Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games announced during Direct

I just caught the video part with Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition. Now I have a reason to trade in both versions of the 3DS and Wii U Games. But first, I have to get a Switch.
    Last edited by YoshiAngemon; 01-11-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Look, just get a copy a good game, and play it, and you'll be fine.

Sounds pretty boring. I really hope they aren't planning on charging $60 for Dark Souls 1. (Lol what?)

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Okay, I'm going into each item segment-by-segment.

The World Ends With You Final Remix - I am so excited for this. I loved TWEWY' when it first came out and was quite happy when characters showed up in Kingdom Hearts. This is a definite buy from me. I'll be more than happy to own an enhanced version of one of my favorite DS games (and games from Square-Enix as a whole for that matter) on Nintendo Switch.

New Pokemon Fighters in Pokken Tournament DX - I'll think about this one. I do think it's a fun game, so I may just include it when I get my next big batch of eShop money. (I actually saw a Mimikyu cosplayer at Sac-Anime. Great times every time I go)

Kirby Star Allies - I was already looking forward to this new Kirby game coming to Nintendo Switch. The stuff revealed in the Direct has me even more excited for it, though. I take it the threat from deep space (who has quite the interesting design BTW) is going to end up having an eldritch abomination form. Kirby games are a little known for that. Meta Knight as a boss seems interesting, though I'll admit to wanting a boss fight against said character in modern Kirby. I like the design of the other boss shown, Francisca, as well. I'm really loving how you can combine abilities with the help of Kirby's allies. Anything that makes Copy Abilities more versatile is good with me, and doing so using the element of the game that reminds me of Super Star is a definite bonus. This is another definite buy, and it only being two months away is fantastic to know.

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - Waffle may not think highly of me for saying it (sorry, my friend), but I'm actually excited for this. I refused to double-dip on Hyrule Warriors the first time because going from Wii U to the 3DS was a massive downgrade and I felt cheated to know that the 3DS version had extra content including in the Legends Mode (the main campaign) that the Wii U wouldn't get. However, we now have a version coming with the content of both versions in one along with all DLC included. Having both Nintendo/Dynasty Warriors collaboration spin-off crossovers on the system (Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors) could actually be a wise move on Koei Tecmo's part. Having the content of both versions, all DLC included, and the inclusion of Breath of the Wild skins for Link and Zelda has more than convinced me to double-dip this time for the version coming to Nintendo Switch.

Mario Tennis Aces - I would like to find out more about this. There was a time where I was just happy to pick up a Mario Sports title as certain expectations were always met. However, though Sports Superstars on 3DS was fine by me, I was downright burned with the Wii U's entry of Mario Tennis. Now the fact it comes with a story mode (not seen since the GBA) does give it some points in the right direction. I just want to know, though, if there's also a tournament mode. Though so long as it addresses Ultra Smash's biggest problems (smaller roster, lack of a number of interesting modes with just a few different versions of exhibition, and no course variety), it could do just fine. Heck, if the story mode is really good, I'd even take that in place of tournament cups (assuming the story mode isn't the story of the tournament itself), but I do still want my issues with Ultra Smash to be addressed. And this isn't a complaint, but after all these games, does anyone find it funny that Mario and friends are now wearing actual Tennis uniforms? I do hope this game is solid as otherwise, I'll be left to lament again that Camelot would be better returning to Golden Sun. (To be fair, though, Nintendo's been on a solid roll with the Switch)

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA - I've never really played the Ys games, so I don't know whether or not to be excited. It looks great, and I've always been mildly interested in the IP. Genuinely asking, does anyone more familiar with it think this could be a good entry to enter the franchise with?

Free Update in Super Mario Odyssey - Luigi's Balloon World might not be for me, but I'm kind of happy to see they worked Luigi into the game somehow. I might give it a try, though. Not like I haven't tried to see where I ranked in the online leaderboards in the various minigames. I'm very happy to see the extra outfits, though, especially the Sunshine outfit and shades. The new camera filters can make for some extra fun while taking snapshots in camera mode. Looking forward to the update dropping.

SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy - As a fan of fighting games and a good number of characters from SNK IPs (many that I immediately recognized in this preview), I'm very happy to see this. I'm definitely thinking of getting the game, so a huge thanks to NIS America and this Nintendo Direct for already announcing they're bringing it stateside.

New Story Content with Donkey Kong in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - I had assumed the new character announced for the new story DLC was going to be a Ubisoft character, but I'm happy with it being Donkey Kong as well. I'm curious to find out more like what his abilities in-game are as well as the circumstances behind the new story content. I already bought the Season Pass, so it's just a matter of waiting for it to activate.

