Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Devs Gather Support for an Unannounced Console

Talking

if its a yet unannounced console wouldnt that rule out Natal, pspgo, onlive, zeebo. Just wondering because all the third party companies have talked about starting on these from what ive read. I bet itll come from Apple, or some unknown company

With the bad economy we're still in, jumping on the home console bandwagon would be suicide even for a strong company like Apple. There are already as much systems on the market as can possibly be and any newcomer would suffer 'sudden death'. The only other option would be to make a cheap handheld or a cheap, 3rd world console like they are trying with Zeebo (no clue if it's populaur).

Past experience has prooved that sometimes even long-term, experienced companies can't avoid failure. The death of Dreamcast and the mediocre success of GameCube prove that.
    sig

There's always room in any market, you just have to learn how to make it. Though right now would be a pretty bad time unless they've just made the system of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by Pun Laca View Post
    There's always room in any market, you just have to learn how to make it.
    Tell that to Sega (Dreamcast) and Atari (Jaguar)
    sig

Those two companies didn't have enough money to support their systems. 20 years ago, no one thought that anyone could take a successful bite out of Nintendo's stranglehold in the market. 15 years ago, people said that a 3rd player in the market couldn't work because during that time, everytime someone tried, they got shot down. And then we almost had 4 consoles back in 2001, but then Sega ran out of money. It's possible. Maybe not right now, but it will be in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pun Laca View Post
    And then we almost had 4 consoles back in 2001, but then Sega ran out of money. It's possible.
    Yeah, but like you said youself - they cut DC support/production and the GameCube suffered bad sales too. Xbox didn't do bad for a newcomer, but MS had to get rid of it too fast (it's a question if they did a wrong decision with that) in favour of the 360. On the other hand, the PS2 got all 'teh muniez'
    sig

Quote Originally Posted by Novus13 View Post
    if its a yet unannounced console wouldnt that rule out Natal, pspgo, onlive, zeebo. Just wondering because all the third party companies have talked about starting on these from what ive read. I bet itll come from Apple, or some unknown company
    Apple currently has no plans to enter the console market at all whatsoever. There's nothing to suggest that at all.

It could be Natal, but I don't understand how SEGASammy could be ruled out. They dont tell people everything they do and they certainly wouldn't tell a low lever employee at SEGA of America who can't keep a secret which is probably why Clusmy knows little about the Ringwide and Ringedge boards.

Now if it were Natal or Onlive wouldn't someone be able to leak it out? When it comes to American companies, stuff like this is usaully leaked out. Unlike the Japanese, American manufacturers aren't careful when it comes to secret projects. The 360 was unveiled a month before it's annoucement.

I don't believe this is for an American console at all. Otherwise people would be able to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Clumsyorchid View Post
    None taken, but for context, if it was something I couldn't discuss, I wouldn't be able to deny it either. It would be zero communication or I wouldn't be working at Sega much longer. I think the standard response for most anything tied to NDA is, "no comment." Posting my long responses and such would definitely be considered a comment.

I try to be open about the stuff I can be because I know what it's like to be on the outside looking in .
    I'd say that's probably why your in the dark about SEGA hardware projects. NDA's are for people not to disclose anything or for them to use a context that's vague that suggests something but doesn't say what. If you had really signed a NDA, you would be in a lot of hot water with SEGA just like Stephen Copeland was in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringedge2010 View Post
    I'd say that's probably why your in the dark about SEGA hardware projects. NDA's are for people not to disclose anything or for them to use a context that's vague that suggests something but doesn't say what. If you had really signed a NDA, you would be in a lot of hot water with SEGA just like Stephen Copeland was in 1998.
    Or, like he already iterated, there is no planned next-gen console being worked on by SEGA. Not saying that otherwise is impossible, just that the former is very, very possible despite the given questionable evidence of non-time-sensitive patents and whatnot.

SEGA have been making coin-op arcade games since their inception, no? And they're still doing it now, moving on with the Ringedge and Ringwide. They've made more arcade boards than they've made home consoles (and handhelds), all (or most of them, I'm not sure) based on arcade board models. It's nice to speculate that they've got a solid plan with Ringedge and Ringwide, and I've certainly heard some interesting theories on how SEGA plans to use them, but saying that they absolutely will based on given evidence or scrounging up bits of dubious evidence towards that claim is not very realistic or helpful.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a new guy.

That's the thing. There really aren't any clues ast to how it would work if it ever came to be. People keep talking about the touchscreen tech. But touchscreens aren't a very clever solution for a console. It'd mean you'd have to sit a couple feet from your tv. Few people are willing or even able to do that. You'd have to be able to replicate a touchscreen from a distance like the Wii does.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast