Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Console Clones

Default Sega Console Clones

I realize that a lot of people would love to see a new Sega console, but I, personally, would rather see Sega either re-release its older consoles or - even better - take the same approach that was taken with the 3DO or Nuon by licensing third parties to manufacture their own renditions based on the base system specifications.

I'd expect that manufacturing the various chipsets (or even consolidating them to an extent without obvious trade-offs to playback quality) should be relatively inexpensive, even for more complex consoles like Saturn. Furthermore, manufacturers could make premium models with enhancements such as Bluetooth compatibility and improved video connections (Please, no more composite.), among other things. While none of this would ever happen, I think that it'd be an interesting and safe approach for Sega to take with reintroducing itself into the video game hardware market.

While I realize that you can get Genesis clones, the compatibility is somewhat lacking at times, and the build quality of clones tends to be pretty dismal. I'd like to see some big names getting behind something like this.

Your thoughts?

didnt they do that with the saturn and sega cd?

It's cheaper to buy a used Genesis than it is to buy one of the garbage clones. This isn't like an NES clone at $15 vs a $50 NES with only minimal issues. Unfortunately,. one reason these clones cost so much is due to Sega licenses- AtGames holds a license with Sega for hardware and these clones insist on built-in games which they pay a license to obtain. This wouldn't be a big deal if not for the fact the hardware in them is so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by konner920 View Post
    didnt they do that with the saturn and sega cd?
    Yes, but only in Japan in the case of the Saturn. As for the Sega CD, that was more so in the form of the consoles consolidating both the Genesis and the Sega CD into a single console, and those were in pretty limited numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dio Soth View Post
    This wouldn't be a big deal if not for the fact the hardware in them is so bad.
    That's precisely the issue. The plastic is flimsy, and the controllers break too easily. Furthermore, some of the clones don't even allow you to utilize official Sega controllers. Worse still, the chipsets are consolidated to the point where it negatively affects the consoles' performance.
    Last edited by kevinski; 02-10-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: I meant to multi-quote and didn't realize that you could. Oops. :P

Some of the clones use NES controller type inputs which causes control issues. There's also the matter of the built-in games being the same selection Sega sticks on their compilations, and it's almost always the same 20 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dio Soth View Post
    Some of the clones use NES controller type inputs which causes control issues. There's also the matter of the built-in games being the same selection Sega sticks on their compilations, and it's almost always the same 20 games.
    ...probably because they hope that people who don't have Genesis cartridges will still buy it. Those are likely the people who will be most content with these clones, because they're the only ones whose entire collection (i.e. the pre-installed games) will work.

These clones would be worth it with those games if only the hardware was any good(system plus 20 games for $40 wouldn't be bad in that case). But they have bad sound issues and graphics problems even with their installed games.

I wanted one of those handhelds... but they use the same hardware and they all have the same cramped design. It should have been a bit wider so the buttons would be flatter.

Probably the only good Genesis clone is the FC3 Plus. Its a Famiclone that plays NES, SNES, and Genesis games. The Genesis support is fantastic and spot on in sound, picture and compatibility. The thing will even play Virtua Racing.

I think things like the Gencore are a great idea being able to put NEW Genesis games on a memory card and play them on it. It's just to bad the sound on them, from what I've seen, is complete ***.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Probably the only good Genesis clone is the FC3 Plus. Its a Famiclone that plays NES, SNES, and Genesis games. The Genesis support is fantastic and spot on in sound, picture and compatibility. The thing will even play Virtua Racing.
    It also seems to hate certain brands of TV. I bought one, the NES sound was nearly inaudible, the SNES picture was garbled and the Genesis picture was too dark to see. I sold it to the local "we pay 10% of our sale price" stores and it worked on their TV. But for what you'd pay for one of them you're better off with a cheap vintage Genesis and a Retro Duo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast