Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Color me unimpressed. Worst of both worlds.

I heard Xenoblade 2 is an extreme example out of the Nintendo games. Not sure what happened there, isn't the Switch supposed to be stronger than Wii U in portable mode even? X was a very impressive looking game running on weaker hardware than Switch.

I haven't been bothered with the way games look on Switch, I'm mostly in portable mode. I also don't have a huge TV, if this is important to mention.

Vita games that are exclusive look nice. But you can tell it cannot keep up with multiplatform with PS4. Even if Switch has resolution issues Vita has more downgrades in overall graphics lately. It is more evident with the latest Atelier game if you want a comparison about that.

Switch has two modes for developers to shoot for and maybe it is just because it is launch year I remember a lot of platforms I own the early games are so inconsistent when it came to graphics and port quality. I suspect it won't change for more demanding games but Switch no doubt get more exclusives with mid-budgets where there's more reasonable goals in performance.

Xenoblade was probably just rushed, besides the obvious big resolution drop in portable mode, the performance is definitely the worst of any major first party Switch release.

Not sure why they released it this year, I don't think the library was starving for it so soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertette View Post
    Slow down there Charles Dickens, no one signed up for this forum to read a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    Yup, sounds about right.

It's why so many of us never understood why some on here were so dead set on claiming that the Wii U was a next gen-capable machine; the list linked to by Twilight Jedi (not sure why he edited it out lol) is just sad.

For those curious;

This was supposed to compete with the PS4/XBO lol.

Lol I remember reading 900p personally, but regardless the sheer size and level of detail and interaction in Odyssey's worlds and visuals totally dwarfs anything seen or attempted in the Wii U Mario games.

Where'd you get the impression that Wii U was "supposed to compete with PS4/XBO? It was released before both of those systems, and Nintendo's whole marketing-thing has been to do their own thing. I think they stopped trying to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft after the Gamecube didn't do so well.

Also you're a Mario Odyssey fanboy... Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
    You own a XB1 though. You should be accustomed to 720p and lower by now.
    Yeah pretty much this. With the exclusion of the 4k models, most ps4 and xb1 games are usually around 900p, so I'm not sure why there is going to be an expectation of a system with portability in mind, that's only 1/5 to 1/4 of the power of those two, is going to output just as high or higher.

For what it is, the switch is fairly impressive. Now granted, I'm not going to make excuses for some of games and how they run, especially those that range from bad to HORRENDOUS, and it could range from bad ports, poor optimization, games being rushed or weaker hardware.

Though, I am surprised that xbc2 performs that bad, usually a first party game from nintendo would never go out the way it did rush job or not. Still looks (content wise) like a great game that I intend to pick up the day I buy the console anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobthebob View Post
    Where'd you get the impression that Wii U was "supposed to compete with PS4/XBO? It was released before both of those systems, and Nintendo's whole marketing-thing has been to do their own thing. I think they stopped trying to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft after the Gamecube didn't do so well.
    It only came out one year prior. Are we then to suggest that the 360 wasn't going to compete with the likes of the wii and ps3 because it too was released just a year earlier?

Besides, the wii is highly regarded to have won the 7th gen console war, was it not directly competing then either?

The sad fate of the wii U is just that it had too much going against it than for it. Mostly being about as powerful as consoles that came out 7 years prior, having a name that both confused and alienated a lot of consumers, poor engine support, and just revolving around a dead concept, as most people by 2012 were done with things like wii motes, the kinect and the psmove.

Though despite this, the wii U had a spectacular year in 2014 when for the most part it had killer apps like mk8, sm4sh, bayonetta 2, DK tropical freeze and both xb1 and ps4 were dealing with "enhanced" ports of older games, to then disappointing released of games like AC Unity and Elder scrolls Online (you know, back when Ubisoft and Bethesda were both "bad" developers, and it was a "good" thing they didn't support the wii U, but who remembers that, am I right?).

Nintendo unfortunately, couldn't follow that up. 2015 and 2016 had a few good titles here and there, but they were scarce and by mid 2016 we were already talking the nx (now switch) confirming the failed status of the system.

Let's not confuse things here, nintendo is (and always has been) competing for it's share of the video game marketplace in some form or fashion.

Just because the wii U didn't compete well against the other consoles doesn't mean it didn't compete at all.
    Last edited by BlackmageZero; 01-04-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "I like Waiters, they bring a lot to the table."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmageZero View Post

It only came out one year prior. Are we then to suggest that the 360 wasn't going to compete with the likes of the wii and ps3 because it too was released just a year earlier?

Besides, the wii is highly regarded to have won the 7th gen console war, was it not directly competing then either?

The sad fate of the wii U is just that it had too much going against it than for it. Mostly being about as powerful as consoles that came out 7 years prior, having a name that both confused and alienated a lot of consumers, poor engine support, and just revolving around a dead concept, as most people by 2012 were done with things like wii motes, the kinect and the psmove.

Though despite this, the wii U had a spectacular year in 2014 when for the most part it had killer apps like mk8, sm4sh, bayonetta 2, DK tropical freeze and both xb1 and ps4 were dealing with "enhanced" ports of older games, to then disappointing released of games like AC Unity and Elder scrolls Online (you know, back when Ubisoft and Bethesda were both "bad" developers, and it was a "good" thing they didn't support the wii U, but who remembers that, am I right?).

Nintendo unfortunately, couldn't follow that up. 2015 and 2016 had a few good titles here and there, but they were scarce and by mid 2016 we were already talking the nx (now switch) confirming the failed status of the system.

