This seemed to work for me, go to my Documents \Alpha Protocol\APGame\config
open the APEngine.ini and scroll down to the [ALAudio.ALAudioDevice] section.
Change the line DeviceName=generic software to device name=generic hardware.
I have an X-fi so changed it to
DeviceName=SB X-Fi Audio 
you can dl a program called ALcapsviewer from creative that will show you your ALaudiodevices and the id string you can enter instead of generic hardware.
I also increased the maxchannels to 128.
I haven't played it much since I changed it, but I am getting 7.1 surround sound, and I can hear conversations much clearer, and I get echo and other effects, but cant confirm its a crash free solution.
I have tried everything to get true surround sound to work on my Razer Megalodon headset in Alpha Protocol. I was looking at the APEngine.ini file and noticed a lot of similarities between it and the Mass Effect 1 BioEngine.ini file, which isn't surprising since they both run off the Unreal Engine. So I decided to start tweaking a little bit. I have 5.1 Surrond working in Mass Effect, but I am using ISActAudio, not ALAudio. I tried copying the information for the ISActAudio into the APEngine.ini. It didn't work. Alpha Protocol crashed before it even loaded up. Oh well, guess it's back to the drawing board for us people who don't have Creative audio cards.
I ended up here looking to fix another UnrealEngine game's surround, and it's certainly an annoying issue that developers force gamers to use Creative software for games when its true advantages are not that outstanding, Crysis for example, runs perfect on my onboard on 5.1, and it's the most incredible sound I've ever got from a videogame.
Anyways, I will be checking that "ALcapsviewer" thing to see what my device name is and try that out.