New Payday 2 Character Exclusively on Nintendo Switch - I'm kind of on the fence about the game itself as I'm not too fond of games where it's only online multiplayer (if I'm wrong about this, please correct me). However, I do think the new character, Japanese hacker Joy, is a nice addition to the heisters. And as a timed exclusive on the Switch version (so the other versions will receive her at some point). Again, I'm mulling it over.

Fe and Celeste - Well, I have zero love for Fe's publisher, but I do have to give the studio developing Fe (Zoink Games) credit. It's looking like a game I would genuinely have a great time playing. It's visually creative and looks like it approaches things in an interesting way. Can't wait to see more. As for Celeste, that could also end up joining my indie collection on my Nintendo Switch. Looks interesting as a pixel platformer. Might be looking forward to Fe more, but I do think I'll end up buying both indies.

Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze on Nintendo Switch
    - Now, I may not get it myself unless I just really want to be able to play Tropical Freeze anytime, anywhere, but I'm very happy to see this regardless of what my final choice is. Like Kuronoa, I think Tropical Freeze is an excellent 2D platformer with a good balance where challenge is concerned, fantastic level design, etc., that deserved a second chance on a more successful platform. Funky Kong is a nice addition that I suppose is to encourage the double-dip. We'll see.

Dark Souls Remastered - Thank you, From Software and Bandai Namco (). Dark Souls is in the same unique position with me as Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was. I've never had much opportunity to own and play it, so I'm more than happy to do so now that the opportunity has presented itself. And if it comes out like Elder Scrolls did, I imagine the existence of a competent version of the game that can be played anywhere will again be the subject of many reviews. A must-buy for me.

And all of this isn't even all that's coming out in 2018. ^___^

Now I didn't bring up too much about playing games anywhere because at this point, it's a given value for every game that comes to the system. Any game that I want enough to buy for the system is a game I'd be pleased to be able to play anywhere.

This Nintendo Direct Mini had quite some fantastic stuff to announce. I think I only had less interest maybe once or twice in all 14 minutes. I'm excited already for future announcements, including E3 and future Directs.
    Last edited by Twilight_Jedi; 01-11-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuronoa View Post
    Some box art to enjoy:

Just as an extra comment, I do love these boxarts. The system is full of pretty solid examples of great cover art.

Edit: Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack's box art strikes a similar chord with me as SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy does. Maybe I just like colorful box arts combined with anime-style designs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    Sounds pretty boring. I really hope they aren't planning on charging $60 for Dark Souls 1. (Lol what?)
    It's $40 for every version.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    I just hope that I don't have to sit there and rebuy the damn game when a lot of these fixes should've been incorporated in the original PC release to begin with.

There are 2 other Dark Souls games. They couldn't take some time and effort and actually make this a worthwhile collection?

Edit; hmm, so apparently this Remaster is coming to the other systems as well with just the original game, not the other 2. Strange choice, a collection would I think be a more compelling buy, but I guess it's whatever. Stats;

Bandai Namco also promises enhanced visuals on the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X systems. Here’s a breakdown of resolution and framerate options for Dark Souls: Remastered:

Xbox One (1080p, 60 fps)
    PlayStation 4 (1080p, 60 fps)
    Xbox One X (Upscaled 4K, 60 fps)
    PlayStation 4 Pro (Upscaled 4K, 60 fps)
    PC (Native 4K, all textures 2K unconverted, 60 fps)
    Nintendo Switch (TV mode: 1080p, 30 fps; Handheld mode: 720p 30 fps)
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 01-11-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Now Playing: LA Noire (Switch) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Recently Completed: Persona 5 (PS4), South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Sonic Forces (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

30 frames, but I recall Blighttown having lousy frame rate in the original. If the game is fixed up in that area would be good to go.

Wow 99% of the Wii U's library is on the Switch now. Nintendo continues to give the finger to the people who actually got that worthless scam box.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight_Jedi View Post
    Dark Souls is in the same unique position with me as Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was. I've never had much opportunity to own and play it, so I'm more than happy to do so now that the opportunity has presented itself.
    The only way this could be the case is if you only ever play on Nintendo systems.

aspiring memesmith

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Linebeck View Post
    The only way this could be the case is if you only ever play on Nintendo systems.
    Indeed. Dark Souls and Skyrim both have been re-released a billion times on every major platform aside from the Nintendo ones.

Hell, that's the thing with a lot of these ports. Literally the only reason for not having playing this games is if you've been playing solely in Nintendo's walled garden. I'm glad you guys get to play the game and all, but all these games have been out in better iterations than what's on the Switch for a long time now.

And unless they're significantly rebuilding parts of the game, $40 for this port is far too expensive. Especially when the Prepare to Die Edition on Steam is $20 right now.

I mean, really Namco?

Really?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast