Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Generations NVIDIA Optimus Issue

Exclamation Sonic Generations NVIDIA Optimus Issue

Sega Customer Support,

After purchasing Sonic Generations for PC (on Steam) it has come to my attention that the game has a major flaw which prevents users with NVIDIA Optimus enabled systems from using their NVIDIA Graphics cards to run the game. The majority of the latest intel i3/i5/i7 mid/high range laptops use a combination of integrated Intel HD graphics and discrete NVIDIA Graphics cards such as the GT525M, GT540M and GT555M and the NVIDIA Optimus driver switches between either the Intel or NVIDIA card depending on the performance or battery life required.

Usually, if switching is not automatic then users can add manual profiles in the NVIDIA Control panel to force games to use the NVIDIA card, however Sonic Generations uses a game configuration tool (before you can run the game) which doesn’t recognise the NVIDIA card in any form. If you then try and force the game to use the NVIDIA Graphics card the game returns an error stating that the configuration file does not match my hardware.

Unfortunately at the moment in time there is only one way around this issue, and that is to use the Intel card to run the game, and this causes very poor frame rates.

I need to stress this is a flaw in the game itself rather than the NVIDIA Optimus driver, as other games work absolutely fine. Unfortunately Sonic Generations does not like detecting an Intel card and then being launched with the NVIDIA card.

Can this be acknowledged or addressed by SEGA and possibly fixed in a future patch? Currently the only workaround on the internet involves “extending desktops” within your laptop… and this doesn’t work for me or a lot of users. This link will take you to google results for the aforementioned issue where you can see a lot of people have the same problem.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...1531l1.5.3l9l0
    .5.3l9l0
    Last edited by vmagic; 11-07-2011 at 06:29 AM.

+1

I have exactly the same issue

I also suffered from Sonic Generations not recognizing my laptop graphics card (NVidia GT540M) but this workaround helped me: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

having same issue here with my GeForce 335M and intel integrated graphics... hopefully sega will release a patch or something to fix this issue

i managed to get this to work by following the instructions online regarding associating a display with optimus

Smile Fix that worked for me

I managed to play the game using my NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M on my ASUS N53S Laptop.

Here's how to step by step:
    1 ) Open your NVIDIA Control Panel(By right clicking on the desktop and selecting the "NVIDIA Control Panel")

2 ) On the 3D Settings List, Chose "Manage 3D Settings"

3 ) On the "Program Settings" tab, add the SonicGenerations.exe and ConfigurationTool.exe in your installation folder, then force both of them to use the High Performance NVIDIA processor. (Don't forget to apply the changes)

4 ) Open your "Screen Resolution" window (By right clicking on the desktop and selecting "Screen Resolution").

5 ) Click Detect

6 ) It should display additional monitors greyed out and saying "Another display not detected". Find the one that is not Intel Integrated Graphics but your High Performance NVIDIA Graphics (Whichever it is) and select it.

7 ) On the "Multiple displays", chose "Try to connect anyway on: VGA" (it can be another slot depending on your hardware).

8 ) Apply.

9 ) Again on the "Multiple dislpays", chose "Extend these displays".

10 ) Run the ConfigurationTool.exe, it should show your NVIDIA graphics card as a graphics adapter.

11 ) Select your main display which is Intel Integrated Graphics. (Do NOT select your NVIDIA card!!! Because it is not associated with a monitor.)

12 ) Run the game normally. It should work fine now.

I believe I figured out the problem. The main problem that the game is not running is because of the optimus technology. It makes the NVIDIA GPU sleep when it is not needed. But the game however checks the GPU it will use if it exists or not. Since the NVIDIA GPU is sleeping, the game cannot detect the GPU leading to a crash. We need to have the NVIDIA GPU awake before starting the game. This is only a trick to keep NVIDIA GPU awake before starting the game.

Hope this will work for you as well.
    Good luck =)
    Last edited by Helpfully; 11-09-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Simpler Way To Fix Your Screen Take Your Televison Remote Go To Setting And Move Your Screen To The Right

I have the same problem on my Acer Aspire 5750G
    Nvidia GT540M, driver version 285.62

I did the Workaround, the Configuration Tool shows the GeForce GT540M, I can select it,
    but when I try to run the game I still get the same error!

You should not select your graphic card in the configuration tool.
    Select the intel one again. That's how it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nex86 View Post
    I have the same problem on my Acer Aspire 5750G
    Nvidia GT540M, driver version 285.62

I did the Workaround, the Configuration Tool shows the GeForce GT540M, I can select it,
    but when I try to run the game I still get the same error!
    I have exactly the same machine (great, isn't it?). I can get this to work using the instructions provided. Make sure after you have done the thing with screen resolution that if you hover over the optimus icon in the system tray it says "NVIDIA GPU Activity: 1 display connected"

Basically you are associating a display with the GPU (i.e. the GT540 is on for everything on that screen)

Also, +1 to everyone who said make sure you don't select the GT 540M in the configuration tool, still choose the Intel HD - but crank up the resolution

NOTE: I have only done this on an external VGA monitor, for me the integrated card is just about fine when ran on the laptop screen and is better for power

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast