Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Snagged a...........

I'm having a fantastically good time on each of the current modes (other than ranked and league battles) and especially Splatfests (going to get back to the current one shortly). An excellent game in an excellent property that has the acclaim and sales in direct proportion to what's deserved and its quality.

That said, a fairly needless suggestion, BD. As it is, Splatoon as an IP already isn't SL's cup of tea, so you're preaching to the choir where that's concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuronoa View Post
    It is not much but have you been reading the map brochures? (ie map screen).

The story is not deep and you won't see that many cutscenes, but the world does progress and you learn more than any Mario platformer since Galaxy 1.

That's also true.

There are some excellent surprise events along the way as well. Sure, not much regarding story, but they are awesome moments all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    Yeah I mean I know it's Mario, but Odyssey is a little different in that it was sorta going for this "epic, globetrotting" feel to it, so I mean I'm not expecting this game to be Final Fantasy or anything, but it would have been nice if, for example, a couple of the characters in these kingdoms you're essentially saving could have been given slightly larger roles, as they're basically just drones standing around. Or at the very least allow you to converse with Cappy to hear his thoughts on things, etc, as he doesn't really seem to do anything either.

Again of course none of this ruins the game, it's a Mario game, but it does prevent it from feeling like this epic adventure that it thinks it is.

Yup, I've been holding onto whatever little bits of story (or I guess imformation) I can find, lol.
    It doesn't really have to think it's an epic adventure. It is one.

It very much succeeds in gameplay, but I still feel it's somewhere in between Sunshine and Galaxy in having a developed world, internal lore, etc. where Mario platformers are concerned.

I also agree with Waffle on how different games approach story.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    On a side note, unless you're itching to be tortured, I would advise against Splatoon 2, especially during the Splatfests. Even when your side wins in the end, it can be brutal to reach the King/Queen status per Splatfest. Hell, in some cases, I was a low level character, and I still managed to help my team win it.
    My internet sketchiness would make online gaming more or less impossible at this point regardless.

It doesn't really have to think it's an epic adventure. It isone.
    To me it feels epic in certain ways, just not Mario 64 epic though. Some sort of hub world/story would have maybe helped with that. 64's Castle was an endless world filled with all sorts of magic and surprises that the 1-room Odyssey doesn't attempt to match.

Odyssey's gameplay though is of course far more refined/fun, for sure.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-13-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

I don't know, man. 64 wasn't exactly grand scale as an adventure aside from it being one of the first cases of expansive 3D environments in video games.

Peach's Castle was an excellent hub, but you're comparing a small airship to a central location where many were meant to reside (we're talking about a Castle, after all). The Odyssey was no more meant to be a hub than Starship Mario from Galaxy 2. (The latter example technically can be since there's a little room to move around and its population does grow as you go, but it was still a game that used the world map system to go to levels, separating it from the original Galaxy and even those predecessors)

We do agree where the gameplay is concerned, at least.

The Odyssey was no more meant to be a hub than Starship Mario from Galaxy 2.
    Absolutely but the game does I feel miss something from its absence.

Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)

IDK. I think a central location kind of undermines the whole Jules Verne style journey across the world aspect of things.

Regarding the game, looking forward to hearing your next thoughts while you progress.
    Last edited by Twilight_Jedi; 01-15-2018 at 03:38 PM.

IDK. I think a central location kind of undermines the whole Jules Verne style journey across the world aspect of things.
    Sure, though again Jules Verne would probably give you far more to sink your teeth into in each location; some memorable characters and maybe slightly expanded "shop" areas would have gone a long way towards helping them achieving this type of adventure, I feel anyway.

Regarding the game, looking forward to hearing your next thoughts while you progress.
    Yup, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Just got to the snow kingdom now.

Quote Originally Posted by Waffletiger View Post
    So why do you feel that Odyssey needs more story? What would story really add to the game experience?

One of my favorite video game stories of all time is DOOM 2016. Cuz every time Hayden tries to intrude with plot, Doomguy just smashes whatever radio or computer console Hayden is talking through. That game's plot is effectively: "Eff story! We here to kill monsters!" It is hilarious and brilliantly self-aware. Mario is kinda the same thing, but for platformers instead of shooters. "Eff story! We here to jump around!"
    Kind of derailing the topic, but I sort of agree. Especially if the story makes little to no sense to begin with. Like right now, I'm playing Deus Ex for the ps4, and it seems like I'll have a ton of fun for 5 minutes, and I have to sit through 20 minutes of talking and other b.s. Plus it didn't help that I didn't play the previous games.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyron Tanryoku View Post
    I'd advise against Splatoon 2 because it's not a good game haha
    May you be cut in line for your next coffee!
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "I like Waiters, they bring a lot to the table."

Kind of derailing the topic, but I sort of agree. Especially if the story makes little to no sense to begin with. Like right now, I'm playing Deus Ex for the ps4, and it seems like I'll have a ton of fun for 5 minutes, and I have to sit through 20 minutes of talking and other b.s. Plus it didn't help that I didn't play the previous games.
    Well like I said, I'm not talking about 20 minute cutscenes; even something like BOTW's stories for each Divine Beast village would be more than necessary, though if Odyssey attempted even a fraction of that I think the journey would carry more weight.

People generally seem thrilled on the game regardless, and I am similarly fully enjoying myself, but I'm not feeling as attached to this world as I'd like to, and it's kinda a shame because the game really is going for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    Well like I said, I'm not talking about 20 minute cutscenes; even something like BOTW's stories for each Divine Beast village would be more than necessary, though if Odyssey attempted even a fraction of that I think the journey would carry more weight.

People generally seem thrilled on the game regardless, and I am similarly fully enjoying myself, but I'm not feeling as attached to this world as I'd like to, and it's kinda a shame because the game really is going for that.
    Well, with all the story driven games out there, I guess I won't fault the game for being 95% game first and foremost.

Though at the same time, I've grown so numb mario games and whatever story they tried to tell. Frankly I blame the nsmb, galaxy 1+2 and 3dland. Bowser kidnapped peach, you must save.

Plus jsr got the song stuck in my head "come go the rescue peach, the super boy, 1234567...he likes the mushroom" lol.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "I like Waiters, they bring a lot to the table."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmageZero View Post
    Well, with all the story driven games out there, I guess I won't fault the game for being 95% game first and foremost.
    I'd be fine with 95% gameplay, but Odyssey is 99.9% gameplay.

When you land in each Kingdom you really only sometimes have to complete a 15-20 minute level before heading to the next Kingdom, and while you have the freedom to hang around and continue collecting the TONS of moons available in each Kingdom of course, the lack of narrative individuality does make the kingdoms all sorta blend together.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; Yesterday at 08:49 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011