Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The worst stage of the Genesis trilogy

I have a specijal place in my heart for Labyrinth Zone, as it's the only place where Sonic can fight to a draw against Robotnik instead of just wrecking him.

Sandopolis is one of the better zones in the series.

Mirage Saloon is what Sandopolis should have been!

Sandopolis is far from what is supposed to be a bad stage. Probably Labyrinth because of a lot of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Iko View Post
    Labyrinth Zone was innovative, it introduced the drowning and bubble gimmick that became iconic to Sonic and many other videogames took inspiration from it... so as slow and annoying as it can be, it has some merits and influence in the history of Sonic.
    (though I like it better in the 8 bit version, darker atmosphere, better music)
    Only the mechanic, not the stage itself. The stage is pretty bad, doesnt actually help much the player since the you spend to much time submerged fighting badnicks that may make you lost more time than intended, not to mention the traps that slows you even more. Its a terrible experience overall and pretty much everyone who played the game avoid it because of this stage in particular.

"None of this is Good, Vector. Thats why it's called war."
    By Knuckles.

I like Sandopolis (Act 2) and Labyrith Zone. It gave us diversity in challenges for Sonic, where you have to complete the level with new threats of urgency.

Sonic 1: Marble Zone. Found it too cramped (if this is their intention then good job) and don't like its platforming. I like heavy platforming in Sonic games but this zone is just not as fun as others in the game.

Sonic 2: Metropolis Zone. It's probably one too many things trying to kill you and have annoying enemy placement.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles: Marble Garden is a strong contender but I think Carnival Night is the worst one.
    1. It's too long, about the only zone I get time outs in.
    2. While other "pinball" levels entice players to play its gimmicks for lives and rings, this zone has all of its bumpers and bouncing traps just to smite you and work against you.
    3. Maybe I am mis-remembering but I recall secret areas that actually lead you to backtracking parts of the zone. While most levels have secret shortcuts.

Marble Garden.
    A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat.

All the water stages. IMO water sections are only fun if I can skip them completely by building enough speed and running over them, I absolutely loathe water sections.
    Last edited by JayHawk 2; 01-15-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    JayHawk (2)
    Sonic Team more like Not Sonics Team haha

Sandopolis Zone is probably the worst Zone in Sonic & Knuckles, but I wouldn't say it's the worst in the series, not with some of these around.

Marble Zone. Labyrinth may be frustrating to play through, but at least that level doesn't feel like playing the same Act three times in a row. Boring blocky platforming and forced stopping only add to the redundancy. This being the second Zone in the game(especially after Green Hill, no less) makes it among the worst.

Metropolis Zone. Despite its variety over some Zones in the first game, it has almost sadistic enemy placement. These also have to be some the most annoying enemies in any Sonic game. Metropolis also being the only Zone with three Acts is too long.

Carnival Night Zone. This Zone has one of the most unintuitive level mechanics -- the rotating cylinder. Besides that, it is the among the longest Zones and has the longest Act in Sonic 3. Otherwise, it isn't too bad.

Marble Zone: painfully slow with blocky platforming.
    Labyrinth Zone: also painfully slow and blocky platforming, but now with water!
    Metropolis Zone: annoying enemies and enemy placement.
    Finished Forces stage 22 Death Egg - Death Egg in 1'23"35

I didn't expect all this hate for Marble Zone. I found it fun. When the game came out, I'm not sure everyone had expectations for Sonic to keep moving constantly. It was a platformer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast