Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future of the Skies of Arcadia franchise

Default The future of the Skies of Arcadia franchise

I think Skies of Arcadia is a franchise which SEGA seems to have largely forgotten, but could easily resurrect. I know not everyone who played the game necessarily wants a sequel (since the original was so good and so self-contained), but I think an HD remake (NOT a straight port from DC or GC) that can be downloaded on XBLA and PSN would be a good way to re-introduce the IP to a new batch of gamers and test the waters regarding support for a possible sequel. I know Ubisoft has recently tried this with Beyond Good & Evil HD, although I don't know if that was a success for them or not.

What do you guys think?

I think Skies of Arcadia is a game that definitely needs to be resurrected, it is easily one of the best RPGs ever and many inferior games have had sequels or remakes. It also has a very loyal fanbase, many of whom want a sequel. Although it does stand alone as a great game, I do think the ending does leave it open for a sequel ('more adventures' etc.) which would be great if they could do it right, though I can't really think of how a HD version could work, since the blocky and colourful style actually worked quite well in the original. I don't really think it needs to be remade because the original didn't have many problems at all, but it would probably need to be brought to more people's attention if a sequel was to be a commercial success. Whatever they do I think they should release a version of it for the Wii (or the Wii2 if it takes that long) since Legends was on the Gamecube and it does seem the type of game that works well on a Nintendo console (also the Wii needs some good RPGs)

Banned

Skies of Arcadia was easily one of the best RPGs I have ever played, so I would be thrilled if they decided to revisit it. I understand that it isn't the most popular game but that didn't stop them from releasing a sequel to NiGHTS. I don't personally think it needs a full "remake" treatment, but it wouldn't hurt to release it on PSN and XBOX Live arcade since we are revisiting Dreamcast classics.

I'd love to see a Skies of Arcadia 2 and Shenmue 3. I'd buy ports of Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue I/II if they were put on PSN, WiiWare, and XBLA.

Just use the audio from the Dreamcast version when porting Skies of Arcadia. The audio of Skies of Arcadia Legends (gamecube port) was just awful sounding when you've already played the Dreamcast version.

Banned

It's dead as Vectorman.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA Pingas View Post
    It's dead as Vectorman.
    Don't make me threaten you with a rocket-propelled chainsaw headshot with such a cynical thing >> .

Skies of Arcadia should definitely have a sequel, the matter is what kind? Should it have an after-years sequel with Vyse and company, or take place in a further in-game generation?
    Fnarf.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA Pingas View Post
    It's dead as Vectorman.
    Good idea! Bring back Vectorman, too OH, and Sketch Turner needs to make his triumphant return with a new version of Comix Zone, maybe one that isn't completable within 25 minutes.

As much as I loved the game, I suspect there is not future for the name (not calling it a series since there was only one). If the odds were defied and another was made, I would gladly accept it for the 3ds or NGP. The current console market just isn't friendly toward turn-based games.
    Looking forward to the best games? Too late; they were released years ago.

I don't expect it to be coming any time soon, but I would love for another entry.

Somewhere near Christmas Island (it's the truth)

Smile Eternal Rush of Arcadia / エターナルラッシュ・オブ・アルカディア

Quote Originally Posted by sth88 View Post
    I know not everyone who played the game necessarily wants a sequel (since the original was so good and so self-contained)
    That's why the Japanese version of it was titled as “Eternal Arcadia” / エターナルアルカディア”.

Quote Originally Posted by freya2770 View Post
    [Skies of Arcadia] does seem the type of game that works well on a Nintendo console (also the Wii needs some good RPGs)
    Yeah, it definetly feel like a Role Playing Game for a Nintendo console.
    Kinda reminded one of the Rockman DASH series,
    that currently get its 3rd sequel for the Nintendo 3DS, after around a decade without any big sequel.
    Its last two big games were for the Sony PlayStation, released in 1997 (originial) and 2000 (sequel).

And Nintendo after all recently published Xenoblade,
    that is part of the Xeno series (Xenogears and XenoSaga),
    that took place at the era between Zeboim and Solaris.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
    I would gladly accept it for the 3ds or NGP. The current console market just isn't friendly toward turn-based games.
    There have a been a lot of old games that get a remake or a sequel for the Nintendo 3DS.
    So Arcadia might get a remake or a sequel there,
    perharps even with a ship to ship style mini game using the Gyroscopic control.

Quote Originally Posted by TB View Post
    Skies of Arcadia should definitely have a sequel, the matter is what kind? Should it have an after-years sequel with Vyse and company, or take place in a further in-game generation?
    Well, a sequel that took place at the near future certainly
    will keep a lot of the old characters, places, and so on.
    But might risk of being stagnant and too retro, plus might change too much.

A sequel that took place a generation or two or even more
    (or just the recent future, or even an alternate viewpoint)
    might allow them to bring a lot of new things.
    But might risk of being alienating the older fans and too new, plus might be too much the same.

Plus they have a lot of explaining to do on what the characters were doing all of those years.
    Or maybe just months or weeks or days or even hours if the former was choosed.

Final Fantasy VII after all decided to stick with the former type of sequels.
    And it like any past Final Fantasy game was originially done as a one deal game only.

Anyway.
    2007's Sonic Rush Adventure in a kind of way done sort of a tribute to 2000's Skies of Arcadia.
    Ever wondered what if Aika was a raccoon?

Aika and Marine the Raccoon:

Not a straight port though, but there are some resemblances between the two games.
    After all, Blaze isn't Vyse, or is it there a gender bender?

Back to developing Arcadia's sequel or just a remake.
    The problem is... there have been a lot of restructuring at SEGA since 2003.
    So who will handle the Arcadia sequel (that was developed pre-2003)?

A third party?

Or is it 第一CS研究開発部 (Daiichi CS Kenkyuukaihatsubu) /
    First Consumer Software Research and Development Division?
    That handled the 'cutting edge' games in High Definition, the (older) teen and above market,
    games for the hardcore gamers, and think it's interesting to pit the Yakuza against zombies.

Or maybe 第二CS研究開発部 (Daini CS Kenkyuukaihatsubu) /
    Second Consumer Software Research and Development Division?
    That handled the general games, the up to teen market, games for the general public,
    and think that Aika would be cute as a raccoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast