Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sally Acorn love thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
    Why do you give her dark eyebrows of all things? Eyebrows must match hair, otherwise hair is fake colour. It's one of the biggest faux pas in fashion.

To me hair is problematic as long it is a different colour. No amount of redesigns will change it.
    Look carefully

The outline around her eyes thicken near the top making something of an eyebrow, much like Sally (though I admit I may have thickened it too much. I know you previously negated the Vanilla example for separate hair color but I still don't think it's a big deal. I'd rather have her like that than another Sonic/Tails clone anyway.

It is a problem of the character, if she's viewed by the majority as being normally portrayed this way. Rouge is another example, although the focus is only of one attribute, not the whole body as Sally's case. Furthermore, Sally was drawn like this in the Genesis arc as well, so largely not done nowadays isn't true either. It is unfortunate, because the character already receives unwanted criticism and misguided fans as it is.
    In Genesis she is drawn femininely, but not that much.... Can't a girl be drawn like that anymore?
    A fan of any Sonic canon, especially the comic universe and Satam.

Quote Originally Posted by E-122 Psi View Post
    Look carefully

The outline around her eyes thicken near the top making something of an eyebrow, much like Sally (though I admit I may have thickened it too much. I know you previously negated the Vanilla example for separate hair color but I still don't think it's a big deal. I'd rather have her like that than another Sonic/Tails clone anyway.
    I'm not sure which one do you mean. If it's the above her eye, than that's a different monster altogether. Those are eyelashes and it's okay for the line to be thick because that's what eyeliners do. If it's between the cream and orange part, than that's the eyebrow, but in Cream's case I don't see much of a significance in thickeness, therefore subtleness is good? Eyebrow must be of same shade as hair. You might even think this is me being a hater, but if that was true, I'd tell you to keep it. It is faux pas and furthermore, trashy (like bleached blonds with dark eyebrows or roots for example).

Sally doesn't need to be a clone of Sonic and Tails. Just look at Marine or Blaze. They have different "hairstyles" to them and still look part of them like the rest of the Sonic characters. They don't look out of place, do they? Sally looks like she's wearing a wig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhgs View Post
    In Genesis she is drawn femininely, but not that much.... Can't a girl be drawn like that anymore?

Of course she can, but if sticks out like a sore thumb next to the rest of the canon characters (Sonic and Tails), people (namely I) are going to point that out.
    Last edited by RedMenace; 08-29-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Look carefully

Gotta bat on the other side for this one, black lining around the eyes aren't eyebrows at all and don't act as such. If they were, that'd mean Vector and Espio have some VERY interesting anatomical features...
    The Sega West forum's resident reptilian analyst/fangirl saying "Seriously, if I couldn't get any more than that in Generations, he's never coming back".

Character Researcher, Logistical, Obsessed.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
    I'm not sure which one do you mean. If it's the above her eye, than that's a different monster altogether. Those are eyelashes and it's okay for the line to be thick because that's what eyeliners do. If it's between the cream and orange part, than that's the eyebrow, but in Cream's case I don't see much of a significance in thickeness, therefore subtleness is good? Eyebrow must be of same shade as hair. You might even think this is me being a hater, but if that was true, I'd tell you to keep it. It is faux pas and furthermore, trashy (like bleached blonds with dark eyebrows or roots for example).

Sally doesn't need to be a clone of Sonic and Tails. Just look at Marine or Blaze. They have different "hairstyles" to them and still look part of them like the rest of the Sonic characters. They don't look out of place, do they? Sally looks like she's wearing a wig.
    I mean the slight thickness on the top of the orange patching around her eyes. Some other characters with patched fur like Big have it too. It's subtle but I can see it, in SatAm, Sally's patching was similar, albeit slightly thicker. It was only later on when they gave her red bushy ones that they became so prominant (not to mention flattened a bit to give her a more square-ish facial design).

I think Marine is a very bad example. She looks like Cream albeit recolored and with a couple strange appendages added on. Blaze at least has a unique facial design. I'm just going to have to agree to disagree here. I've always just thought the recent designs for Sonic characters were rather samey and uninspired. If there were such restrictions and limits on how characters were designed we wouldn't get Big or Chip.
    Last edited by E-122 Psi; 08-29-2011 at 08:41 AM.

I've always just thought the recent designs for Sonic characters were rather samey and uninspired. If there were such restrictions and limits on how characters were designed we wouldn't get Big or Chip.
    Ironically and despite how a huge part of the fanbase don't want to see humans, I saw more variety in the ones from Unleashed than with the anthro characters. Maybe thinking outside the box, or better yet, outside the sphere (the basis for most characters) would help bring variety in their designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If SMS is considered evil then I don't want to be nice.

I mean the slight thickness on the top of the orange patching around her eyes. Some other characters with patched fur like Big have it too. It's subtle but I can see it, in SatAm, Sally's patching was similar, albeit slightly thicker. It was only later on when they gave her red bushy ones that they became so prominant (not to mention flattened a bit to give her a more square-ish facial design).
    Oh, that? I hate to say it, but that's purely the art style, Psi. If you look at the CG models and merchandise of her, there is no such line there, it's not an eyebrow.
    The Sega West forum's resident reptilian analyst/fangirl saying "Seriously, if I couldn't get any more than that in Generations, he's never coming back".

Character Researcher, Logistical, Obsessed.

Senior Member Justin Summerville's Avatar

Sheesh, I want to put as many Sally pictures (good ones) that I've found on here, but that would be too massive for a single post. Gonna have to do it in small doses.

Anyway, here's some pics by one of the superior deviantARTists, Tazi-san.

Couple of character studies:

Sally as queen:

Sonic and Sally going somewhere:

A digital picture:

How the final SatAM episode should have ended:

A couple Sally and Bunnie portraits:

Senior Member Justin Summerville's Avatar

Finally, Sally before a mirror:

I agree with Pur on this one. It's art style, not an eyebrow.

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Cream_the_Rabbit/Artwork

If you look at other characters made in this style, you'll notice some lines are thicker at points as well, just to emphatise things. For example:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../7/77/K_d2.png

Look at the eyebrow ridge.

I think Marine is a very bad example. She looks like Cream albeit recolored and with a couple strange appendages added on. Blaze at least has a unique facial design. I'm just going to have to agree to disagree here. I've always just thought the recent designs for Sonic characters were rather samey and uninspired. If there were such restrictions and limits on how characters were designed we wouldn't get Big or Chip.
    I don't see how Big is a departure. He's just fat and therefore the pipe limbs look bloated. His fur chest and muzzle patch is just like Tails for example. Maybe his eyes, maybe, but even so that's one detail and Sally has several amongst many that clash violently with the rest of the cast. Chip is a God, he's supposed to look strange and out of place (he's very much like Shadow, who looks a little weird when put next to the others).

I pointed Marine as a way to make the "hair" look different from the other characters and yet still look like she fits, not her face structure. Same for Blaze. What is your opinion on Lumina? She looks out of place (understandable) but there are a fair few ideas that one could explore.

I'm sure there's a solution for this. The artists need to keep trying, if they want her to really fit with the rest, otherwise she sticks like a sore thumb and she's not a God or an Artificial Lifeform where this would be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Summerville View Post
    A couple Sally and Bunnie portraits:
    Bunnie looks good here. She would look less out of place than Sally, if compared.
    Last edited by RedMenace; 08-29-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast