Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does Sonic wears a backpack in SatAM

Question Why does Sonic wears a backpack in SatAM

When I first saw Sonic SatAM as a kid, the only thing that confused me is Sonic wearing a backpack in almost every episode.

Why is that?

Why does anyone wear a backpack? To carry things? Very often he will have a ring in it, but he also holds equipment for whatever job he's on or to carry things back.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

He didn't have in SatAM the power of hiding things in his spine like in Adventure 2. It need years of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by vgiannell5 View Post
    When I first saw Sonic SatAM as a kid, the only thing that confused me is Sonic wearing a backpack in almost every episode.

Why is that?
    He was carrying like a power ring or something in there.

Because SatAM did everything in its power to make Sonic as NOT-Sonic as possible.... :P

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DuEmpMwLL4S_r5
    Click above to see Minkgirl's Top 100 Sonic Moments!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toni the Mink View Post
    Because SatAM did everything in its power to make Sonic as NOT-Sonic as possible.... :P

With the exception of Sonic X which was basically the same, SatAM was the best characterization of Sonic to date. Snarky? Check. Runs fast? Check. Egotistical? Check. Thinks on his feet instead of planning ahead? Check. Still likable and not a complete @#$* to his friends/teammates? Check.

Compared to...oh I dunno...Sonic Boom. Where he's kind of a lazy jerk who doesn't really want to do anything. He rags on his friends but is never shown being friendly towards them. He ends up being rather unlikable and not particularly heroic.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktopus View Post

With the exception of Sonic X which was basically the same, SatAM was the best characterization of Sonic to date. Snarky? Check. Runs fast? Check. Egotistical? Check. Thinks on his feet instead of planning ahead? Check. Still likable and not a complete @#$* to his friends/teammates? Check.

Compared to...oh I dunno...Sonic Boom. Where he's kind of a lazy jerk who doesn't really want to do anything. He rags on his friends but is never shown being friendly towards them. He ends up being rather unlikable and not particularly heroic.

In that aspect, Sonic Boom and SatAM are alike.

Sonic X tried to make a model-Sonic cartoon, even if the end results completely flanderized the characters (which unfortunately carried over to the games as well....)

AoStH had Sonic's attitude down, but also showed a more positive caring side who truly wants to do what's right and protect his friends (most notably Tails), though points off for the heavy preference in the cross dressing....

The OVA seems to be the only Sonic animation that got Sonic completely correct. Jerk but with a heart of gold.

SatAM had Sonic as an obnoxious jock who although wanted to free the world from Robotnik, appeared 90% of the time in it for the thrill and to boost his ego when he came out as the big hero. And when he wasn't, he was overly dependent on a certain squirrel princess, who was basically the REAL star of the show....

Boom's the same way, but with a different approach (the way you described it....). Amy and Tails got a better deal when it came to characterization there.

I heavily disagree with the whole "best characterization of Sonic" to date. Sonic had a little emotion from time to time (I think the one and only time he appeared "human" was when he boo-hoo'd over leaving Uncle Chuck behind) but he was basically an obnoxious jock who bullied those less capable than him (Antoine), and had an annoying ego that basically blocked out any room for any sort of logical thinking. I'd go so far as to say AoStH did a better job with his character than SatAM did, because while he had an ego and a dated-attitude, he was also as quick a thinker as he was on his feet.

Don't get me started on Sonic Underground though......

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DuEmpMwLL4S_r5
    Click above to see Minkgirl's Top 100 Sonic Moments!!!

In that aspect, Sonic Boom and SatAM are alike.

Sonic X tried to make a model-Sonic cartoon, even if the end results completely flanderized the characters (which unfortunately carried over to the games as well....)
    sure, but it didn't really start there. I think you can go back as far as Heroes for that. Even SA in some cases.

AoStH had Sonic's attitude down, but also showed a more positive caring side who truly wants to do what's right and protect his friends (most notably Tails), though points off for the heavy preference in the cross dressing....
    Really can't agree there. That one was zany and nonsensical. He was more like the Road Runner and Bugs Bunny rolled into one character.
    The OVA seems to be the only Sonic animation that got Sonic completely correct. Jerk but with a heart of gold.
    He's barely characterized in it and the parts we get are lame. Tails does his trick and Sonic can't care less, he screams at him when he gets splashed, and when Robotnik has the president (CRINGE) held hostage, Sonic wants nothing to do with any of it. Then, there's just the terrible way he interacts with Metal Sonic and the bizarre way he's almost upset about it being destroyed.

SatAM had Sonic as an obnoxious jock who although wanted to free the world from Robotnik, appeared 90% of the time in it for the thrill and to boost his ego when he came out as the big hero. And when he wasn't, he was overly dependent on a certain squirrel princess, who was basically the REAL star of the show....
    Now hold on...Sally was his counterpart. Their conflicting personalities was sort of the point. She was as much a foil to him as an aid. When he would &^@% something up, she would have to find a way to help. When she would @#$! something up, he would have to bail her out. It was sort of 60/40 Sonic to Sally.

Boom's the same way, but with a different approach (the way you described it....). Amy and Tails got a better deal when it came to characterization there.
    Tails's character is really the only improvement from Boom. I still think he's very dumb when the plot calls for it. As for Amy, eh. Her character traits are admittedly slightly expanded, but mostly just added "girly" to her sort of one-note design. Improvement is still improvement, I guess. Honestly, this isn't Boom's strong suit, and that's why I picked it as a counter-example.

I heavily disagree with the whole "best characterization of Sonic" to date. Sonic had a little emotion from time to time (I think the one and only time he appeared "human" was when he boo-hoo'd over leaving Uncle Chuck behind) but he was basically an obnoxious jock who bullied those less capable than him (Antoine), and had an annoying ego that basically blocked out any room for any sort of logical thinking. I'd go so far as to say AoStH did a better job with his character than SatAM did, because while he had an ego and a dated-attitude, he was also as quick a thinker as he was on his feet.

Don't get me started on Sonic Underground though......
    Antoine was the Lancer of the Five Man Band, he was a romantic rival, and almost the opposite of Sonic in every way. I will totally admit Antoine is the 2nd weakest part of SatAM...Dulcy...*shiver...That was sort of his role, however, to make the main character look better by default. Also, the other characters get annoyed at him plenty. I dunno. Sonic to me acted very human. He was pretty proud of himself at most times, but at the same time could get emotional over things. He could express love, hate, fear, anger, sadness, joy, paranoia, ego, boredom, and excitement. You get the whole gamut from him in a show that had less airtime than many others.
    Last edited by Clocktopus; 01-10-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Because, where else would you keep your little brother?

Quote Originally Posted by shdowhunt60 View Post
    Because, where else would you keep your little brother?
    Gotta have a place to put him in so that he doesn't dare to eclipse the real star of the show: Sally-kins.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If SMS is considered evil then I don't want to be nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast