Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Snagged a...........

Odyssey is a lot of fun; I do have mixed thoughts on aspects of it; I definitely wouldn't say it's on Breath of the Wild's level in any capacity, but it's a very enjoyable game that I wish were maybe a little bolder. Am stoked to play more of it.

By the way the HD Rumble can be turned off in LA Noire, further rendering Reich's complaint that the Switch's rumble "works too well" null and void.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-12-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    Odyssey is a lot of fun; I do have mixed thoughts on aspects of it; I definitely wouldn't say it's on Breath of the Wild's level in any capacity, but it's a very enjoyable game that I wish were maybe a little bolder. Am stoked to play more of it.

By the way the HD Rumble can be turned off in LA Noire, further rendering Reich's complaint that the Switch's rumble "works too well" null and void.
    I think it is fairly equivalent in terms of approach, but just in a Mario way and a Mario context.

Well, some quite unexpected things will soon turn up that just might make your eyes go a little wide. XD (When you see those things, you'll immediately know them when they appear)

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on those too.
    Last edited by Twilight_Jedi; 01-12-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Hahaha if you're talking about the song, I just got to that part last night.

It was pretty fun/cool; some cutscenes would have I thought brought the moment home, (kinda my thoughts for the game in general and its very sparse narrative) but yeah it was a cool, fun thing.

And yeah I'll certainly continue to provide thoughts as I play. I'm really digging the game from a gameplay /atmospheric standpoint, though for me it's also hard not to be disappointed by the story, mostly the Cap sidekick character, who doesn't seem to do anything so far but rehash the controls to you when heading from one world to another.

Kinda disappointing, especially after Galaxy gave us Rosalina and a strong backstory, while Odyssey doesn't even seem to be trying in this regard, which makes it seem pretty small scale despite trying to feel like an epic adventure.

Otherwise though I'm certainly liking it. Metro Kingdom was my favorite so far. I like when the game lets you choose between 2 Kingdoms to head to. I chose the Seaside Kingdom, whose visuals are pretty excellent. The sheer amount of Moons to collect in each world makes exploring them all pretty fun, as you're bound to come across many of them as you dive deeper into these Worlds.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-13-2018 at 02:12 AM.

Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)

That reminds me, quite a few people at Sac-Anime were wearing Cappy. (I was pretty sure there was a booth at the exhibit hall selling them)

I really like the Metro Kingdom and especially the grand finale for its story moons, namely the New Donk City Festival (though the entry to the Kingdom was awesome in its own way).

And while that may be somewhat true, it does still have more narrative than a typical main Mario platformer (where such a thing isn't necessary in the first place as there's a higher priority area). For one thing, each Kingdom has a story-related reason for you being there (something neither past 2D and 3D entries have had) other than that it's simply the next level/world/area and that's the only reason. Sure, Rosalina and her backstory helped give Galaxy additional plot beyond the main adventure, but this does provide more than usual in its own way.

And BTW, I was thinking of the Festival as one thing, but trust me, that's definitely not all I had in mind. And as I said, you'll know them when you see them. It'll be nothing you'd expect...in a good way.

Lastly, I really liked the Seaside Kingdom as well. It's visually breathtaking and I love how the ocean is made of crystal-clear carbonated water. XD (Of course, most Mario water bodies have the crystal-clear part)

As always, looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts as you play.

Yeah the Festival was great. I dug it and (though admittedly I knew it was coming) thought it was a cool moment for sure. More cutscenes though I think would have brought the house down, so to speak.

I do wish the game had taken a bolder effort in the storytelling department. Indeed each area has its own story mission but none really carry much emotional weight and you clear them pretty quickly. Hard not to imagine what this could have been if they'd reached out a bit in this department.

But mainly, yeah, Cappy doesn't really seem to develop much. He was great in the opening scenes though. Kinda a shame that was it. (Or seems to be it, I should say.)

Anyway yeah, I've been thoroughly enjoying the gameplay though. Don't have any doubts about that. =]
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-13-2018 at 02:52 AM.

So why do you feel that Odyssey needs more story? What would story really add to the game experience?

One of my favorite video game stories of all time is DOOM 2016. Cuz every time Hayden tries to intrude with plot, Doomguy just smashes whatever radio or computer console Hayden is talking through. That game's plot is effectively: "Eff story! We here to kill monsters!" It is hilarious and brilliantly self-aware. Mario is kinda the same thing, but for platformers instead of shooters. "Eff story! We here to jump around!"
    I play a lot of League of Legends. I currently have Mastery 7 on fifteen champions: Vi (jungle), Tristana (ADC), Lulu (support), Nautilus (support), Sona (support), Bard (support), Rumble (jungle), Poppy (support), Zyra (support), Nami (support), Soraka (support), Miss Fortune (ADC), Leona (support), Shen (jungle), Kog'maw (ADC)

It is not much but have you been reading the map brochures? (ie map screen).

The story is not deep and you won't see that many cutscenes, but the world does progress and you learn more than any Mario platformer since Galaxy 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Waffletiger View Post
    So why do you feel that Odyssey needs more story? What would story really add to the game experience?

One of my favorite video game stories of all time is DOOM 2016. Cuz every time Hayden tries to intrude with plot, Doomguy just smashes whatever radio or computer console Hayden is talking through. That game's plot is effectively: "Eff story! We here to kill monsters!" It is hilarious and brilliantly self-aware. Mario is kinda the same thing, but for platformers instead of shooters. "Eff story! We here to jump around!"
    Yeah I mean I know it's Mario, but Odyssey is a little different in that it was sorta going for this "epic, globetrotting" feel to it, so I mean I'm not expecting this game to be Final Fantasy or anything, but it would have been nice if, for example, a couple of the characters in these kingdoms you're essentially saving could have been given slightly larger roles, as they're basically just drones standing around. Or at the very least allow you to converse with Cappy to hear his thoughts on things, etc, as he doesn't really seem to do anything either.

Again of course none of this ruins the game, it's a Mario game, but it does prevent it from feeling like this epic adventure that it thinks it is.

It is not much but have you been reading the map brochures? (ie map screen).
    Yup, I've been holding onto whatever little bits of story (or I guess imformation) I can find, lol.

On a side note, unless you're itching to be tortured, I would advise against Splatoon 2, especially during the Splatfests. Even when your side wins in the end, it can be brutal to reach the King/Queen status per Splatfest. Hell, in some cases, I was a low level character, and I still managed to help my team win it.
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

I'd advise against Splatoon 2 because it's not a good game haha

Queen of the SEGA Forum
    YouTube|Tumblr|WebM Script

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast