Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible reason for no gc

Default possible reason for no gc

ok well this is rather speculation but get this : Segac did say trouble with microtransactions right? well as it turns out the xbox's stupid billing system allows you to overdraft on certain prepaid debit cards. Now for those of you that do not understand what this can mean ill explain : Xbox wants billing done through them since psu is using them as a marketing medium. Because of this xbox as well as just about all other companies make stupid contracts that limit the rights of clients. these contracts are protected by law. For example the United states constitution. A solid representation of this would be the case between konami and upper deck over the rights to yugioh{google this if you have no idea}. WEll back to the point the billing system over xbox live has several flaws that mainly come from the fact that the program that runs it is flawed. It doesnt always check credit/debit. It just lets it pass. if they dont check it can go right through even if there is no money to pay for said service.so here is a scenario : You get 5 $50 visa debit cards for your birthday. You put them on your account and you get gc{given it was an option}since you cant take the cards off your account even if they are depleted it can confuse the billing program and your order may go through as it is processing your information. If you dont believe me Ican assure you this may be a possible reason. Understand this : my brother gave his friend his debit card info and then got a new card and got rid of the old one. Months later he gets bills for processes completed on an expired card made post expiration. So basically how this worked out is that someone is getting jipped whether it be my brother, segac, microsoft, or the bank he used.

This is entirely true this has happend to me before on an old credit card
    http://forums.sega.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=94258&dateline=132391  2171VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/CIRCULARGAMING

im glad some1 agrees with me.

Super Moderator Samurai Silhouette's Avatar

Huh? I thought it was all explained right here:
    http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=328533

If prepaid/gift cards were a problem, then it'd be a problem with MS points and buying PSU's AOTI expansion.

it is a pretty bad flaw in M$ system defiantly.
    http://forums.sega.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=94258&dateline=132391  2171VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/CIRCULARGAMING

that announcement did not clearly specify what problems were at stake when referencing said microtransactions

Senior Member Divine Maiden Queen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phriedphoenix View Post
    that announcement did not clearly specify what problems were at stake when referencing said microtransactions
    It is quite reasonable for (Sega) to not get into exact details for various reasons. And exactly what most/virtually all other organisations do. There are millions of reasons why organisations can't reveal everything they know.

Divine Maiden Queen lvl125 FT/MF Queen lvl96 AT, Space Angel lvl69 ({GM})
    ,Queen of Space lvl60 FF

im just saying mainly because their reasoning of "From a community standpoint, charging microtransactions for features that affect the game, on top of a monthly subscription, seemed unfair & unwise for our region. I think the community here expressed that, and this was the overall feeling of our team as well." idont know how to post quotes like that so bear with me ed, im just restating your claim. that reasoning didnt stick with me and did not seem very smart from a business standpoint. after all isnt sega a company so it can make money.

Can any1 cast a technic that may lure edward here to put in his view? iwant to know if this has any potential for being a culprit.

a fellow of infinite jest. Edward@Sega's Avatar

Interesting reasoning if true ... but that's not quite it.

There really were a few things driving this decision.

First, charging more money for more things is not always a sound business decision. Even the supposed "bean counters" realize this; slapping more dollar signs on any option possible isn't automatically seen as a positive. It's very easy to turn people off in this way, I think ... So it wasn't just an issue of "hey maybe we can make more money off this". It really is a lot more complicated.

From a community standpoint, I know we were very uncomfortable with creating these barriers for a game that wasn't designed for it from the start. Allowing people to improve and have better things simply by shelling out dollars seems like bad design. I *do* think that a game can be made with microtransactions in mind, and can be balanced around it. We were pretty uncomfortable with how that would work in our market though. If it's something that works in Japan, that's fine -- we do have different player bases and to be honest, the different regions have different philosophies about microtransactions in games. I think that matters, and we were fairly sensitive to it.

That's been a driving force for us for a while. Moreover, the community has been pretty against it. What you guys have been clearly in favor of, I think, is the content related to microtransactions. Obviously, we're all in favor of content. But more than a few of you eloquently expressed your reservations about creating barriers in gameplay based on how much money someone could spend. This is a pretty real concern, and from a community standpoint, we took care to send along that feedback -- along with dissenting opinions.

There were technical concerns as well, which I can't go into detail about here. It involves the way Xbox Live handles transactions related to the types of content our microtransactions would be for -- it is, as I understand it, a complicated issue So even if sentiment was vastly in favor of microtransactions, there were additional barriers.

Again, the major issue, I think, is not the microtransactions -- is anyone really clamoring to make more payments ? -- but the content. What we want is to find a way to provide all the content we possible can, without charging for it. That's something that needs attention but from a Community angle, we've been working very hard to make these concerns known to all of our higher-ups and decision makers.

Hope this explanation helps a little!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast