 FPS

Bayonetta: 720p & 60 FPS (some struggles)

Bayonetta 2: 720p & 60 FPS (some struggles)

Captain Toad - Treasure Tracker: 720p & 60 FPS (same engine as SM3DW)

Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze: 720p & 60 FPS (loading screen stuttering)

Game & Wario: 720p & 60 FPS

Hyrule Warriors (single-player): 720p & 30 FPS (struggles)

Hyrule Warriors (co-op): 480p & 30 FPS during co-op (struggles)

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush: 720p & 60 FPS (framerate in character animations low because the developers wanted to achieve a proper "claymation feel". Could be 1080p as I didn't find a source, but I doubt it).

LEGO City - Undercover: 720p & 30 FPS (some struggling reported)

Mario Kart 8 (1-2 players): 720p & 60 FPS (no anti-aliasing)

Mario Kart 8 (3-4 players): 720p & effective 30 FPS (basically 60 FPS, but the refresh is divided between bottom and upper screen...meaning 30 FPS in practise. No anti-aliasing with some dips once in a blue moon)

Mario Party 10: 720p & 60 FPS

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games: 720p & 60 FPS

Mario Tennis - Ultra Smash: 720p & 60 FPS

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 1080p(?) & 60 FPS (major struggles, averages at ~38 FPS).

New Super Mario Bros. U: 720p & 60 FPS

New Super Luigi U: 720p & 60 FPS

Nintendo Land: 720p & 60 FPS

Pikmin 3: 720p & 30 FPS

Sonic Boom - Rise of Lyric: 720p & 30 FPS (major struggles)

Sonic Lost World: 720p & 60 FPS

Splatoon: 720p & 60 FPS (no anti-aliasing)

Super Mario 3D World: 720p & 60 FPS

Super Mario Maker: 720p & 60 FPS (dips when a lot of stuff happening on the screen)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 1080p & 60 FPS

The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD: - 1080p & 30 FPS (minor struggles: framerate only dips when bombs are exploding. Also, all the slowdowns have been reported to be present in the Gamecube version as well. So it's more of an issue of WWHD being built on a modified GC engine rather than "Wii U can't handle this")

The Wonderful 101: 720p & 60 FPS (some struggles)

Wii Fit U: 720p & 60 FPS

Wii Party U: 720p & 60 FPS

Wii Sports Club: 720p & 60 FPS

Xenoblade Chronicles X: 720p & 30 FPS

Yoshi's Woolly World: 720p & 60 FPS

ZombiU: 720p & 30 FPS
    This was supposed to compete with the PS4/XBO lol.

Wow! 800p!

That's a full 80 more p than 720! Impressive!
    Lol I remember reading 900p personally, but regardless the sheer size and level of detail and interaction in Odyssey's worlds and visuals totally dwarfs anything seen or attempted in the Wii U Mario games.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-04-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Odyssey is dynamic resolution. It could hit up to 900p, but the lows in docked mode are about 800p.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast