Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Toejam and earl fans, unite!!

I think i threw up a lil...
    My Brawl friend-code:5241-3704-7247
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACviq8r9bU8
    ^^I'm warning you, This game will give you AIDS!

Quote Originally Posted by CookietheRabbit View Post
    I think i threw up a lil...
    from what? that funny pic?
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7689/00010031.gif follow the rings!

If all fails...Put an over used quote cause you want a member back... Unban Sonicchao..

Senior Member FreshFromFunk-O-Tron1992's Avatar

SLOWLY getting back on Topic...

With ToeJam and Earl's future for the game in the hands of either DLC or Pre-Order Bonus, we finally have our answer! BUT, as I was on the phone with Greg, he said that after working on a couple of games with Dreamworks Interactive, he'd start working more on ToeJam and Earl.

His first directive is to re-release the original TJ&E game with improved graphics, sound and audio on the DS. He's just looking for a company that can help publish the idea.

And about the whole Majesco wanting to work with him thing stated perviously by NinMicroSega, when Greg pitched the idea to Majesco, they said no. But hey! Who knows? Maybe they changed their mind...

I will now leave y'all with the following diddy:

ToeJam and Earl - Techno Remix of Sorts

Senior Member MightytheArmadillo's Avatar
    Onboard the Thousand Sunny, livin' it up with the Straw Hat Pirates.

A DS game for TJ&E would be awesome. I hope it'll happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey D. Luffy
    Dying is not repaying a dept! That's not what he saved you for! Only weak men would die after someone spared their lives!
    http://www.youtube.com/KingDedede16

Greeting Fellow Funkotronians,

Greg J. here - a.k.a. Lamont. Sorry for being absent for awhile now. The reason for the silence was I was playing phone tag with the guy from Sega. It turns out that we are much too late in the process to insert TJ&E into the game. It's in it's final stages of debugging and at this point there is no adding new assets. That's why the people at Sega weren't in a rush to get back to me - they probably had their hands full with other things and knew that it was too late anyway. I did ask about including TJ & E as downloadable content and the fellow from Sega told me that they're not quite ready to make specific plans for that as they're still focused on getting this one out the door, but he promised me that he'd give me a shout when they do get to that point. I'm hopeful that we can get TJ&E into the game that way - but who knows.

One of the things fans don't really understand is that having conversations like this require having lawyers send contracts back and forth to each other. It's very rarely a simple conversation. This takes time and just to talk it can be very expensive. Publishers and developers are often very far apart in their attitudes about what's fair and reasonable - and it's often more about rights and ownership than it is about money. Anyway, that's the part of this biz that's not much fun. For any of you planning to go into the world of game development - be prepared to deal with a lot of limitations. The general rule is, if you can figure out a way to publish directly (web downloadable, iphone, Wii-ware, facebook) you reach fewer people, and have little money to work with but get more freedom to make what you want , if you go with publisher backing you can get a bigger budget but have much less freedom and probably little or no ownership. OK that's Game industry lesson number 12.

As far as ToeJam and Earl XBLA - I'm still talking with Sega. Hopefully we can work something out. I'd like to see the game on there. I appreciate the support but Sega isn't evil or anything. Publishers will always try and get as much as they can for as little as possible. That's just the nature of the biz. If you are planning to go into making games my advice is go indie. Find a way to get your game out there and don't use a publisher. Just make it on your own and release it on the web. Maybe we can change the industry and do away with the whole publisher model - it's not one that really promotes innovation or creativity.

Power to the people!!!

--Lamont out

Quote Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
    Greeting Fellow Funkotronians,

Greg J. here - a.k.a. Lamont. Sorry for being absent for awhile now. The reason for the silence was I was playing phone tag with the guy from Sega. It turns out that we are much too late in the process to insert TJ&E into the game. It's in it's final stages of debugging and at this point there is no adding new assets. That's why the people at Sega weren't in a rush to get back to me - they probably had their hands full with other things and knew that it was too late anyway. I did ask about including TJ & E as downloadable content and the fellow from Sega told me that they're not quite ready to make specific plans for that as they're still focused on getting this one out the door, but he promised me that he'd give me a shout when they do get to that point. I'm hopeful that we can get TJ&E into the game that way - but who knows.

One of the things fans don't really understand is that having conversations like this require having lawyers send contracts back and forth to each other. It's very rarely a simple conversation. This takes time and just to talk it can be very expensive. Publishers and developers are often very far apart in their attitudes about what's fair and reasonable - and it's often more about rights and ownership than it is about money. Anyway, that's the part of this biz that's not much fun. For any of you planning to go into the world of game development - be prepared to deal with a lot of limitations. The general rule is, if you can figure out a way to publish directly (web downloadable, iphone, Wii-ware, facebook) you reach fewer people, and have little money to work with but get more freedom to make what you want , if you go with publisher backing you can get a bigger budget but have much less freedom and probably little or no ownership. OK that's Game industry lesson number 12.

As far as ToeJam and Earl XBLA - I'm still talking with Sega. Hopefully we can work something out. I'd like to see the game on there. I appreciate the support but Sega isn't evil or anything. Publishers will always try and get as much as they can for as little as possible. That's just the nature of the biz. If you are planning to go into making games my advice is go indie. Find a way to get your game out there and don't use a publisher. Just make it on your own and release it on the web. Maybe we can change the industry and do away with the whole publisher model - it's not one that really promotes innovation or creativity.

Power to the people!!!

--Lamont out
    well i actually didnt know that it might fail in attempt to insert T&E into the game but atleast there are hopes since there are alot, thanks for that post telling alot of what heppend

If all fails...Put an over used quote cause you want a member back... Unban Sonicchao..

Speaking of WiiWare and other low cost non publisher options; wouldn't that be a viable option for a ToeJam and Earl game?

Perhaps. I am thinking about how I might accomplish that some day. When you're young and single and can live on very little making a new indie game is possible - though never easy. To do something like a TJ&E game, it requires reaching some minimum bar of quality and it still costs money to hire people and keep the lights on for 6 months or 9 months, or however long it takes you.

Right now my studio is committed to doing other things and I can't consider it, but I have been VERY moved by all of the reaction from the TJ&E fans. I will try and find a way to revive TJ&E somehow.

I really never expected this type of reaction. You may think you're not able to make a difference by chatting on these boards, but it does make a difference. Keep expressing yourselves. Developers read these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
    Perhaps. I am thinking about how I might accomplish that some day. When you're young and single and can live on very little making a new indie game is possible - though never easy. To do something like a TJ&E game, it requires reaching some minimum bar of quality and it still costs money to hire people and keep the lights on for 6 months or 9 months, or however long it takes you.

Right now my studio is committed to doing other things and I can't consider it, but I have been VERY moved by all of the reaction from the TJ&E fans. I will try and find a way to revive TJ&E somehow.

I really never expected this type of reaction. You may think you're not able to make a difference by chatting on these boards, but it does make a difference. Keep expressing yourselves. Developers read these things.
    i belive you mean at the last thing you said was to never give up? right? well i guess you showed that giving up would not make you reaply around so yeh, giving up is something that no one should do no matter what i guess, never give up and your hopes will be worth it
    Last edited by Alex2beta; 11-10-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast