Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's official; Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling console in US history.

In a house that's in a city that's in a state that's in a country that's in a continent somewheres.

Default It's official; Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling console in US history.

Nintendo Switch had an amazing 2017 - racking up some impressive sales figures over in Japan in the process - and it's continuing that positive trend this year, too. It's already overtaken PlayStation 2's Japanese year one sales, and now Nintendo has revealed the little hybrid hardware that could has become the fastest selling console in the United States... ever!

With 4.8 million units sold that's one amazing achievement for Switch before its first year has even come to a close. The title was previously held by Wii, with its mightily impressive 4 million units sold.

Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO, said:

Fans across the country have experienced the joy of playing their favorite games at home or on the go. Now that many more people have received Nintendo Switch systems for the holidays, we look forward to bringing them fun new surprises in 2018 and beyond.
    So Switch is starting 2018 with some big milestones, and we can't wait to see what the next few months bring. Are you a Switch owner based in North America? What games sold you on the system?
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...ion_units_sold
    Last edited by CHAnga; 01-04-2018 at 01:52 PM.

IMO, there's not a single platform currently on market that is more deserving of the first-year success the Switch has managed to achieve. Being the fastest-selling console in U.S. gaming history (even surpassing the Wii at the same point in its life) is quite the bonus for what they've managed to achieve in sales with still two months to go before the system's first year concludes.

I think it's the one current platform I know that did pretty much everything right. Its flexibility in its playstyle and control styles and just giving you the choice of what you want in both of those major areas puts it above the others to me in a huge way, regardless of their power advantage (which was never a personal factor in my times as a gamer and still isn't now).

Nintendo Switch deserves the success it's currently enjoying and which I feel it has a good chance of continuing with a steady momentum as we go into 2018. 2017 was amazing for the system (though to be fair, 2017 was amazing for gaming across the board, period) and there's quite a bit that I already want that's coming out this year...and that's considering there are still announcements to come.
    Last edited by Twilight_Jedi; 01-04-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Imagine when mainline Pokemon drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertette View Post
    Slow down there Charles Dickens, no one signed up for this forum to read a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
    Do you really think Pokemon will sell more units than Mario Odyssey + BotW + Splatoon 2 combined?

I mean at this point I honestly can't guess, lol.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
    At the very least, I imagine that would be another significant booster for sales. We're talking about Pokemon, after all. Still, fastest-selling console in U.S. video game history at this point in its lifespan (a couple of months before the conclusion of its first year) is quite good.

I just hope to see the sales success continue, and I'm pretty optimistic about that.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    Do you really think Pokemon will sell more units than Mario Odyssey + BotW + Splatoon 2 combined?

What is that, 5-6 million when combined at the moment? Not impossible for the series.

in the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post

Yes.....yes it would
    Last edited by rocker spike; 01-04-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    Have an Opinion? Write it down. I'll use it to wipe my .

Maybe Switch will have a decent 2018 living off of 2017's momentum, and then really kill it in 2019 with Metroid, Pokemon (which may come out in 2019), F-Zero (one can hope), etc.? I see Switch continuing to sell pretty good through 2018 until people start to get anxious for that next big killer app.

We already mainline FE is a 2018 release, so that's a start. Fully expect to see it in the next direct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertette View Post
    Slow down there Charles Dickens, no one signed up for this forum to read a novel.

In a house that's in a city that's in a state that's in a country that's in a continent somewheres.

What I find remarkable is that the Wii got into this ballpark by appealing to a large, previously untapped pool of non-gamers. Switch isn't really relying on that, it's a more traditional gaming device, and yet it still ending up eclipsing the Wii's sales within the same time frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast