Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does Sonic wears a backpack in SatAM

Quote Originally Posted by SMS Skull Leader View Post
    Gotta have a place to put him in so that he doesn't dare to eclipse the real star of the show: Sally-kins.
    uh huh. I mean, he was a 10 year old kid. That would make sense if you thought about it. You know, the mecha-genius-scientist who is smarter than the villain and STILL never does anything because of Sonic being a Gary Stu. It certainly didn't make any sense for him to instead just be a kid who looked up to the older characters and wanted to emulate them and still contribute, or anything.

Good try. "A" for effort.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktopus View Post
    sure, but it didn't really start there. I think you can go back as far as Heroes for that. Even SA in some cases.
    How could SA be the start of flanderization when that was basically the STARTING point of characterization to begin with? Or at least build up on what little characterization they were given in their 16-bit glory?

Really can't agree there. That one was zany and nonsensical. He was more like the Road Runner and Bugs Bunny rolled into one character.
    To me he seems more rounded, no matter how goofy the atmosphere was. He was zany, but also caring and flawed.

He's barely characterized in it and the parts we get are lame. Tails does his trick and Sonic can't care less, he screams at him when he gets splashed, and when Robotnik has the president (CRINGE) held hostage, Sonic wants nothing to do with any of it. Then, there's just the terrible way he interacts with Metal Sonic and the bizarre way he's almost upset about it being destroyed.
    Episode 2 seems to portray Sonic a little better than episode one. The first part he does seem like a spoiled teenager.... Second, though, once he sees how serious the situation is, he gets his head in the game.

Now hold on...Sally was his counterpart. Their conflicting personalities was sort of the point. She was as much a foil to him as an aid. When he would &^@% something up, she would have to find a way to help. When she would @#$! something up, he would have to bail her out. It was sort of 60/40 Sonic to Sally.
    I think out of 26 episodes, I can only recall maybe TWO instances Sally screwed up, but out of those two Sonic helped her out (It was the Griff the Goat episode; She didn't know the way out, but Griff helped her, Sonic and Anoine escape. Then it was the whole trusting Griff thing, which he was able to prove her wrong on).

Everything else.... it was Sonic doing something stupid and Sally on stand-by to help him out and show just how wrong he was (but does that stop him later on? Of course not!) So it's actually more like 80/20 in Sally's favor.

Tails's character is really the only improvement from Boom. I still think he's very dumb when the plot calls for it. As for Amy, eh. Her character traits are admittedly slightly expanded, but mostly just added "girly" to her sort of one-note design. Improvement is still improvement, I guess. Honestly, this isn't Boom's strong suit, and that's why I picked it as a counter-example.
    No argument there.

Antoine was the Lancer of the Five Man Band, he was a romantic rival, and almost the opposite of Sonic in every way. I will totally admit Antoine is the 2nd weakest part of SatAM...Dulcy...*shiver...That was sort of his role, however, to make the main character look better by default. Also, the other characters get annoyed at him plenty. I dunno.
    Antoine seemed more or less the "buttmonkey" nerd of the group, the one created just to get picked on by both the cast and the audience. Sonic strikes me as more of the lancer of the group (despite being the title character and all...) Even TVTropes lists Antoine as "The Chick" of the 5-man group.

Sonic to me acted very human. He was pretty proud of himself at most times, but at the same time could get emotional over things. He could express love, hate, fear, anger, sadness, joy, paranoia, ego, boredom, and excitement. You get the whole gamut from him in a show that had less airtime than many others.
    Disagree. While we see a whole gamut of emotions, 90% of it is geared towards ego, attitude, and cockiness with the occasional fawning over the princess. He was sad maybe two times, and angry once....

AoStH (go ahead and shoot me) was more varied. He was silly, and also cocky as well as impatient, but he reacted accordingly to the situation. If he was confident, the ego came out. If Tails was in real danger, he was worried and cooperated to keep him safe. If Robotnik managed to get the upper hand, he got a little worried. It's not the most favored cartoon out of the fandom, but I truly believe AoStH handled Sonic's character better than SatAM did, even if I'm the only person in the universe to think that. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it XD

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktopus View Post
    uh huh. I mean, he was a 10 year old kid. That would make sense if you thought about it. You know, the mecha-genius-scientist who is smarter than the villain and STILL never does anything because of Sonic being a Gary Stu. It certainly didn't make any sense for him to instead just be a kid who looked up to the older characters and wanted to emulate them and still contribute, or anything.

Good try. "A" for effort.
    The games nowadays may not help my cause here.... but it's not like SatAM did it any better....

Rather than try to work with what they have, they just make him something completely different and stick him far away from the story as possible to make room for the original material. That doesn't sound right either....
    Last edited by Toni the Mink; 01-11-2018 at 07:54 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DuEmpMwLL4S_r5
    Click above to see Minkgirl's Top 100 Sonic Moments!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12