Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Odyssey did not deserve best soundtrack of 2017

Default Super Mario Odyssey did not deserve best soundtrack of 2017

I forgot which group of morons deemed Super Mario Odyssey worthy of best soundtrack last year, (I think it was IGN) but whoever did was wrong. It doesnít have a bad soundtrack, but best? In a year with Nier Automata, Persona 5, Sonic Mania, and of course Sonic Forces? You could tell these people donít play games and just picked it because it was Mario. Even Breath of the Wild would have been a good choice with its great minimalistic take on the Zelda series. But you know game journalists: ďMario! Thatíll make people think Iím a real gamer and since gaming journalists have the memory of fruit flies, I canít remember any other game that came out this year!Ē
    #1 Final Fantasy character | #1 Nintendo fan | #1 music artist
    "I'm the coolest." óMe
    Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1691-6470-6620

Quote Originally Posted by FFxArianaGrande View Post
    I forgot which group of morons deemed Super Mario Odyssey worthy of best soundtrack last year, (I think it was IGN) but whoever did was wrong. It doesn’t have a bad soundtrack, but best? In a year with Nier Automata, Persona 5, Sonic Mania, and of course Sonic Forces? You could tell these people don’t play games and just picked it because it was Mario. Even Breath of the Wild would have been a good choice with its great minimalistic take on the Zelda series. But you know game journalists: “Mario! That’ll make people think I’m a real gamer and since gaming journalists have the memory of fruit flies, I can’t remember any other game that came out this year!”
    But can other games have the same feeling as THIS?

Currently awaiting......Whatever.

In a house that's in a city that's in a state that's in a country that's in a continent somewheres.

Eh, I'm cool with it.

Mario soundtracks are okay but don't give me the feeling of a really good song. The are other game soundtracks that are better.

I forgot which group of morons deemed Super Mario Odyssey worthy of best soundtrack last year, (I think it was IGN) but whoever did was wrong. It doesn’t have a bad soundtrack, but best? In a year with Nier Automata, Persona 5, Sonic Mania, and of course Sonic Forces? You could tell these people don’t play games and just picked it because it was Mario. Even Breath of the Wild would have been a good choice with its great minimalistic take on the Zelda series. But you know game journalists: “Mario! That’ll make people think I’m a real gamer and since gaming journalists have the memory of fruit flies, I can’t remember any other game that came out this year!”
    Persona 5 has amazing music, Sonic Mania has amazing music, can't comment on Nier as i haven't played it yet but people do seem to love it's music. I also dig Breath of the Wild's audio design.

I'm sure Mario Oddyssey has good music too, probably with a more casual and mainstream appeal to it. It's not surprising people would like it. Mario is safe as it gets. The main theme song of Oddyssey reminds me of music my Grandpa and Grandma would listen to in the car.

Music is a subjective taste though so not everyone is going to agree on the same thing.

I love Sonic Forces OST. It's so unique. Ohtani blended a lot of different genres together, and said his favorite types of music is house music. SEGA let him go all out with this game, he went in hard. So it's a pretty intense soundtrack and isn't going to appeal to a big audience. But, if you ever need to wake up, get some caffeine and listen to the Sonic Forces OST, you'll be up in no time. You can tell Ohtani had fun making the music for this game, and then on top of that you got the Orchestrated tracks that sound amazing. Say what you will about Sonic Forces but the OST is amazing.

Last edited by Space Cat; 01-12-2018 at 05:44 AM.

That's really the thing. They chose Super Mario Odyssey because it's safe. It's not bad music, but it's like saying boy bands are the best music, because they're the safest and most mainstream to digest.
    #1 Final Fantasy character | #1 Nintendo fan | #1 music artist
    "I'm the coolest." óMe
    Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1691-6470-6620

That's really the thing. They chose Super Mario Odyssey because it's safe. It's not bad music, but it's like saying boy bands are the best music, because they're the safest and most mainstream to digest.
    What? It's not like we're into Boy Bands.

(to the local music player) Go ahead and play that N'Sync song
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

I'm sure Mario Oddyssey has good music too, probably with a more casual and mainstream appeal to it. It's not surprising people would like it. Mario is safe as it gets.
    lol Odyssey actually has some pretty cool songs. This one's my favorite so far;

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

All those songs from Mario you post are too ambient for my taste, they bend into background waaay too much. I want something with more energy, like:

Or blending well with the plot and events happening in the story, enhancing atmosphere: (SPOILER)

And the most magical soundtrack for me is Nier Automata. It's so unique and beautiful and each song is like it's carrying a story...

Sonic Forces has my favorite soundtrack of 2017. It has my second favorite soundtrack in the entire series after Runners. So much energy and vocal tracks are so beautiful. Too bad Classic Sonic had to break it with dying ducks synths... But it's still beautiful.

Mario music is like... Mario. Technically everything is right, but it's too technical, doesn't have that emotional punch to carry. Odyssey has some moments when it has a lot of soul put into, but those are moments. It's still a very technically made game.

FUN IS INFINITE.

Sonic Advance trilogy, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors and Sonic Boom Fire & Ice should be on PC.

With all the talk about Nier, Mario, Sonic soundtracks, yet no mention of Yakuza 0's ost, which honestly had one of the best soundtracks of last year.

With pieces such as these:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast