Thread: Nintendo's handhelds may always exist but niche. Android/iOS for everyone else.

Default Nintendo's handhelds may always exist but niche. Android/iOS for everyone else.

I know, this post could annoy some Nintendo Switch owners because it'll seem like I'm 'disrespecting' it which I'm not, just pointing out and making a comparison of game prices. I love to play on the Switch but it sure costs a lot (looking at you, DOOM) more than any other platform.

Recently I've been checking out the games that are available on Android and most of which I've played were console/PC ports which ran smoothly without any issues and even the touchscreen controls weren't a problem either. Then we have the pricing which also is really good as the games are fairly cheap for the most part or the free to play ones, the F2P games have IAPs but not once have I ever spent any real money.

A few weeks ago I bought Old Man's Journey for less than a dollar and if this game was on the Switch it'd be like $14.99 (despite being $7.99 on Steam) because of the famous 'Switch Tax.'

Colin McRae on Android is a pretty impressive port (seems like the PS1 game remastered) and it is such a joy to play on it. Now, had it been on the Switch the graphics probably would be the same but with a price bump from $1.00 to $9.99-14.99 (the usual case).

Gear Club on Android is a free to play game with optional IAPs whereas on Switch it costs like $40 but it's not a game I really care about since there's way better racing games to play (Ridge Racer Slipstream, for example).

And if the touchscreen controls are an issue, you can always just connect a bluetooth controller and there you go (or a wired one though normally it has to be rooted in this case).

P.S. I'm just the type of gamer that likes to save money while gaming and with Nintendo I don't quite get that.
    P.P.S I got Riptide GP: Renegade free of charge on Android via the Amazon Appstore app and on Switch it'd have cost me $9.99.

I buy mobile ports from two sources.
    Kemco, whose RPGs cost about $5 for premium to get rid of ads. It costs usually double on other platforms. No more IAPs if the games had them. Some interface changes like on 3DS you get a map and menus on the other screen.

Circle Entertainment titles. They price their games well. Most are $5 or around. Not bad little "tip" for the extra work to port them and get games that deserve more exposure.

I've never seen anyone waste money on Android games.
    Even people at work mostly play the lite versions that is filled with ads or Clash Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Bogard View Post
    I've never seen anyone waste money on Android games.
    Even people at work mostly play the lite versions that is filled with ads or Clash Royale
    I remember when PS4 and Xbox One launch in 2013 and it had similar problems that the Switch is having right now; where we're seeing a lot of ports and enhanced versions of older games while the new games are delayed. For PS4 and Xbox One, this was because many publishers at the time thought mobile games were the future and that consoles weren't going sell that well anymore. A lot of their time and efforts were going into mobile games. It was the same reason with the Switch, though that had more to do with Nintendo's poor reputation with selling hardware in recent years. Anyway, as it turns out, mobile games weren't the future simply because a lot of people weren't buying them. The consoles weren't selling as much, but at least console owners were buying games.
    Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Mobile phone games tend to be very shallow time sinks with an emphasis on microtransactions. There are very few Android games I like most being ports from NES, SNES and Genesis games. There's also the lack of tactile controls which makes playing a game like Streets of Rage quite difficult.

Nintendo handheld games while quite more expensive than mobile phone games give you a better sense of quality for the money you're spending. They give you a full story, better control and gameplay and filled to the brim with content to entertain you for hours unlike most mobile phone games.
    Now Playing: A random game on a console or PC
    PSN ID: NeoSkyte
    Nintendo Network ID: NeoSkyte
    3DS FC: 3995-6511-8618 ID: NeoSkyte

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSkyte View Post
    Mobile phone games tend to be very shallow time sinks with an emphasis on microtransactions. There are very few Android games I like most being ports from NES, SNES and Genesis games. There's also the lack of tactile controls which makes playing a game like Streets of Rage quite difficult.

Nintendo handheld games while quite more expensive than mobile phone games give you a better sense of quality for the money you're spending. They give you a full story, better control and gameplay and filled to the brim with content to entertain you for hours unlike most mobile phone games.
    Games developed by Nintendo for Nintendo systems are usually worth it but if it's a third party port that can be bought somewhere, then there's a possibility you'd just overpay to play on a Nintendo platform. Android/iOS still have and will always have a lot of crap games but there are some console-quality games one can get. I typically wait for sales than pay full price (even though it's really low compared to Switch prices).

Some games are worth it, some aren't.