Let's not confuse things here, nintendo is (and always has been) competing for it's share of the video game marketplace in some form or fashion.

Just because the wii U didn't compete well against the other consoles doesn't mean it didn't compete at all.
    “You always have good things and bad, and this reflects the history of Nintendo. If you do the same thing as others, it will wear you out. Nintendo is not good at competing so we always have to challenge [the status quo] by making something new, rather than competing in an existing market.” -Satoru Iwata

It may be that Wii and Wii U were competing, but they certainly weren't aiming for the same set of gamers that consoles are currently netting. Are smartphones and consoles directly competing? I'd say not, but I can see someone making a compelling argument for why they might be competing in some way. Is PC competing with PS4 or XBO, or even Switch? I don't know, but in my perspective, absolutely not. What do you think? Was Wii competing even though it was obviously aiming for a different demographic/audience than other consoles?

There's no such thing as not competing; all systems are competing. A customer has a choice in which console to buy, so regardless of how different one may be, they are all competing. Wii U was meant to serve in the same generation as the PS4/XBO, and as a result was to compete both for games and for customers with those systems, something it proved woefully unable to do.

It may be that Wii and Wii U were competing, but they certainly weren't aiming for the same set of gamers that consoles are currently netting.
    What set of gamers was the Wii U aiming for? And how is it different from the gamers that the Xbox 360 or the Kinect was aiming for?

Also you're a Mario Odyssey fanboy... Just saying.
    And lol I'm really not a fanboy of it at all, I've only played it once. But yeah, it's a frigging gorgeous game, that's something I can wholeheartedly defend. Regardless, the game is certainly not in 720p, as the TC said it was.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-04-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    There's no such thing as not competing; all systems are competing. A customer has a choice in which console to buy, so regardless of how different one may be, they are all competing. Wii U was meant to serve in the same generation as the PS4/XBO, and as a result was to compete both for games and for customers with those systems, something it proved woefully unable to do.

What set of gamers was the Wii U aiming for? And how is it different from the gamers that the Xbox 360 or the Kinect was aiming for?

And lol I'm really not a fanboy of it at all, I've only played it once. But yeah, it's a frigging gorgeous game, that's something I can wholeheartedly defend. Regardless, the game is certainly not in 720p, as the TC said it was.
    The Wii U was aiming for a set of gamers that largely doesn't exist, which is one reason it didn't sell. Wii wasn't competing with xbox360 or PS3, which is why so many people bought a PS3/xb360 AND a Wii. It was like the smartphone of game devices for 2006.

Also calling a game you've played once "friggin gorgeous" and saying you can "wholeheartedly defend" that, and defending its virtues at every turn is being called a fanboy. It's okay, you can admit when you have a problem, we're all friends here. Just say "Hello, my name is SL and I'm a Mario Odyssey fanboy."

Hello SL!

its a pretty gorgeous game and i havent played it since i beat the main game

Queen of the SEGA Forum
    YouTube|Tumblr|WebM Script

Quote Originally Posted by Cyron Tanryoku View Post
    its a pretty gorgeous game and i havent played it since i beat the main game
    It's aight. I'm not just referring to SL talking about the beauty of it, but basically every post I've ever seen of his referring to Odyssey is defending it in some way, either graphically or gameplay-wise. It's a pattern, and it's probable that it's indicative of what doctors have termed "fanboyism." The first symptom of fanboyism is a direct denial of having the disorder, which inevitably leads to a defense against accusations to the contrary. The first step toward recovery and a more happy and full life is acceptance, to say, "I have a problem." It sounds simple, but it's actually quite a complex process that takes a lot of emotional intelligence and self examination.

For instance, it took me a couple of years to finally admit to myself that I am a Wii U fanboy. It still pains me to type that sentence out loud, as though I have something to be ashamed of, but I know now that shame only leads to more denial. I have to remind myself that everyone is a fanboy of something, and that acceptance is the most important step toward recovery.

Hello, my name is Hobthebob, and I am a Wii U fanboy.

Wii wasn't competing with xbox360 or PS3, which is why so many people bought a PS3/xb360 AND a Wii. It was like the smartphone of game devices for 2006
    Lol dude again it doesn't matter how different they are. Even if someone owns both systems, if they choose to buy a Wii game, that's money not being spent on a 360 game; hence, MS's need to compete to keep people playing on their system. That's how it works. Consoles released in the same generation are competing with each other, there's no such thing as anything else.

I can assure you that MS did not spend millions upon millions on R&D of the Kinect and grace it with one of their biggest marketing budgets of all time to go against a system they "aren't competing with."

Also calling a game you've played once "friggin gorgeous" and saying you can "wholeheartedly defend" that, and defending its virtues at every turn is being called a fanboy. It's okay, you can admit when you have a problem, we're all friends here. Just say "Hello, my name is SL and I'm a Mario Odyssey fanboy."
    Um, lol...since you appear to be The Expert on this, how many times is someone required to play a game before being able to say that its graphics look nice? Does someone's eyesight change the second time they try a game? I played the first 4 hours or so of the game so I mean unless the graphics rapidly deteriorate beyond that point I think I'm safe.

I also don't remember defending its virtues at every turn, lol....I mean, I remember stating that its environments are much larger than those of the Wii U Mario games, but that's just simply stating a fact; they are. Odyssey aimed for more exploratory gameplay vs its predecessors' more linear approach.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-05-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast