Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Color me unimpressed. Worst of both worlds.

Mario Odyssey is a decent looking game, but how good it looks is highly variable depending on the stage.

The typical cutesy stages are what you'd expect from Mario with a little extra visual flair, but then you have stages like New Donk City with Sonic '06-esque human models in drab clothing and hilariously bad draw distances (it's fun to watch people vanish and get replaced with 2D cutouts when you walk away from them).

At the very least, you can't accuse SMO for lacking in visual variety; it's just that it does some styles way better than others.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

but then you have stages like New Donk City with Sonic '06-esque human models in drab clothing
    I'm sorry the NPCs didn't appeal to your fashion sense lol.

In all honesty though I'm pretty sure they were designed as a contrast to the other more cartoony non-humans you encounter in the other worlds.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-05-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    I'm sorry the NPCs didn't appeal to your fashion sense lol.
    Sorry isn't good enough, dear boy. =P

But yeah, I wouldn't really call SMO gorgeous, at least not without "for a Switch game" attached, at which point it becomes more like a backhanded compliment of sorts. It's still a far cry from AAA standards.

On the bright side, at least it runs (mostly) 60fps, so surely that's all that matters to a certain someone in this thread, right? =P
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

I think it runs entirely at 60FPS but yeah lol.

I dunno, I think it's easily competitive with any of this type of game on the other systems personally, but that's just me

Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    But yeah, I wouldn't really call SMO gorgeous, at least not without "for a Switch game" attached, at which point it becomes more like a backhanded compliment of sorts. It's still a far cry from AAA standards.
    What AAA games do you consider gorgeous?

I just wanted to say I am wrong about resolutions as pointed out however my point still remains why does the visual clarity of wii u games look vastly better than switch games. I'll invite anyone over to prove it. I'm not trying to wile up the fanboys even though that is happening. It just looks like junk on a modern premium tv.
    That level of accomplishment when you've finally made it to someones ignore list! Priceless total victory!

Quote Originally Posted by Clesarie View Post
    I just wanted to say I am wrong about resolutions as pointed out however my point still remains why does the visual clarity of wii u games look vastly better than switch games. I'll invite anyone over to prove it. I'm not trying to wile up the fanboys even though that is happening. It just looks like junk on a modern premium tv.
    I dunno man I wish I had an explanation. I don't own a Switch yet but when I saw my friend's on a giant 50 in+ screen it looked awesome, so I'm not sure.

I dunno man I wish I had an explanation. I don't own a Switch yet but when I saw my friend's on a giant 50 in+ screen it looked awesome, so I'm not sure.
    I mean my tv retailed for $4000 and 720p xbox stuff looks great, wii u looks great, ps4 looks great and even 360 looks great. Is it just the 2 games I have are really bad outliers? I mean the jaggies of Odyssey drive me insane.
    That level of accomplishment when you've finally made it to someones ignore list! Priceless total victory!

Lol dude again it doesn't matter how different they are. Even if someone owns both systems, if they choose to buy a Wii game, that's money not being spent on a 360 game; hence, MS's need to compete to keep people playing on their system. That's how it works. Consoles released in the same generation are competing with each other, there's no such thing as anything else.

I can assure you that MS did not spend millions upon millions on R&D of the Kinect and grace it with one of their biggest marketing budgets of all time to go against a system they "aren't competing with."

Um, lol...since you appear to be The Expert on this, how many times is someone required to play a game before being able to say that its graphics look nice? Does someone's eyesight change the second time they try a game? I played the first 4 hours or so of the game so I mean unless the graphics rapidly deteriorate beyond that point I think I'm safe.

I also don't remember defending its virtues at every turn, lol....I mean, I remember stating that its environments are much larger than those of the Wii U Mario games, but that's just simply stating a fact; they are. Odyssey aimed for more exploratory gameplay vs its predecessors' more linear approach.
    Lol, I am the Expert on this.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and a Master's degree in Mental Health Counseling. I can tell when someone's in denial.

Lol, I am the Expert on this.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and a Master's degree in Mental Health Counseling. I can tell when someone's in denial.

I assume that someone with a Masters Degree in mental health counseling would know not to attempt to diagnose someone over the internet based on a forum post, but anyway lol. I hope you'll forgive me for being a bit skeptical of that one.

What am I in denial about, again, exactly? You lost me lol.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-05-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast