Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The worst stage of the Genesis trilogy

Post The worst stage of the Genesis trilogy

Sandopolis imo is the worst stage of the Genesis trilogy its so bland, annoying and act 2 gave me so much trouble as a kid.

Don't you guys agree?

I love the music and atmosphere of Sandopolis.

I choose Hill Top Zone for looking bland. Despite that good bluegrass harmonica.

I'd go with Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1.

Yeah, while I think that Sonic 1 had a diverse set of obstacles unique to each zone (sometjing I feel was not carried to the sequels), Labyrinth Zone to me was always that zone that I just wanted to get over with in as it was the least fun because not only of the water slowing down the action, but also the level design is blocky, with almost no places that make use of Sonic's rolling abilities nor sections built for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If SMS is considered evil then I don't want to be nice.

Wacky Workben--oh, Genesis trilogy only? So, nothing from Sonic CD.

Labyrinth, then.
    proud business owner

I'd say Marble Zone or Labyrinth Zone; both far too slow. Sandopolis Act 2's light mechanic added enough of an interesting feature for me.

Hmm...man, this is tough. Labyrinth is a chore, a three act chore, and the water level gimmicks make it obnoxious. Metropolis at least has a good theme, but has the worst most awful level design of any Genesis Sonic game. Marble Garden is slow, unfun, and has terrible music (except the bridge).

So I just went back and played them all. Labyrinth isn't NEARLY as awful as it was to me when I was 9. It's slow, and the endless loop in act 3 was a pain, but I managed to beat the whole zone in about 12 minutes lost a single life. I NEVER even got this far as an adult.

My final vote goes to Metropolis. I just dread that $%!^ zone.

I always felt Sandopolis gets a bad rap, and it's pretty challenging for a newcomer, to be sure. But I LOVE it, after playing that game to DEATH.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

In a house that's in a city that's in a state that's in a country that's in a continent somewheres.

Probably Labyrinth Zone for me, though that one bit in Chemical Plant Act 2 in the narrow gap with the rising water and the shifty platforms gets a special mention, and why they didn't fix it in Mania is beyond me. They made those parts in Hydrocity with the spikes and cylinders more bearable, why couldn't they work the same magic there?

Labyrinth Zone. It's the reason why I don't replay Sonic 1 that often.

FUN IS INFINITE.

Sonic Advance trilogy, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors and Sonic Boom Fire & Ice should be on PC.

Labyrinth Zone was innovative, it introduced the drowning and bubble gimmick that became iconic to Sonic and many other videogames took inspiration from it... so as slow and annoying as it can be, it has some merits and influence in the history of Sonic.
    (though I like it better in the 8 bit version, darker atmosphere, better music)

Marble Zone is way worse, waiting on a moving block, in Sonic...
    Also, Spring Yard and its ridicolous elevators.
    And for some reason I always found Starlight zone to be uninteresting... not bad but kinda bland and repetitive.

From Sonic 2, I think Sky Chase/Wing Fortress are bad, and Metropolis is Sonic 4 level of quality (for different reasons than speed boosters).
    Oil Ocean is boring and blocky.
    Hill Top is bland too, but still decent.

I like most of the levels of Sonic 3, though for some reason Carnival Night annoys me (probably just because of the annoying music, I dunno), and I think Launch Base is kinda uninspired and bland, especially Act 2 (that also has confusing level design).

From &Knuckles, I like Sandopolis, and every zone of the game is nice, but I think the overall game (&Knuckles only) is a bit more boring compared to the Sonic 3 side.

final result:
    Marble, Spring Yard, Sky Chase/Wing Fortress, Metropolis, and Launch Base (mainly act 2) are IMO the worst levels of the classic trilogy.
    CD excluded because I would put the whole game in the list (except maybe Quartz Quadrant, the only zone where I remember having a tiny bit of fun).
    If I must choice 1 winner (still CD excluded)... it would be Sky Chase/Wing Fortress: it's cool as a cutscene/transition, but the airplane controls are bad and the level design of Wing Fortress is bad and cheap. Even the terrible Metropolis is better than this, despite the unavoidable cheap badniks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordhouse View Post
    You just faced 'em.
    Wanted characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Blaze, Cream, Big, Fang, Chao, Animals, Eggman.
    Favorite Sonic games: Sonic 3&K - Sonic 1 sms - Sonic Advance 2 - Tails' Skypatrol

I honestly don't think labyrinth some is THAT bad. Sure the last act is a pain but I always stored up on lives so it was never a problem, also it's variety.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast